October 2013 Weddings
Options

No Engagement Photos?

Fiance and I discussed engagement photos and we've decided we're not doing them. Its a cost we cant justify and we'd rather do a second photo shoot at Disney with us around the World Showcase. Anyone else going this route? We figure we have a lot of really great photos already, and that we can use one of these in our wedding invitations/save the dates. I just don't see a point in paying for a second set of photos right now with a small destination wedding. The second photo shoot at Disney's Epcot though will run us about $800-900. I wont rewear my wedding dress but we'll go with a short white dress and props for something a little more informal. This way I dont have to pay to have my hair redone as well. Thoughts?

Edited to add: We are doing a 20 person destination wedding. We figure that most people wont get photos until after our wedding when we send wedding announcements, hence we'd rather do a second set at Disney than an engagement set.
DIStickers.com Ticker

Re: No Engagement Photos?

• Options
    Right on.  Our initial choice was not to do engagements because I felt like it was a waste until I needed to test the photographer that was recommended to us that doesn't have many weddings under their belts.  Also, we don't have many "us" photos and certainly no formal ones.  

Neither of my issues are concerns for you so if it's a choice you must make then do whatever it is your heart leans towards.  I think I would go the same route as you.  You are already on site and have a good plan.  I like the idea of informals after you are married, it sounds like a lot of fun.  Spend the money where you really want and where you and your FI will get the enjoyment.  

If you do the second photo shoot there, will they make use of the really amazing hotel you picked?  I think I would love a photo of FI and I with some giraffes!
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    If you don't want them, you don't really need them for anything. Overall, as a family, we are all really big on photos, so I will actually have two professional engagement shoots. The first was right after we got engaged, our entire family  had a shoot for our holiday card photos. I was then able to use the photos that were just of the two of us for our save the date cards.

Our second shoot is included with our wedding photography package. I'm looking forward to that since I like the other shoots he has done, and plan on using those photos for a photo guestbook (by Shutterfly)

For your purposes, if you will not be sending photo save the dates and it is not included in your photography package and is something you wouldn't use anyway, then don't worry about it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_no-engagement-photos?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:84e22594-4aa6-41ac-b083-0c49d31cf758Post:affb4773-314e-425a-b681-1cbb6d7dce21">Re: No Engagement Photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]   If you do the second photo shoot there, will they make use of the really amazing hotel you picked?  I think I would love a photo of FI and I with some giraffes!
    Posted by 09McSteph03[/QUOTE]

The shoot we will get will be epcot only. However we are considering paying  to do a backstage safari tour at animal kingdom and include my daughter. That comes with photos of you trudging through the backstage and feeding animals! So we would get some animal photos if we do that.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you ladies :D
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    We're getting them for our Save the Dates and so we can have some good pictures of us with the dogs. If I didn't need them for those things, I wouldn't bother.

• Options
    That's a great idea!! The only reason FI and I did ePics is because we don't have many pictures of ourselves prewedding... We just never do self portraits or go out with people insistent on picture taking! I love the idea of pictures showcasing you guys around the world! Genius!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Options
    Sounds like you already made up your mine. Do what works best for you!

My FI and I had our engagement pictures made when we first got engaged, since we are having a 2 1/2 yr. engagment it was easier to justify the cost.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We did not do engagement pics either, I did not want to spend the extra money. We had just got our family pics done last year, and we had one taken of just us, so Im using that one for our save the dates. I dont blame you for not wanting to spend the extra money, Im right there with you!
  • Options
    I think you should do what is best for you which sounds like you are doing that.  FI and I only did e pics because it was included with our package
  • Options
    We also were not planning on having e-pics done but when we booked our photographer he threw them in for free.  We don't have many pictures of us together either and after looking at some other e-pics that were done I reallt wanted to have them.  They came out great and it also made me really confident that we made the right decision with our photgrapher.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
  • Options
    We weren't going to do one until our photographer gave us a killer deal. It was a special she was running and I jumped on it. Like you, we only have a few guests, so we didn't need the photos. But it was great working with the photographer before the wedding so I got to know her personality and how she works.
  • Options

Engagement photos are an optional expense that can definitely be cut.
    That having been said, my fiance and I really enjoyed our engagement photo shoot (even though we don't normally like that kind of thing). Our photos were taken by my mom's friend as a wedding gift to us. If you change your mind and want engagement photos, consider asking an amateur photographer friend/acquaintance to do the shoot - might be able to get a good deal!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards