Snarky Brides

What movie is BETTER than the book??

With all this talk about books and reading and movies, I thought I'd ask everyone - are there any cases where the movie is actually BETTER than the book?? 

I've been sitting here for a while and I honestly can not think of one instance where the movie was better...unless the movie came out first.  Anyone have any to share?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??

• DANG I was talking to someone about a month ago about this and we came up with a good answer and now I can't remember.
    Hold while I research...
  • http://www.policymic.com/articles/7523/5-movies-that-are-better-than-the-book

I would remove Hunger Games, because I thought the first book was great, and I would maybe throw in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
  • I agree, Hunger Games should not be on that list.  And I really liked the Dragon Tattoo books, although the movie was phenomenal.

And most movies are based on books, but sometimes a popular movie will be turned into a book just for extra profit.  I can't think of one off the top of my head but I always see "A novel based off of the hit movie "..."" in the book store when I'm looking around :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:2db09d0f-246d-48f4-b0db-ad1f0bab3036">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, Hunger Games should not be on that list.  And I really liked the Dragon Tattoo books, although the movie was phenomenal. And most movies are based on books, but sometimes a popular movie will be turned into a book just for extra profit.  I can't think of one off the top of my head but I always see "A novel based off of the hit movie "..."" in the book store when I'm looking around :)
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

I found a list of 50 movies, but I didn't post the link. Half of them I seriously didn't even know there was a book. Like Jaws or the Godfather.
  • Just because of the way they did the scene when he fought himself. I thought the movie Fight Club was better than the book.

But that is the only one I thought was better.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Fight Club?!? better than the book? Thats interesting, I LOVE chuck palnuick(sp) just the way he writes is amazing...Have you read invisible monsters?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:90ea9bac-4de7-4aa1-973c-454ffb661d7b">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh what about the movie <strong>Carrie?</strong>  The book was written weird but I really liked the movie.  I'm referring to the original here.
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

Shoutout to the movie I was named after!
    (My parents are quirky)
  • I didn't look at the link, but Children of Men is a much better film than a book. The book is very stiff and cold and comes of aristocratic, versus the movie which feels very earthy, gritty, and emotional.
  • I liked the movie Stardust, which came out about 6 years ago, better than the book by Neil Gaimen. It may be because I think I'm not the biggest fan of his writing style for some reason. I completely stopped reading one of his other books, American Gods, because I just couldn't get into it.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I like the Lord of the Rings movies better than the books, but that is just because I find Tolkien overly dry and detail-oriented...NMS.

I also like the movie The Counte of Monte Cristo...not sure I like it BETTER than the book, but I like them both for different reasons, and I think it's one of the better adaptations of a book where the things they changed enhanced the movie rather than ruining it.

I purposely try to watch movies before I read the books, because I think there is a bias that once you've lived in the book during reading it, you're automatically going to be hyper-critical of the movie.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:8314a1d8-df87-4f7e-a43e-c1e5f720139a">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE] I purposely try to watch movies before I read the books, because I think there is a bias that once you've lived in the book during reading it, you're automatically going to be hyper-critical of the movie.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I think for suspenseful stories, I'd rather be in a book than a movie. I enjoy the overall experience more if I read it first. Only a few times have I loved a movie so much that I go back and read the book. I much prefer to read it first.
  • I second Stardust (although I still really enjoyed the book), but one that hasn't come up is The Princess Bride.  Granted, I was too young when I read it to realize it was a satire, but I remember it dragging on, and on, and on with too much dead space between the really good punchlines and way too many 50 page digressions. 
  • I know this isn't quite your question, but I thought a movie that did the book justice was The Time Travelers Wife. It obviously wasn't as good, but I think the translation into to movie form worked well. For the most part the Harry Potter movie series were great too. Also, the Game of Thrones HBO series has done a pretty nice job of making the books come to life - though they took some liberties at the end of the last season with what actually happened in the book. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:8314a1d8-df87-4f7e-a43e-c1e5f720139a">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE] I purposely try to watch movies before I read the books, because I think there is a bias that once you've lived in the book during reading it, you're automatically going to be hyper-critical of the movie.

<div>While I do agree I'm probably over critical of a movie based on a book I've read, I wouldn't exchange that for reading the book first. I always find it interesting to see how I've imagined characters, worlds, etc. be brought to life by someone else's imagination. I sometimes really like what they do, other times not so much. I find that when I see the movie first, someone else's mind has created that imagery for me, and I can't think of anything else while reading it. I saw the first Harry Potter movie before reading the books, and I will now always imagine all the main characters to look the way the do in the movie - even when I've read the whole series 3 times.</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:cac45ce5-61df-460a-820f-07a17a59b5f1">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What movie is BETTER than the book?? : While I do agree I'm probably over critical of a movie based on a book I've read, I wouldn't exchange that for reading the book first. I always find it interesting to see how I've imagined characters, worlds, etc. be brought to life by someone else's imagination. I sometimes really like what they do, other times not so much. I find that when I see the movie first, someone else's mind has created that imagery for me, and I can't think of anything else while reading it. I saw the first Harry Potter movie before reading the books, and I will now always imagine all the main characters to look the way the do in the movie - even when I've read the whole series 3 times.
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That is fair, I will admit it's harder to get the characters out of your mind or see things differently if you've seen the movie first, but if a book is well-written enough, I find my imagination will take care of the rest. </div><div>
    </div><div>I acknowledge I'm an odd-ball for this, but I can still thoroughly enjoy a book after seeing the movie adaptation of it. I will also admit to being a movie fiend, so it is my preferred method of story-consumption.

</div>
  • I can think of only one - Cold Mountain.  I liked both the book and the movie; however, I'm throwing it in here because one of the things that distracted me in the book is during Inman's journey home (and it was a long journey), there seemed to be so much narrative about his meals.  I know he struggled but... squirrel...after squirrel...after greasy squirrel. Yikes.
  • I liked the movie version of Phantom of the Opera better than the book. That might be different if I spoke French though, since I'm sure it had a lot to do with not translating well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I was younger I loved Arnold Schwarzennegger movies and watched them religiously.  One of the them was The Running Man.  Then I read the book.  They are so far apart on what they are about.  At the time I liked the movie better, because duh Ahhhnold was in it.  Now, I don't know, the book is pretty good. 

Side note...The movie Starship Troopers rocks as a totally stupid movie.  The book it is based on...AMAZING!  It has the same name, basic plot, but it goes so much deeper.  If you haven't read the book because of the movie, please reconsider. 

• Twilight...movies definitely surpass the chilidish and repetative writing of the books. and i  also agree, lord of the rings is better than its book. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:0dbf6744-bb04-4270-a4fa-8b0c83389f2d">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I liked the movie Stardust, which came out about 6 years ago, better than the book by Neil Gaimen. It may be because I think I'm not the biggest fan of his writing style for some reason. I completely stopped reading one of his other books, American Gods, because I just couldn't get into it.
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]

This!  This is how I feel exactly.<div>Also, I tend to like movie-musicals better than the books they were based on.  Examples that come to mind are Mary Poppins and Phantom of the Opera and Wizard of Oz.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:8314a1d8-df87-4f7e-a43e-c1e5f720139a">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the Lord of the Rings movies better than the books, but that is just because I find Tolkien overly dry and detail-oriented...NMS. I also like the movie The Counte of Monte Cristo...not sure I like it BETTER than the book, but I like them both for different reasons, and I think it's one of the better adaptations of a book where the things they changed enhanced the movie rather than ruining it. I purposely try to watch movies before I read the books, because I think there is a bias that once you've lived in the book during reading it, you're automatically going to be hyper-critical of the movie.

I agree about Lord of the Rings -- the books are way too detail oriented.

I loved the Count of Monte Cristo (move) and I hated the book. For some reason it really bugged me. Moll Flanders (the one with Robin Wright-Penn) was a great movie based on a horrible book. It kind of reminded me of Forrest Gump. He's lovable in the movie, and kind of a jerkwad in the book.

The only other one I can think of is Chocolat. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie. The book is just okay.
    planning

• I really liked I Am Legend (the movie with Will Smith) - the book was kind of meh to me.  I generally don't like horror-type stuff though.  It has been made into several movies over the years.

I had the same Harry Potter problem as PP - saw a few of the movies (didn't much care for the early ones either) before I read the books.  I really enjoyed the books but the characters were definitely hard to picture any differently than the movie characters. 
  • A Walk to Remember and The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.

There was one part in the A Walk to Remember book that was good, it explains an aspect of the movie that bothered me. Other than that I'm not a fan of Sparks' writing style and the stories come off as, well, boring. The film makers give the stories more much-needed drama. And I'm not one that needs too much drama, so that's saying something. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:34ea3bd7-d57e-4a1c-a94c-fb26af6a7edd">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fight Club?!? better than the book? Thats interesting, I LOVE chuck palnuick(sp) just the way he writes is amazing...Have you read invisible monsters?
    Posted by brittany634[/QUOTE]

It was only the way they changed that one part. It almost made more sense in the movie.

yes I have! I love him too. my next one I plan on reading is survivors
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • I think the Twilight movies are better than the books but I don't think either is particularly great.

The movie Notes on a Scandal was better than the book IMO.

The movie Into the Wild was, to me, as well done as the book, though they took some liberties that would piss me off if I were the family.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:668bbcf8-28d2-4293-9076-0d16ccdc72ff">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]A Walk to Remember and The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. There was one part in the A Walk to Remember book that was good, it explains an aspect of the movie that bothered me. Other than that I'm not a fan of Sparks' writing style and the stories come off as, well, boring. The film makers give the stories more much-needed drama. And I'm not one that needs too much drama, so that's saying something. 
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree. I think Nicholas Sparks movies are much better than the books.  Ones that come to mind are The Lucky One and Last Song. I enjoyed the movies but the books are painfully slow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-movie-is-better-than-the-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f1529886-a8e0-4db9-81f0-29ea8f046fb8Post:34ea3bd7-d57e-4a1c-a94c-fb26af6a7edd">Re: What movie is BETTER than the book??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fight Club?!? better than the book? Thats interesting, I LOVE chuck palnuick(sp) just the way he writes is amazing...Have you read invisible monsters?
    Posted by brittany634[/QUOTE]

What?!  I had no idea there was a fight club book.  I'm going to buy it at lunch.  Thanks!
    PS - I LOVE chuck palnuick, so I'm super excited right about meow.
    ;)
  • I'm a little late but I wanted to jump in with my two cents.

Carrie the book was not good, in my opinion, but I enjoyed the original movie.

I think Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was a better movie, the book just dragged on.

I also think the Godfather and Godfather 2 were better movies than books. The Godfather book was okay but I actually couldn't finish the Godfather Returns--too slow, too many characters and it jumped around too much.

I agree that reading the book before the movie can make you hyper critical in the movie (part of the reason I don't like the harry potter movies) but it can also give you background info that you can't get in the movie. Like Princess Bride that someone mentioned, it stuck surprisingly close to the book which is unusual for an adaptation but you wouldn't have known anything about Indigo or Fezzic's pasts without it. I think it makes for a richer movie watching experience sometimes. But I'm biased because it's one of my favorites and I've read it like a hundred times lol.

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards