October 2013 Weddings
Options

How far along is everyone with their planning?

I am getting married 10/26/13 and feel like I should be farther along with everything. I have my venue and dress but not real sure on decor, I havent nailed down colors yet. I have changed themes and colors too many times to count and even changed my venue and date once already. Sigh..please tell me I am not the only one who doesnt know what they want.

Re: How far along is everyone with their planning?

• Options
    Welcome! We're wedding date twins. :) I am "on track" as far as planning goes. You can plan everything in the next 7 months, so there's no reason for you to stress out.

Although, if you're sure on your date & venue & have the guest list finalized, I suggest sending out your STDs soon. I've seen things saying you should send STDs as soon as 4 months and as far out as 10 months. (Personally, I'd go with somewhere in the 6-8 month range, since invites are "supposed to be" sent out at the 3 month mark)

Have you talked to your FI about what kind of wedding he wants?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-far-along-is-everyone-with-their-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:500fee99-41db-4bb0-924e-a35284909cbaPost:ef6b98d7-bd14-4162-9352-febe3f8cca9e">How far along is everyone with their planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married 10/26/13 and feel like I should be farther along with everything. I have my venue and dress but not real sure on decor, I havent nailed down colors yet. I have changed themes and colors too many times to count and even changed my venue and date once already. Sigh..please tell me I am not the only one who doesnt know what they want.
    Posted by beachgirl910[/QUOTE]
    We don't have a theme besides wedding, and we both want a wedding, so yay! Wedding!

I don't even know if we're gonna do decor. The wedding I enjoyed the most had absolutely no decor and it was awesome, so we haven't done that. We're not having flowers because we have a few guests with severe flower allergies.

We're getting married on 10/19, and right now, we have a venue, my whole wedding day outfit, cake baker, officiant, hair stylist, makeup artist, jeweler, photographer, wedding party (who are picking their own attire), guest list (except for my parents' list, as they've been busy with my mom recovering from brain surgery) and caterer. We sent save the dates last weekend and are still deciding what invitations we want.

I don't think we have a whole lot left to do.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-far-along-is-everyone-with-their-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:500fee99-41db-4bb0-924e-a35284909cbaPost:ef6b98d7-bd14-4162-9352-febe3f8cca9e">How far along is everyone with their planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married 10/26/13 and feel like I should be farther along with everything. I have my venue and dress but not real sure on decor, I havent nailed down colors yet. I have changed themes and colors too many times to count and even changed my venue and date once already. Sigh..please tell me I am not the only one who doesnt know what they want.
    Posted by beachgirl910[/QUOTE]<div>
    Hi! Welcome to the boards!<div>
    </div><div>Honestly, I have not felt that way.  I came to the realization that it really doesn't matter, and you can't let the little things take over.  It is going to be an extremely special and important day for you and your FI and your families, so it really doesn't matter if the napkins are pink or silver, ya know?</div><div>
    </div><div>I would suggest just making one decision at a time, and then not thinking about it or worrying if you made the right choice. There are no wrong choices and although you do have time to put it together before October, it is starting to get close.</div><div>
    </div><div>And, if you are having a really hard time nailing anything down, step back and be sure this is what you want to do. I don't necessarily mean getting married in general, but just 'big wedding" vs. "eloping." If you have many reservations, there could be some background there.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck!</div></div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    We are also wedding date twins! I second what SewInLove said about taking things one thing at a time. Don't let yourself get too stressed out thinking that you are way behind. Pretty much the only thing I have done now is I have my venue and I have my photographer booked. A family friend cooks so she is doing our catering for us. I also don't have a theme so I don't feel like its that big of a deal. I would say right now focus on the things that need to be booked for that day, ex. photographer, caterer, DJ, so that you can make sure and have that lined up then focus on the stuff like flowers, cake, dress, and so on.

I see your in NC, what part? I am in the sandhills area
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Welcome!  Most of us are farther along in planning and we have been around here for awhile.  But, that doesn't mean you can't do it!

Also, we like new members of the Board to look at the sticky at the top of the Board and fill out a Getting to Know You post.  We want to know a bit about you!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-far-along-is-everyone-with-their-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:500fee99-41db-4bb0-924e-a35284909cbaPost:d0845cbe-a9da-4b47-a487-d7b5fbeb32f3">Re: How far along is everyone with their planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are also wedding date twins! I second what SewInLove said about taking things one thing at a time. Don't let yourself get too stressed out thinking that you are way behind. Pretty much the only thing I have done now is I have my venue and I have my photographer booked. A family friend cooks so she is doing our catering for us. I also don't have a theme so I don't feel like its that big of a deal. I would say right now focus on the things that need to be booked for that day, ex. photographer, caterer, DJ, so that you can make sure and have that lined up then focus on the stuff like flowers, cake, dress, and so on. I see your in NC, what part? I am in the sandhills area
    Posted by rebeccalayne[/QUOTE]

HI! I live in Concord NC, I am from Wilmington originally :) So excited about planning and counting down with my wedding date twins :)
  • Options
    yaay! I feel so much better after reading everyones responses. I think I was getting overwhelmed. My finance was the reason I switched venues. our original venue was at a prestigious country club with filet and crab cakes and the whole 9 yards but he is more of the outdoor type so we switched to a vineyard and are now having a rustic fall vineyard theme which i think is more us. I did lose the $1000 deposit but I am saving about 4,000 overall so its not a huge deal.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-far-along-is-everyone-with-their-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:500fee99-41db-4bb0-924e-a35284909cbaPost:9be84658-0f55-46b9-9b55-f8ff093ce830">Re: How far along is everyone with their planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome!  Most of us are farther along in planning and we have been around here for awhile.  But, that doesn't mean you can't do it! Also, we like new members of the Board to look at the sticky at the top of the Board and fill out a Getting to Know You post.  We want to know a bit about you!
    Posted by Rochelle041[/QUOTE]

OK :) Thanks for making me feel so welcome. I will do that today.
  • Options
    archerstararcherstar member
    First Comment
    edited March 2013

We were just engaged on Valentine' Day and we're getting married 10/25. So far we have booked the reception (which is also the ceremony site), the minister, photographer, florist, DJ, booked a block of hotel rooms, created a website, just received our save the dates which should go out next month. Just trying to get a few more addresses on our guest list. We had our tasting over the weekend and pretty much finalized the menu. We won't be having a cake but passed desserts instead. I also just booked a bagpiper that will play as the guests arrive and as I come down the aisle.  I knew for a while that we would be getting engaged so I pretty much had all my colors picked out and knew what I wanted, so putting it into play was pretty easy :)

I'm shopping for my dress this weekend and once I have that I'll get the bridesmaid dresses, which will be little black dresses. After that, invitations!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-far-along-is-everyone-with-their-planning?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:500fee99-41db-4bb0-924e-a35284909cbaPost:301ff8e4-f7b6-47bd-84bd-8c81ccdcfae6">Re: How far along is everyone with their planning?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were just engaged on Valentine' Day and we're getting married 10/25. So far we have booked the reception (which is also the ceremony site), the minister, photographer, florist, DJ, booked a block of hotel rooms, created a website, just received our save the dates which should go out next month. Just trying to get a few more addresses on our guest list. We had our tasting over the weekend and pretty much finalized the menu. We won't be having a cake but passed desserts instead. I also just booked a bagpiper that will play as the guests arrive and as I come down the aisle.  I knew for a while that we would be getting engaged so I pretty much had all my colors picked out and knew what I wanted, so putting it into play was pretty easy :) I'm shopping for my dress this weekend and once I have that I'll get the bridesmaid dresses, which will be little black dresses. After that, invitations!
    Posted by archerstar[/QUOTE]

Nice Job! I wish I was that organized lol. I am feeling better about everything now. I have booked my photographer, meeting a caterer and dj, and minister in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    You are doing just fine.  Yes, most of us are farther ahead but there's no reason you cannot get this done by your wedding date. 

As others said - get the major vendors booked, if you haven't already. Then put the other things into motion.  Let us know if you need anything.

S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    We have our venue, photographer, officiant, cake baker, caterer, DJ, booked a block of rooms, sent our STDs since half our guests are from out of town, and created our website. I have to find a florist still but the truth is, you have plenty of time. Don't freak out!
  • Options
    Another set of wedding date twins here!  As most people have said, take it one thing at a time.  I have found that throughout the whole planning process, my productivey has come in waves.  We booked our venue last August, which gave us about 14 months to plan, and right away I wanted to do EVERYTHING and have it done.  The complication is that we are getting married in my hometown, which is 4 hours from where my finace and I live.  My parents still live there, so that has been a help, but it is still hard to plan from a distance.  I have found that I do most of my planning in chunks that coincide with visits home.  It is like 48 hours of insane planning and meeting with vendors, and I get exhausted, but can go home and relax.  Then a couple of weeks go by, and I am ready to tackle some more.  This "chunking" of the planning has been a HUGE help in terms of a realistic pace and keeping my sanity throughout the whole process.
  • Options
    I'm getting married 10/5 and am almost at the 6 month mark. I feel like I am on a good track with getting everyhting accomplished! Enjoy it because it will all be over before we know it! Don't stress, it'll all turn out the way it's supposed to be! Good Luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards