August 2012 Weddings

Bridesmaid gifts - What are you getting your maids?

I am stumped on bridesmaid gifts.

At first I thought something personal for each maid, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I was thinking maybe something with their names on them, like flip flops for the reception or a make up bag or something. But every website I have visited these cost $20 a piece! I have 6 bridesmaids including MOH.

I already bought their jewerly to wear so that is one gift, I still wanted to give them something more personal. I thought of making something but I am not very crafty.

What are you all doing?

Re: Bridesmaid gifts - What are you getting your maids?

• My bridesmaids are getting small coolers with their initials on them. We are going to stuff them with wine coolers, snacks and other fun summer stuff. I decided on coolers because I wanted to get them something fun yet functional, that they'll be able to use (my girls really enjoy outdoor activities). I got them for $17 on sale from the weddingchannel.com/theknot.com
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Etiquettewise, if you want them to wear specific jewelry, you should be paying for it and it's not really considered a gift... I like PP's idea, except that I never carry or wear anything with my name or initials on it in public, plus MY initials are about to change, so why wouldn't theirs? I think you can still do something sweet and personalized for each gal on a budget, though! Maybe something like a small basket with supplies for a 'home spa' day. My wedding will be at a lake, so I'm giving my gals all totes with little things of sunscreen, shades, towels, and flipflops... Each of which will be tailored to their specific personalities, and I can get great deals for the stuff if I use coupons and watch for sales and clearance!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm doing romantic gift baskets for all adults. 2 personalized wine glasses, a bottle of wine, scented candles, bath & body works (gender specific) and few other things. For the kids gift cards to their favorite stores.

For the day of small hand personalized totes with essentials for girls and guys  with get essentials that fit in the pocket...cost about $30 each for all.

I'm still out on the jewelry thing..if I want to get or let them pick (If I get it won'tbe a "gift per se")
  • I got them Coach wristlets.  Check out fun sites like RueLaLa, or stores like Marshalls, where you can get great deals on some fun brandname accessories. Or perhaps you could do a small gift basket for each girl depending on taste - for instance, if one likes coffee, one likes wine, etc.
    Anniversary
  • I bought them all tote bags from vistaprint(gotta love the 70 for 17 groupon) with a different design for each girl based on what they would like, and their name written on it.  I am filling each bag with a bottle of their favorite wine, I bought personalized wine labels from orientaltrading to put on them, I got them each flip flops in their dress color(old navy with a 30% off coupon) ...I also plan to get them a cute wine glass, a picture frame, and then a little something for each girl that they would like(a movie, a gift card, etc)   But I must say....the coupons and sales are saving me since I have 8 girls!! I've also been buying a little at a time, so come July...I won't have to buy everything! Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like Lobsters25, I also got each of them a large Coach wristlet. They're small enough to easily carry but also large enough to be really functional. If you sign up for Coach Factory Store emails, they have online sales pretty regularly, and you can get some amazing deals. I also got them silver glittler flip flops, jewelry, and I made personalized hangers. I might add in something else that's little but really personalized for each BM. I did everything for less than $100 per person.
  • First, every wedding I've ever been in (3), I received a necklace as my gift and it was to be worn in the wedding.  I actually always liked that since I don't splurge on jewelry for myself and it's built up my collection.  Perhaps living in the midwest, that's a more accepted sort of thing (I've come to realize a lot of what's "normal" to me at weddings is not to other knotties, like cash bar!)

That being said, my 6 bridesmaids are in different dresses with different necklines and I don't want to pick jewelry since a one strap dress & halter don't really need it in my opinion.  So, I have two ideas.  I will either buy them all a pair of running shorts (4 I ran with in college and 2 are family members that run).  Or, the more likely idea is that I will buy them each a book.  They will be different per person and ones that I've read and enjoyed and will choose each based on their personalities.  My hope is that they may all trade to read each others at some point.  Depending on book prices, I may do both.
  • rungirl12- I am also from the midwest and completely agree with you! I've been in 4 weddings and my jewelry for the wedding was always my gift. One Bride also paid for us to get our hair done.

I also see that knotties are different than most weddings around here. Cash bars are common and inviting people after the meal is commonplace. Around these boards, those types of things are taboo. Its interesting how weddings vary from place to place.

OP, I'm a bride on a budget and my girls will be getting jewelry which will be a gift. Whats left of my money will determine if they get a different gift too, but it won't be anything fancy (I was thinking of doing tote bags with their names which I found for less than $15- I also only have 4 maids though). Do whatever your budget allows!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image230 Invited
    image180Accepted
    image50 Declined
    image0 Undecided
    RSVP Date: July 25, 2012
  • I've gotten my girls (4 of them) each a Vera Bradley cosmetic bag (only $7 each at the outlet - what a steal!), a pocket mirror with their name on it, and a pair of earrings to wear with the dress. Then, I'm going to be getting each something more individualized - one likes coffee, one likes makeup/clothes, and two like books - so I'll be getting them something along those lines.

Most of what I've read is that you shop for your bridesmaids like it's their birthday - personalize it a little bit.
  • I got my bridesmiads a cinch bag from Thitrty-one with their names on the bags. I would like to put some personal items in the bag for each of them too.
    I had wanted to get them each a charm bracelet with a charm with our wedding colors and something personal bewteen each of us, but I couldn't find want I wanted without spending a ton of money. I'm still not sure about the jewelry or if I will get them anything. They both have to wear good jewelry because of reaction to their skin, so I'm just not sure what to do.
  • Ok I agree with PPs that Midwest is different than other areas, because cash bars or drink tickets are considered appropriate here and in other areas they are HUGELY frowned upon!!!

I am getting presents for my 3 BMs and my personal attendant with only 1 real difference and that is BMs get their jewelry as a gift (they know it though).

I got fashion bags from Walmart ($4 and super cute, they are actually the reusable grocery bags but they are friggin adorable) and in each one I will be putting little emergency kits (kleenex, chapstick, tide pens, etc.) and a personalized note (possibly handwritten) telling them how much they mean and how much I appreciate them. 

For my personal attendant (since she isn't getting the jewelry), I will be getting her a giftcard to either Target or Subway lol!

I'm debating getting small gifts for my "usherettes" (like $5 or $10 giftcards).

My flower girl is getting her basket (she can keep it) and I am going to fill it with little things for her (things to keep her amused, and things to keep)!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow you guys have some really great ideas! I am glad I posted this thread :)

I decided to order them each a makeup bag, all the same color. Their only initial on it is their first letter of their first name, not both obviously. I didn't make that clear in my first post though, my fault.

I definitely agree that jewelry is not taboo to givee as a gift, I have been a bridesmaid 3 times now and in all three weddings we recieved jewelry as a gift. I have reworn ALL of the jewelry and it has added to my collection. So maybe it is a midwestern thing, but I loved getting jewelry.

After reading these posts I will definitely be filling the makeup bags with lotions, tissues, chapsticks, etc. And maybe something special for the each of them. What a great idea, I wasn't even thinking of stuffing them with accessories.

Thanks SO much for the help all of you!!!
  • I wonder what it is about Coach, I had been eyeing some of their wallet/clutches for gift ideas!  Macy's is having their friends and family sale this week and if you ask nicely you can get a coupon for 25% off of almost everything (including Coach).  MTishawt...what thoughtful gifts for all your girls!
  • I got them all pink quilted tote bags with their first initial monogram and some pink and orange flip flops from Express (those r my wedding colors)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards