October 2013 Weddings

How soon should we register?

FI & I really want to register for our gifts and we know that people will start asking what we want within the next couple of months and we may end up with a surprise engagement party or 2. But, I'm afraid of registering too early and sounding presumptuous. Any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How soon should we register?

• I will not be having any bridal showers or engagement parties. So I chose to register 7-11 months out. Most of our families and friends will be coming from out of town. That give them time to plan more.

Some people choose to have their showers closer to the wedding instead of right away with long engagements.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having an engagement party, but have not registered since guests are not expected to bring gifts to an engagement party.  I even had my dad (who is hosting the party) kindly spread the word that we do not expect gifts - we are having a large engagement party and I definitely did not want people to think we were "fishing" for gifts or money!  We are going to wait until 8ish months out to register - I think it would be difficult to register so soon since products in stores are always changing.
  • Thanks for the good ideas ladies. I don't want anything for any engagement parties we may have. I just know some may wish to do so on their own. I think we'll wait awhile longer to register. Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Typically you register about a month or two before your shower since items can be discountinued or clearanced.

• bruna29bruna29 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-soon-should-we-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:7b5cb25c-d1c1-42ac-89fd-5a91f799b693Post:5599fdd6-a3d3-4ae3-b30d-444bc3c9006f">Re: How soon should we register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Typically you register about a month or two before your shower since items can be discountinued or clearanced.
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]
    Stina is smart. If you register any earlier than that, then you risk items getting discontinued, and you would have to update your registry often. That can get pretty frustrating after awhile.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-soon-should-we-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:7b5cb25c-d1c1-42ac-89fd-5a91f799b693Post:46946593-d785-4877-b52d-1212b8c41696">Re: How soon should we register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How soon should we register? : <strong>Stina is smart</strong>. If you register any earlier than that, then you risk items getting discontinued, and you would have to update your registry often. That can get pretty frustrating after awhile.
    Posted by justdance93[/QUOTE]

hehe i like you! lol

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_how-soon-should-we-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:7b5cb25c-d1c1-42ac-89fd-5a91f799b693Post:46426b90-a8d6-4da4-9984-0bcfb6427380">Re: How soon should we register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How soon should we register? : hehe i like you! lol
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]
    Haha I like you, too. I've noticed that you and I have a lot of the same ideas/opinions on things, especially re: wedding etiquette.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I already registered...only because I am one to forgot things...so as I think of it I go online and register..we havent told anyone about the site yet but still....I think its whatever you want to do
  • We are also having a registry issue .... opinions please. He works out of state for the oil fields I never know when he will be home or for how long. I know things are going to be super busy for him for at least the next six months. Does registering too soon make you look bad? I understand things get dis continued but its something I would to do with him. Opinions please he will be in town in a week and I was hoping to do it then. Its the only guaranteed time I will see home for who knows when thanks!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards