August 2012 Weddings
Options

Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?

Just wondering if other Aug brides are keeping or selling their wedding dress after the wedding.  Originally I had thought I would sell it, but DH doesn't care one way or the other if I wish to keep it.  My MIL keeps telling me it is good luck to keep it, and that I will regret selling it.  Both my mother and my MIL kept their wedding dresses, and even though both have daughters none of their daughters are ever planning on wearing their mother's dresses, as I doubt my future kids would share my taste in dresses.  I know when I return from honeymoon I will get it drycleaned and go from there.  Thoughts?
PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image

Re: Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?

• Options
    I'm keeping mine. Mine's such a style that my daughter could very well end up wanting to wear it. So we'll see. Strapless with a beaded corset style bodice and pick up skirt - nothing that i think will ever go out of style really.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm thinking that I might do a "trash the dress" session or honestly, save it and use it for Halloween, or a costume party. Mine wasn't pricey at just over $100, so I'm not all that torn up about it.
  • Options
    I'm selling my dress.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Haven't decided but most likely I will keep it or donate it to military brides.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm undecided. I am leaning towards keeping it, if my mom still had her dress I would have used some of the material to wrap around my bouquet, so while I doubt that my daughter will ever want to wear my dress she may like to use a part of it for her wedding day.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Options
    I'm keeping it until my future daughter, daughter-in-law confirms she does not want to wear it (if I am so lucky to have one.)  Then, if she doesn't, I plan on donating it.  Would could be better than giving it to someone who can't afford a gown, in hopes that it will help them have their dream wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_keeping-or-selling-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:699a2b6c-1eb4-454f-8341-a3c581272089Post:7cdfa1f7-b5b7-4f6f-b84b-06267249a32e">Re: Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm keeping it until my future daughter, daughter-in-law confirms she does not want to wear it (if I am so lucky to have one.)  Then, if she doesn't, I plan on donating it.  Would could be better than giving it to someone who can't afford a gown, in hopes that it will help them have their dream wedding.
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

This is likely my route.  Keep it for a while, and if I / potential future daughter don't want it, it will be donated.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_keeping-or-selling-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:699a2b6c-1eb4-454f-8341-a3c581272089Post:b82b6323-cb9b-4a66-bf2d-c95a584e6feb">Re: Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking that I might do a "trash the dress" session or honestly, save it and use it for Halloween, or a costume party. Mine wasn't pricey at just over $100, so I'm not all that torn up about it.
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, using it for Halloween is an interesting idea.  Mine also did not cost a lot, so that is part of the reason I'm torn, as I know I would not recoup that much money on it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_keeping-or-selling-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:699a2b6c-1eb4-454f-8341-a3c581272089Post:7cdfa1f7-b5b7-4f6f-b84b-06267249a32e">Re: Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm keeping it until my future daughter, daughter-in-law confirms she does not want to wear it (if I am so lucky to have one.)  Then, if she doesn't, I plan on donating it.  Would could be better than giving it to someone who can't afford a gown, in hopes that it will help them have their dream wedding.
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]
    See, while I like this idea, I just worry that if in 20+ years if my future daughters do not like/want the dress that then would it really be fair to donate an outdated dress to someone by that point?  If I were going to donate it I would want to do that in the near future, while the dress still seems fresh and newish.
  • Options
    I see your point Christine (and also just realized how bad my typing was this AM), but my dress isn't very 'trendy,' so I think it would be safe to be reworn in the future.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_keeping-or-selling-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:699a2b6c-1eb4-454f-8341-a3c581272089Post:dd71767f-7962-4c9c-86ad-d6f7af6db054">Re: Keeping or Selling Wedding dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haven't decided but most likely I will keep it or <strong>donate it to military brides</strong>.
    Posted by smilesavy[/QUOTE]

I love that idea!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I'm in love with my dress, so I'm having it preserved. Then if I ever have a daughter (or just a niece I really like lol) she can wear it if she wants to. I'm a very sentimental person :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so back and forth on my dress.  Some days I love it and some days are just eh...
    I love the idea of donating it.  Right after FI and I were engaged he was hospitalized for over a month and couldn't work for several more.  I know if we found any bride in that situation, that would be the perfect home for my dress! 
    I like the idea of keeping it, but worry that it would fill closet space for years and never get used again! 
  • Options
    I paid more money than I thought I ever would so as of right now I am keeping it and am going to have a one person tea party in my dress haha! No but really, I am thinking of preserving it. I remember looking at someone's dress they had preserved from 25 years ago and it was awesome to see it. I like the thought of keeping it to be used to wrap a bouqet in for my daughter's ( I have 2 so far) weddings if they would like :)
  • Options
    I am keeping mine, I made it myself and really do not want to part with it any time soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I saw some time ago while planning a photo where someone had the skirt of their dress turned into a Christmas tree skirt. If I do anything with my dress, that is what I would do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards