Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

9/11 Remembrance

Where were you on that tragic day? What were you doing? Did anything change for you? mentality, politic views, etc?

Re: 9/11 Remembrance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in a HS Geometry class.  I was just waiting for class to start when another math teacher came into the room telling us about it and turned on the TV for us.  I honestly didn't think it was real (the other teacher is a prankster).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had just woken up ( I was a senior in HS and didn't have to be in school until 10 am)  and walked into my living room as the 2nd plane crashed into the building.   My dad works for American Airlines and he was just sitting there in complete disbelief.   I kept asking him if that was real.   All I remember is wanting to go to war and kick some butt for whoever did it....but I think that was pretty much everyone's initial reaction.
  • Options
    lyndie_bethlyndie_beth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was my senior year. The bell just rang after first period English II with Mr. Hastings and a student ran in the room yelling that WW III just started. I thought it was a joke too. I'm not political but was so scared that something like that could happen to the US. Not that I thought we were above anything but I just never thought about it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was on my way to my criminal justice class at UTA when I heard the first reports on KISS fm. I was so frustrated because when I got to school I was very freaked out and tried to explain what was happening to a girl in my class and she was laughing and saying, "What is hijacking?? What's the World Trade Center?" My class started and the teacher just said that bad things happen and we have to move on. This while news reports were still coming in. I can't believe they didn't let us follow it. I had to wait until I was out of classes to find out the rest of what was going on.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in my apartment getting ready for class (I was in college) and I had left my TV on....I remember walking out of the bathroom and seeing this breaking news report and all the smoke and stuff and I couldn't find the remote to turn it up!  I finally found it and Tom Brokaw was telling about the plane crashing into the building....while I was watching it the second plane crashed into the other building.  I remember crying and being very scared....my mom called and told me not to go to school that day because we didn't know how many other attacks there would be.  It made me really really really mad and I wanted to go blow the those people off the face of the planet.  I think that's when I got very much into politics and really realized how fragile our freedom really is.
  • Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I heard a whisper of something from one of the girls in our spanish class that got a text from her dad but I didn't think anything of it...until we went to our next class which was English I think and the teacher just said despite what is happening we still need to have class. I had no clue what was going so I thought nothing of it. Then went to our government class and of course we watched the broadcast in that class and it was just really shocking. I didn't even see all the footage that day. I caught bits and peices of the parts that were shown while we were in school and I remember just being weighted down with sadness for all those people.A few years later I met a firefighter that had worked that day...he didn't get there til after the second tower fell because of traffic in one of the tunnels. I did get to hear his story which was pretty cool.I was glad we went to war. well, I mean as glad as one can be you know? War is a horrible thing but I see it as they started the war by that blatant act of terrorism. If we had done nothing, that would have been like an open invitation for others to think they could do the same thing and get away with it...we as a nation responded patriotically and I think we did the right thing in responding politically as well. Maybe that should have been posted on FFF hehe.
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a freshman at A&M going to my 9:00am Art History class.  I walked into the classroom right at 9:00 and it was completely empty, just the professor sitting in the front saying, the WTC is under attack, class is canceled, go watch the news. My class was in an art gallery at the MSC (student center), so there was a big screen TV in this area with couches where the students lounge, and there was just tons of students watching the TV in utter disbelief.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a junior in AP Biology and another teacher came in and told our teacher what was going on.  We all had TVs in our classrooms so they turned it on and we watched pretty much the rest of the day in all of our classes. My birthday is September 12th and I remember I had a big party planned and we were all going to go to the mall afterwards.  But my best friend that I've known since kindergarten and who was my MOH is Muslim, and after the word starting getting out who was responsible, her parents told her she couldn't leave the house because they were worried about her safety.  I remember sitting on the couch literally crying as I opened my birthday presents from my family.  Needless to say my birthday has not been the same, and I can only imagine what it's like for people born on September 11th.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a sophmore at Texas State.  It was weird because for some reason I turned on the TV that morning.  I never ever did that.  School was canceled and there were horrible rumors that all the colleges were going to be attacked.One of my good friends sister worked in that building, but she was running late that morning (thank god) and saw it happen while she was trying to get to work.  My friend couldn't get hols of her sister for hours that day and we were all thinking the worst.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It was my freshman year at A&M.  I was actually in a 3 hour bio lab, so I didn't find out until a lot later.  When my lab got out around 10 am, I walked over to the Pavilion to deposit money into my aggiebucks account that my dad sent for my birthday and I remember standing in line wondering why people were watching the TVs.  I walked back to my dorm, walking through the commons which also had a TV room with people around it.I finally made it back to my dorm (Rudder Hall) where my roommate Lindsey told me to call my mom right away.  She had called and woke up Lindsey telling her to turn on the TV.  That's when I finally heard what had happened, along with seeing a lot of instant messages on my computer. I did have bio class that afternoon, and he said we didn't have to sit through it if we didn't want to.I will never forget being a part of the red, white and blue out at Kyle field. In fact my graduation present from one of my friends was to pick out a Benjamin Knox print, and the one I picked has that scene in it.
  • Options
    amberproamberpro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was student teaching a 1st grade class and a TA went around and whispered to each teacher that something was going on.  The librarian set up TVs in the library and lounge and we snuck away whenever we could for updates.  During lunch, the lounge was silent.  We all ate and watched the news without a word. Interesting that you asked... I told my students that they would get extra credit if they went home and wrote a journal about where their parents were when they found out and their feelings about it.
    photo images_zps41edd072.jpg

Carter born 5/28/11
    BFP 9/27/12 EDD 6/11/13, MC 9wks, no HB

• Options
    untsinguntsing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was a sophomore at UNT. I was getting ready at my house when the first plane crashed, and I heard my stepmom say "someone flew into the world trade center."  I stopped drying my hair and went into the living room and we watched together as the second building was hit.  I drove to school and was late to class because i didn't want to stop listening to the radio in my car. Just before classes were canceled for the day, I went into my music theory class.  Dr. Cho, a devout Christian, handed out the day's hymn (we used hymns to practice sight-singing).  He asked us to please sing the words instead of the solfege syllables (do re mi, etc), and 120 music students sang "Nearer My God to Thee" in four part harmony.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a sophmore in hs, but since I homeschooled, was taking classes at NorthLake, and was getting ready for class. We found out when my grandmother called in a panic asking if my dad was in NY, and practically begging for him to not be in NYC (he was actually in Boston, and fine, tho cell calls were hard to get since the circuits were so full), and telling us what happened. We just turned on the TV and were trying to make sense of it when the 2nd tower hit. The other family we went to school with came over, told us also, and we huddled around the TV- my friend's mom was crying, worried about her son who had just turned 18 and worrying that we would re-institute the draft. I just remember hearing the quote from FDR after Pearl Harbor on repeat in my head- "This is a day that will live on in infamy" (or something close- I can't remember it now!) Needless to say I skipped class, and we all went to church at noon- I haven't seen the UD chapel that full ever!As for change... it did make me realize that we're not as invincible as we thought, and how we need to protect what we have. My FI is currently deployed to Iraq, and people I know casually who are more liberal politically are always suprised that I wholeheartedly support the war, even tho it has taken him away from me for the past year. Who can remember the fear we all felt on 9/11/01 and not support doing everything we can to keep it from happening again?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I lived in Denver.  I was asleep, and a call from a friend from Dallas woke me up.  He told me what had happened, but I was too groggy to realize what he said until he repeated himself.  I think I spent the rest of the day watching the news. I called my sister to wish her a happy birthday.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I remember so much about it vividly, and I think I knew right away that I always would. I was 19, and in my second year of college. I was commuting from Carrollton to Denton at the time, and I was on my way to my 9:00 Women in Music class. The George Bush Turnpike had just been finished, and I was heading towards 35, just past Josey when I heard about it (also on KISS FM, Cheryl). I still get jumpy when I hear the siren for a breaking news announcement. I cried in my car all the way to Denton, and we watched the news during class. I remember everyone crying, and one friend in particular was almost hysterical because her sister was in NYC at the time, and she couldn't reach her. After class, I went back home and sat in front of the tv all day. I remember my younger sister saying that her friends were mad because they cancelled all of the high school games that night. My main reaction was that I wanted to pull all of my loved ones closer to me. My dad was supposed to fly that day. Obviously, his flight was cancelled, but it's crazy to think about that.And someone mentioned birthdays - FI's sister's birthday is today, and his brother's is tomorrow. I think it's ok now, but I can't imagine what it must have been like the first few years.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in HS. Sophomore Geometry. I remember my teacher bringing in the TV, and us all watching it in disbelief. I was TERRIFIED. I remember everyone talking about it in the halls..I get chills every time I see footage on that day. My MOH's birthday is September 12th, so of course it was a horrible birthday for her that year. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards