August 2012 Weddings
Options

Going Crazy

Hey everyone,
 I need to vent. My fmil is going to drive me crazy. She is making everything so difficult and complaining about everything. My parents are paying for the wedding, we have a budget and she just doesn't seem to care. We were considering havening the wedding on a Thursday at one point, and it was a huge issue. Everyone in my family would have been fine with it. She flipped out saying, well none of our friends will be able to come. Who would go to a wedding on a Thursday night, how dumb! And the thing is we are trying to keep it around 75 people family mostly and some of our own friends, my parents are only inviting family and one or two close friends. His parents have ten couples that are there friends! And when we mentioned it to them they said well we already told them they were invited!!! I am getting so frustrated. We decided to have it on a Friday and its set now 8/24/2012!!!!

My family is throwing an engagement party for us and we invited some friends and his parents. They didn't want any of the rest of there family to be invited which is fine. Now she is like, "So who is all coming to this engagement party", "Your not expecting gifts are you". And we were like no we are not expecting gifts, but some people might bring some its up to them. (I know some of the family might). My sister requested us to start a registry just a couple of things because some people had asked about it. So we made a small registry just in case..... Also it is a huge issue that my family is requesting people to RSVP for the engagement party, they want to know an estimate of people I don't see the problem! I don't understand what the big deal is. She said, "Well we haven't RSVP'd yet we will if we have time." 
Sorry this is so long, I am just so frustrated, it goes beyond this she has a say in everything about the wedding and complains about the venue we picked and tells us our ideas are dumb. She also suggest things that we just won't be able to do because we are sticking to our budget. 

Thanks for listening, Halie 

Re: Going Crazy

• Options
    Wow! I am so so sorry for the way she is acting! Maybe not include her in a lot of the wedding details?? I know my FMIL gives me problems too!! Try not to let her get to you, it is your and your Fiances special day and you shouldn't let her or anyone else take the fun away from you on planning your day!!

Good luck and hope things get better for you!!

Lauren
    Can't wait to marry my best friend!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks Lauren, 
      We are trying not to really include her, but when she asks or gives us ideas that she has I usually tell her what we were thinking. I just need to not let it get to me, I am working on it. Thanks for the advice! 
    Halie
  • Options

No problem! I feel your pain! My FMIL isn't happy that were not  getting married at a church! And is't happy at all that we're not having kids at our reception, her and my fiance got into it a couple of months ago, she said that her and his dad won't go to the reception because they'll have to babysit!

Can't wait to marry my best friend!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_going-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:71164c1d-41d1-4e2a-85b1-6f5d2d000365Post:ee33fb51-2031-4c42-873b-5f110e44e469">Re: Going Crazy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Lauren,    We are trying not to really include her, but when she asks or gives us ideas that she has <strong>I usually tell her what we were thinking</strong>. I just need to not let it get to me, I am working on it. Thanks for the advice!  Halie
    Posted by halie520[/QUOTE]

I think you need to stop doing this. :)

If she offers up advise, just saying oh, that's a good idea I will have to remember that and then change the subject. I know personally it seems like everyone has an opinion about my wedding but I just say thanks for the input and move on. In a perfect world you could discuss your wedding with your close family and in-laws but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes they are the biggest pains!!!
    I'm sure we are making plenty of choices that FMIL hates but we are paying for our wedding so we are doing what WE want.

Good luck! (and deep breaths!)
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards