Snarky Brides
Options

DIY Wedding Day Makeup

If you did your own makeup the day of the wedding, did you invest in more expensive makeup?  Was it worth it?

I have really nice foundation and blush, but I don't know if it's worth it to spend lots o' money on the $16 eye shadows the Ulta lady used on me, or just get the eye shadow primer (if at all).

Re: DIY Wedding Day Makeup

• Options
    I did my own make up. I was going to have it professionally done, but the lady made me look like an old whore.

I just used all of my regular make up. I tried to just kick it up a notch from what I usually wear. After looking at pics, I think I went a little overboard on the eyeshadow, but luckily, I sweated most of it off after the ceremony anyway. :)
  • Options
    I was going to do my own, but my hairdresser is also a make up artist and threw in make up for free. She used a mix of my foundation and her eye shadows, and then I sprized my face with Model in a Bottle, and it lasted all day and night. I'd go with your stuff, take it up a notch like Cew did, and finish with a fixative spray. GL!
  • Options
    Cew, I thought your makeup looked great. 

Sarah, some things you might want to invest in if you're going the DIY route-  Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer.  Your eye makeup won't budge all day.  A good foundation primer would also help, and fixative spray like Bec said.  I like Make Up Forever's spray.

You don't need expensive eye shadow--they're all pretty much the same. 
  • Options
    Thanks Heels! :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I was definitely going to get a base primer for my foundation, but I'll get one for my eyes, as well, plus a fixative spray.  I didn't really see why expensive eye shadows would be better, if I had a good base in place.

I, myself, won't actually be doing it, but my BM who is a hair and make up wiz will be, so I just have to worry about the right products, and will trust in her the application.
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Pricier eye shadows usually show up better on your skin and are more highly pigmented, whereas the drugstore ones can be more sheer and chalky. But then there are some good drugstore ones too, I've always had decent luck with the Rimmel shadows and they're like $4 each. And drugstore eyeshadows are more prone to creasing or fading quickly but if you're using a good primer on your eyelids first, I think you should be ok :)
  • Options
    I was planning on doing my own and bought some nicer lipstick/gloss stuff, and a nice foundation. But then H's sister, who works for Mary Kay, offered to do my makeup and MOH's for free and she used her products. She used some kind of lip plumping gloss that made my mouth look awesome.
  • Options
    Oh god, I have never even heard of this stuff:  fixative spray?  Primer?  They sound like things I'd pick up at the hardware store.  This is why I'm having a friend do my makeup - I never wear the stuff and I'm completely clueless.  Is it worth it to go to a makeup counter and try stuff out, or will I just get a hard sell there? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diy-wedding-day-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:e340c3d0-3dcb-431d-bb7c-2f9413da44a1Post:a6e48d62-6c33-4f99-8899-f439f7ea4f7b">Re: DIY Wedding Day Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh god, I have never even heard of this stuff:  fixative spray?  Primer?  They sound like things I'd pick up at the hardware store.  This is why I'm having a friend do my makeup - I never wear the stuff and I'm completely clueless.  Is it worth it to go to a makeup counter and try stuff out, or will I just get a hard sell there? 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

<div>I went to an Ulta, where the consultants don't work on commission, so there was no pressure for me to buy anything.  I just took my friend who will be doing my make up with me, so she could see some techniques, and I could get an idea of what new products I would need.  If your friend isn't a professional, I'd definitely recommend doing that with her.</div>
  • Options
    I did my own.

Normally, I just wear lipstick and mascara, but for the wedding I went all out and put on some eyeliner too.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm planning on doing my own makeup. My MOH dragged me to MAC to do a trail and I thought I looked CRAZY.

This doesn't even capture it. I think this was only the first layer. It didn't look as bad in photographs, but I felt reallyyy uncomfortable.

Laura Mercier is a really good brand. I might use some of her stuff. Also the Perkect primer at Sephora is AMAZING. It's hella expensive, but you can always get samples Tongue out
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My FI and I are having a destination wedding, and since my daily beauty regimen consists of facial moisturizer and putting my hair into a ponytail, braid, or bun, I don't trust myself with doing my own makeup (OR hair) for our wedding....I'm paying the extra to have a professional do it, but I am going to see if they will allow me to use my products.  I use PurMinerals makeup since it doesn't clog my pores as badly as liquid foundation, and LOVE the coverage it provides.
  • Options

My mom is a district manager for Ulta (in texas) so thats awesome you went there to do your trial. I would for sure recommend using primers for foundation ( i love smashbox) and eyes. You will find alittle bit of a difference in say a cover girl eye shadow to a urban decay or ID bare minerals shadow. The way they smooth out will be alittle different. The better the shadow the better is smoothes. I dont wear a liquid foundation I use powder from Benefit cosmetics at Ulta I also use benefit blush (coralista). I think a good mascar is important too. I am getting a friend who has worked at Ulta for like 9 years to come to my venue and do my makeup.

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    Heels and/or Bec-where do you buy the fixative spray?  I don't wear make-up all that often.  When I do it usually doesn't last all that long past a couple of hours.  This might be my new best friend!
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • Options
    if you loved the colors the ulta lady used on you, i say yes. get them. you are saving money by doing your own makeup, and the shadows you buy will last for a long time. it's not like it will be a one-time use deal! i'm assuming she chose non-frosted shades that she knows will photograph well, and that's important.

and yes on the eye shadow primer.
  • Options
    Sarah - What counts as "frosted" colors?  She hooked me up with these two, and I'm not sure if they qualify, since they seem kind of frosty to me.  I had no idea frosted colors don't photograph well.

• Options
    I don't think those look like frost colors. To me frost colors are like shiny silvers, shiny blues, stuff like that. sorry for barging in. =)
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    JudieNJudieN member
    First Comment
    I went to Sephora and had them do a "test run" on me and brought a friend. I liked some of the colors...but I felt like Elvira with all the eyeliner. BUT I did buy some of the urban decay eyeshadow she used, and a couple of other products, including an eyeshadow primer. I figure I am not paying to have my makeup done, so spending a bit on nicer makeup that will last past the wedding...why not?!

The greatest part was that she gave me samples of the super-expensive, but nice, foundation and such that she used. So I will be able to recreate the not-scary aspects of what she did that day!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diy-wedding-day-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e340c3d0-3dcb-431d-bb7c-2f9413da44a1Post:6a708e28-8275-40fb-826e-04ad39b0d49d">Re: DIY Wedding Day Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah - What counts as "frosted" colors?  She hooked me up with these two, and I'm not sure if they qualify, since they seem kind of frosty to me.  I had no idea frosted colors don't photograph well. <a href="http://tinyurl.com/23e8xpx" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/23e8xpx</a> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/23wn3sp" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/23wn3sp</a>
    Posted by sarahmk5[/QUOTE]

Those do seem a bit frostier than I would imagine her picking without a contour color. They look like colors that would look gorgeous in person, but I would have also assumed she would pick a darker, non-frosted accent color for contouring and to make your eyes stand out more in photos. Were those the only 2 colors she used?
  • Options
    Did you take any pics of the way the Ulta girl did your makeup? If not, I'd go back, have her do your eyes again, take pics, and look at them on your computer before you decide whether or not to purchase the shadows. You can do your own eye makeup with your own shadows and take a pic of that to compare how each option photographs. I'd also wear a white shirt that day so you can make sure you don't look washed out or that it isn't too harsh. You're fair skinned (as am i), so it's you need to be careful not to go too far in either direction!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_diy-wedding-day-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:e340c3d0-3dcb-431d-bb7c-2f9413da44a1Post:36d9270f-7853-4881-97ec-492a2a731fbe">Re: DIY Wedding Day Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are having a destination wedding, and since my daily beauty regimen consists of facial moisturizer and putting my hair into a ponytail, braid, or bun, I don't trust myself with doing my own makeup (OR hair) for our wedding....I'm paying the extra to have a professional do it, but I am going to see if they will allow me to use my products.  I use PurMinerals makeup since it doesn't clog my pores as badly as liquid foundation, and LOVE the coverage it provides.
    Posted by stephanieg2009[/QUOTE]

I love using mineral makeup too, but I've heard it's not good for photos because it reflects a lot of light and can make you look ghosty.

I'm going to buy some primer and foundation (probably Smashbox) and fixitive (probably Make Up For Ever).  And maybe some new shadows and liner.  And some waterproof mascara because I normally on't wear it, but want some for the big day.  Yay Sephora shoping spree!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree about mineral makeup not being as flattering in pics as liquid foundation.  I wear PurMinerals on a daily basis, but I wear liquid foundation if I know there will be a camera around. (i've seen pics of people who used mineral makeup and it looked good, but I still wouldn't risk it!)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the help, Sarah.  I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately.  I had a formal that night, and I thought some would be taken, but none ended up happening.  I use matte mineral make up in my engagement pictures, and those turned out well, so I plan on sticking with that for the wedding.

ETA: Yes, those were the only two colors she used.  Sorry for the long response time, I had to run some errands.

I will go back and have my eyes redone, to see how they turn out with some different colors.
  • Options
    The Double Wear line from Estee Lauder is a MUST. It is all 15 hour wear, so you do not have to worry about reapplying all of your make-up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards