October 2013 Weddings
Options

Chair Opinion

Hello!

So, for our ceremony venue we have to rent chairs because they don't have enough on hand for the size of my group. I am trying to decide between two options with a major price difference (over a dollar per chair).

Would you think it was tacky if I had plastic chairs vs. wood chairs?

Here are links to my choices:
http://www.canopiesevents.com/imagegallery/ViewGalleryImage.asp?Id=92
http://www.canopiesevents.com/imagegallery/ViewGalleryImage.asp?Id=83

Thanks for your input!
image 209 Invited
image 151 Yes
image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

Re: Chair Opinion

• Options
    IMO, the wood look a lot better. Are you covering the chairs at all?

• Options
    I do like the wood a lot better, and until I got the quote from the company with the two differences I wasn't even considering the plastic.

We won't be covering the chairs at all. Our ceremony will be short - 30 min max - so I am figuring the chairs will be in use about an hour or so, and that's the last anyone will see of them because the reception is at a different venue.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• Options
    have you "shopped" around at other rental places?

Where is your ceremony?

• Options
    If you can use a different company other than the one you contacted, I would shop around.  Pretty much every rental place has that white folding chair, it seems.  You may be able to get a better deal!

• Options

There are only two rental places in the area and these were the less expensive ones. I guess I haven't looked at national rental companies, but I assumed those would be more expensive due to shipping and stuff.

The ceremony is at an art gallery - so indoors in a big open room.

image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• Options
    Are you getting married in Milwaukee?  

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Looking at your venue, I would definitely go with the wooden chairs. 

ETA: but - if they're way out of your budget with that company, I'd definitely look into other places.
  • Options
    What are you going for for the look of your ceremony and reception?  The place looks very modern and loft like, which is cool.  If it's between the two I would go for the heavier foldable chair since the other one looks plastic.  Do any of the rental places have the modern clear plastic heavy duty ones?
  • Options
    Rochelle - we are getting maried in a city about 30 minutes north of Milwaukee
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_chair-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:b302ace7-c81f-4a1a-b0e4-63030b68f71fPost:0d905bb2-7591-4632-bdbd-f9e8e9d25d17">Re: Chair Opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rochelle - we are getting maried in a city about 30 minutes north of Milwaukee
    Posted by hardlyhannah[/QUOTE]

What city exactly?

• Options
    Grafton

Libby - it actually feels more rustic to me - its an old mill and it definitely shows its age! I am not sure if anyone has the clear plastic ones, but I definitely think I want white whether I end up with the plastic ones or wood folding ones.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• Options
    I am going against the grain here but you said these chairs will be in use for a full 30 min..at max?  I would go with the plastic.  No they are as cute at the wooden ones and they probably aren't comfortable at all but the limited use would not warrant the money for me. 

So first, I would do exactly what the other ladies said - check other places if you can.  If you are still looking at a huge price difference that you aren't comfortable paying, then go for the plastic.

FWIW, my ceremony is in a garden and is on site where the reception will be held.  I was given plastic garden chairs for free, or I am free to rent a nicer chair.  I said no way will I rent a different chair that guests would never appreciate the difference considering how short my ceremony will be.  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_chair-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:b302ace7-c81f-4a1a-b0e4-63030b68f71fPost:c34dc48a-4589-46bc-8f66-bda225acf042">Re: Chair Opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going against the grain here but you said these chairs will be in use for a full 30 min..at max?  I would go with the plastic.  No they are as cute at the wooden ones and they probably aren't comfortable at all but the limited use would not warrant the money for me.  So first, I would do exactly what the other ladies said - check other places if you can.  If you are still looking at a huge price difference that you aren't comfortable paying, then go for the plastic. FWIW, my ceremony is in a garden and is on site where the reception will be held.  I was given plastic garden chairs for free, or I am free to rent a nicer chair.  I said no way will I rent a different chair that guests would never appreciate the difference considering how short my ceremony will be.  
    Posted by 09McSteph03[/QUOTE]

<div>I second this. </div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thirded. Go for cheaper since it's only 30 mins. But yes, shop around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards