Snarky Brides
Options

Tell me if this is a bad idea....

This might be a really stupid idea, so tell me what you think...

We have a few (4) people who are really close to us who will likely not be able to travel to our wedding. These people are my grandma, FI's grandma, and a couple who we consider to be our best friends. Our grandma's are thinking they don't want to get on planes (being over 90 years old) and the couple is expecting a baby a couple of weeks after the wedding. Since it's really important for us to share our day with them, would it be dumb to set up a video link (skype or something) for them to be able to watch and us to be able to say hello to all of them? I wouldn't do this for anyone except these 4 people. Thoughts??

CN: A couple of special people can't come to wedding. What do you think about video chat so they can watch?

Re: Tell me if this is a bad idea....

• Options
    I think it's a good idea.  Will there be something on the other end to help the grands handle their side of the technology?
  • Options
    I think that sounds like a lovely idea.
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Options
    Both grandma's live in retirement home places with staff that can set it up for them (I think)....
  • Options
    MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    That's really thoughtful of you - great idea!
  • Options
    Then it sounds good to me. 

I know my Granny would love that kind of thing if she couldn't travel.
  • Options
    I like it! It's a nice way to include everyone.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm glad you don't think its strange....I think we'll try it...anyone ever done this before??
  • Options
    Friends of ours did this for a grandpa who was in the hospital at the time of their wedding. The staff were more than happy to help him down to the library area and hook him up with Skype. It was pretty straightforward, but I would call the retirement home and speak with either a nurse manager or a recreation person to see how you should proceed.

This is really sweet of you to do. :)
  • Options
    Definitely agree with PP! This is a great way to include everyone who is unable to attend in person.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think its a good idea. I wnet to a destination wedding  in Cuba where they did this for the people who couldn't make it for w/e reason.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    Go for it!
  • Options
    This is a wonderful idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say that this is a great idea! Though depending on where you're having your wedding you might want to make sure internet is not only going to be available but is also reliable. You wouldn't want the call to fail or freeze right in the middle of the cerimony! Smile Also talking to the head nurse or recreation manger is a must :)
    Great idea and good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Wedding tickers What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ by Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
  • Options
    While I really appreciate this idea, I just wanted to add some tips:

1) When you Skype (after they watch the ceremony or whatever) make sure you're in a secluded room so all the extra noise won't distract either sides of the computer screen

2) Make time for the "call" and include extra time for bad connection or problems

3) Have fun! [: 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tell-this-bad-idea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f5a1c1c8-d6ec-4d00-a0ba-75a7e697ecd9Post:af42967a-efda-4430-8ec3-7db27dfef6c9">Re: Tell me if this is a bad idea....</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you page Snippy on Etiquette, I know they web-broadcasted their wedding.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! I will!</div>
  • Options
    Our venue, provided our wedding can take place outside (please weather gods!) will simulcast it on their website.  So, those of our friends and family that couldn't make it can go onto the website and check it out. 

I think skype-ing it is a great idea!
  • Options
    I'm late to this, but I got married in Las Vegas. A live broadcast on a password-protected website was included, so we were able to send it to my grandmothers and some friends who weren't able to come and they were able to watch the ceremony "live," or later on (I forgot how long it was active). I think they were both delighted to be able to see it.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards