October 2013 Weddings
Options

No Dancing?

I want to put the feelers out on this one, what does everyone think of no dancing at the reception. Would you be ok with it if it was replaced with something else?

Note my groom is not a dancer he'll do 1-2 dances with me max if we have a dance floor. Due to medical reasons though I am very active I wipe out by 10:30 most nights and I cant dance for more than 20-30 minutes during the evening. I feel it will be odd to have a dance floor with limited dancing. We are also as stated considering a Disney wedding which will mean a mostly family affair.

In place of dancing we are considering one of the following scenarios or the third with limited dancing.

Scenario 1:
Morning ceremony
Brunch
1 dance
Go to Epcot
Meet up for Dinner with those who choose to come
Cake and Desserts under fireworks

Scenario 2:
Evening Ceremony
Formal Dinner
Cake and Desserts under fireworks

Scenario 3:
Afternoon Ceremony
Early Dinner
3 hours of dancing
Epcot Fireworks Cake cutting

Note scenario 3 is the most expensive it will depend on numbers and a few other things for us. The 3 hours of dancing I could actually disapear for 1 hour of to change because I cant wear my dress in the park. We are looking at 25-40 people if we go the larger wedding at disney route.
DIStickers.com Ticker

Re: No Dancing?

• Options
    If you and your FI aren't big dancers, there's no reason it needs to be a big part of your wedding. I think it's a good idea to have some sort of activity or entertainment that's more reflective of the two of you though.

Scenario 1 seems a little spread out and potentially disorganized to me, but it would depend on your family/guests and what they're comfortable with. Scenario 2 sounds nice. You could add another activity, but it wouldn't be necessary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How old are most of the people you are inviting?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    Many will be family. I think we'll have a handful of small children 4-5 of them. We will have about 10-15 people in the 25-45 range and 15-20 in the 55+ range.  We are also nixing alcohol but our families arent drinkers. We are talking about doing an entire day at epcot after the reception currently with fireworks in the evening we may up the budget to allow for this. Ceremonies at epcot have to be at 9am before the park opens our photos would be at 8am. We'd do brunch at about 10am on the peninsula infront of Italy. The brunch would be about 2 hours then we'd release everyone into the park. I'd be taken backstage at this time to change into park friendly attire then allowed back into the park. We'd probably have a "late lunch" meet up option as well since we'll pay in advance for our wedding we'd pay for this for anyone who wants to show we'd make an advanced reservation for this. The fireworks show will be about 8:30 meet up we'd do desserts and cake cutting at the same plaza we had brunch. The plaza at italy is right on the water and one of the best viewing spots for Illuminations.  I'd really love to be married at epcot and my FI knows this he feels if it means 3-5k more in the budget its worth it. We may however move our date to veterans day to allow an extra 30 days to pay it.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    I would have no problem with no dancing at a wedding. I have danced professionally, and honestly, I don't want to dance all the time! haha So, as a dancer, I'd totally be a-ok with no dancing.

The whole Disney thing is very different to me, however. There is totally enough going on that 3 hours of dance floor time is not necessary.  Option 1 is really cool, but it would be tough to coordinate. Option 2 is more "standard" but you wouldn't need to be in Disney to have that.

Is there any option to have the ceremony, formal-ish brunch with one or two dances, and then spend the remainder of the day in the park? You then wouldn't need a formal dinner/dessert - and could all watched the fireworks together. (That might have been what you were going for with option 1 - your dinner might be from a cart/vendor in the park for those that choose to stay together.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    I say nix option three. I like option 2 because it is closer together, however, if you feel your guests would like to go in the park and do whatever during the day and your budget allows for it, do it. It is your day, a day you will remember forever.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_no-dancing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:1cf65579-c785-4314-a120-e8b685e978c8Post:a8202674-2614-4368-97ab-48dd75637d60">Re: No Dancing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would have no problem with no dancing at a wedding. I have danced professionally, and honestly, I don't want to dance all the time! haha So, as a dancer, I'd totally be a-ok with no dancing. The whole Disney thing is very different to me, however. There is totally enough going on that 3 hours of dance floor time is not necessary.  Option 1 is really cool, but it would be tough to coordinate. Option 2 is more "standard" but you wouldn't need to be in Disney to have that. Is there any option to have the ceremony, formal-ish brunch with one or two dances, and then spend the remainder of the day in the park? You then wouldn't need a formal dinner/dessert - and could all watched the fireworks together. (That might have been what you were going for with option 1 - your dinner might be from a cart/vendor in the park for those that choose to stay together.)
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

There is that option, but Illuminations is my favorite fireworks show at Disney :). This is why we want to encorporate it in our wedding.

We may choose to not get married at epcot and instead do the gazebo for the ceremony with the reception either at epcot or near the gazebo then busing everyone over for cake and fireworks. The gazebo we could get married at 10, 12, 2 or 5pm. I'd do 2 to offer a meal and dancing or 5 to just do a meal at epcot with fireworks. Its only the park locations that only do morning ceremonies, this includes the castle. The castle isnt my dream though and with a 10k cost for the ceremony its a no way even if I was filthy rich.

Disney runs weddings like a military operation this is why we are heavily leaning towards this route with the rediculous costs of weddings we'd like to atleast have less stress involved.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    Here is the basic information on Disney Weddings. We are leaning towards a small Wishes wedding :)

http://disneyweddings.disney.go.com/
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Were exactly is your wedding going to be held. I'm a Cast member and there is a reception venue in EPCOT that you can reserve if you want to do the reception/cake cutting durring the Reflections of Earth Show. But usually what your planner will suggest is that if you want them to play in the parks have your reception sooner.

Usually you can nix the parks & dancing by having your after recption party at a location on the boardwalk
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Options
    dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    We are still talking logistics of where and when we may move the wedding back to thanksgiving weekend. I will either have a gazebo wedding, or a italy wedding. We are considering doing the gazebo in the evening and then doing our reception in italy west with dinner and then dessert/cake cutting under the fireworks.  I really love epcot I'd love to just let everyone have at it in my favorite park meeting up a couple of times after a nice brunch. Epcot actually has multiple venues for dessert parties but since my herritage is Italian and they have a great viewing location we're leaning towards that.

Edited to add Disney has shuttle buses for weddings so people moving wont be an issue at all.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards