Snarky Brides
Options

Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated

As I sit here and spend the last few days of my vacation writing a thank you note to every single person who gave us any kind of wedding gift or card, I'm realizing that I never received a thank you card for any of the gifts I gave for the three of the four weddings I have attended as an adult. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

And a small part of me can't help but be just a little irritated that several of our friends didn't even give us so much as a card. I don't really care about not getting a gift (we don't need more "stuff" anyway) but at least a card with a handwritten note would have been lovely. Especially since we tweaked and wrangled with our budget endlessly to make sure we could invite our friends. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated

• Options
    That is annoying.  Typical, but annoying.  Good for you for sending your thank you notes out promptly regardless.
  • Options
    When people don't need stuff but register for gifts anyway that makes me irritated too. So how about this: I don't give you a gift, you don't get stuck on your vacation writing me a thank you note. Deal?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_writing-thank-yous-makes-me-irritated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fbb84f68-8b7c-478f-841c-52d9833d4d2ePost:ed7927a7-10da-49d7-b9e3-e8158a5db5ce">Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated</a>:
    [QUOTE]When people don't need stuff but register for gifts anyway that makes me irritated too. So how about this: I don't give you a gift, you don't get stuck on your vacation writing me a thank you note. Deal?
    Posted by Corgnilias[/QUOTE]

<div>And you get to decide if they do or don't need gifts how?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_writing-thank-yous-makes-me-irritated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fbb84f68-8b7c-478f-841c-52d9833d4d2ePost:ed7927a7-10da-49d7-b9e3-e8158a5db5ce">Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated</a>:
    [QUOTE]When people don't need stuff but register for gifts anyway that makes me irritated too. So how about this: I don't give you a gift, you don't get stuck on your vacation writing me a thank you note. Deal?

How do you know OP registered for gifts?
  • Options

I don't think anyone really <em>needs</em> gifts.  You sound like a peach.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_writing-thank-yous-makes-me-irritated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fbb84f68-8b7c-478f-841c-52d9833d4d2ePost:13578945-86d3-4e13-8084-5808cda29637">Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated : I don't think anyone really needs gifts.  You sound like a peach.
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My goodness, it's sarcasm. No need for name calling. 

</div>
  • Options
    simplestlifesimplestlife member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012

<div>Why would that make you irritated? No one really NEEDS any of the gifts they register for. They are all wants.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't really need gifts, and a heartfelt card or note means the world to me. But I'd rather get things I can use than filling my home with things that will immediately go into storage in some closet or another. </div><div>
    </div><div>Never mind the fact that if you <strong>don't </strong>register every single family member will hound you (at a time that you're already busy trying to plan the wedding) asking you what you would like.  And telling people "Don't worry, you don't need to get me anything." is just met with frustration and irritation on their part because apparently you're making things harder on them.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was the LAST of all my college roomates to get married at the ripe age of 29!  (and there were four of them through the four years - they lived with my & my hometown college roommate, and then got married right away!)

Anyway, my mom ALWAYS brings up how one of my roommates never sent a thank you card to my parents for their gift.  It was a wedding a few states away from ours. At the end of the reception, the mother of the bride sat on the porch of the reception place opening all of their cards, and taking all of the money out for them to use on their honeymoon. 

My mom was appalled!  She had never seen anything like it, and is certain because of my roomie's mom's actions, that is why she never got a thank you card. 

To each their own!  But acknowledging the gift is indeed the right thing to do!  Good for you! 
    PS Isn't your new hubby helping??
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_writing-thank-yous-makes-me-irritated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fbb84f68-8b7c-478f-841c-52d9833d4d2ePost:df31b184-5a8d-42cf-ad79-bd03f2480487">Re: Writing Thank Yous makes me irritated</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was the LAST of all my college roomates to get married at the ripe age of 29!  (and there were four of them through the four years - they lived with my & my hometown college roommate, and then got married right away!) Anyway, my mom ALWAYS brings up how one of my roommates never sent a thank you card to my parents for their gift.  It was a wedding a few states away from ours. At the end of the reception, the mother of the bride sat on the porch of the reception place opening all of their cards, and taking all of the money out for them to use on their honeymoon.  My mom was appalled!  She had never seen anything like it, and is certain because of my roomie's mom's actions, that is why she never got a thank you card.  To each their own!  But acknowledging the gift is indeed the right thing to do!  Good for you!  <strong>PS Isn't your new hubby helping??</strong>
    Posted by Joyfull23[/QUOTE]

<div>A little. But he had to go straight back to work the day after we got back from the honeymoon, whereas I'm a teacher and have another week before I have to start lesson planning for the new school year.</div><div>
    </div><div>The idea of someone going through the cards without keeping track makes me cringe. My dad opened our cards for us after we left for our honeymoon, but he actually made a copy of each check or cash inside each card (and put the copy into the card) before depositing the money while we were on vacation. We weren't so concerned about having the money right away (it's all going to savings anyway) I just didn't want people who had written checks to have to wait three weeks before the check went through.</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards