August 2012 Weddings

Two questions...tip for hair and BM gifts?

Hey ladies!

I apologize if this is dumb, but I was curious, I am having my trial run with the lady doing my hair in a couple days. The trial is included in the price she is charging me for my hair the day of, and I don't have to pay that until that day. But  I am suppose to tip her for the trial? I have never been through any of this before so I am just not sure. :)

Also, I was wondering what everyone got their BM's for gifts? I got my each a big bag they can have and inside I am putting this BM survival kit with a bunch of little things like band aids, lip gloss, etc with a cute poem. I got them all flip flops with a cute not written on the bottom, earings to wear the day of, and each girl a cute key chain. But the last couple of days I've been feeling like this isn't enough? What do you guys think? What did you get your girls? Thank you so much! Yay we're so close everyone!!

Re: Two questions...tip for hair and BM gifts?

• Yep, I would tip for the trial. Especially since she's not requiring payment up-front.

I haven't figured out gifts for the BMs yet. I'm making them necklaces, but that's not going to be all. Maybe cute glittery flasks? There's only one who wouldn't like that, so I'll get her something else.
  • Honestly, I think just thanking BMs is enough.  I'd rather get a personalized thank-you note than any item.  That being said, I think the wedding industry has blown expectations out of proportion and now we are pressured to find these elaborate cutesy gifts to give.

Don't get me wrong, I love my friends and appreciate all they do and are happy they will stand up with me, but I just find the whole idea so silly.  I think what you got is "enough," as any token of appreciation should be appreciated. All I got my girls were running shorts because we all run and that's how I met 4 of them.  I would expect all of them will like the gift and will get use out of them, but I think my thank-you note to each will mean more and capture why I chose each of them and how I am grateful for them.

Don't second guess your choices - it's not about the gift, it's about the gesture.
  • I'm not sure about the tipping at the hairtrial, but I think if you tip when you pay her should be enough. 
    I got my maids each a small purse in diffent colors. I also stuffed lipgloss, nail polish, body wash, body mist spray, 2 different kind of earrings and a thank you note. I think that's enough. I was planning on getting my MOH seperately another gift and give to her in private because she really went above and beyond what a MOH needed to do!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would tip her the day of the hair trial as well as when you get your hair done.

I agree with rungirl that the wedding industry really blows things out of proportion in terms of wedding party gifts.  My only advice would be to make sure that your gift contains things that your BMs will use after your wedding day as well.  Don't get me wrong, it is okay if the gift is something they will use for the wedding, as long as it fits each girl's tastes enough that they will use it after as well.

• AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    I would just tip the day of, that is really the service you are paying for and the trial is just to ensure you will be happy with it.

I think your BM gift sounds lovely. I've been overthinking this a bit myself, I am making them tote bags and giving them jewelry for day of (customized to their styles so hopefully they will wear it again), a monogrammed mug, and flip flops. That is going to have to be it because I can't afford anything else!
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • I am getting each of my BM and our "best man" ( FH's sister ) a gift card to lush.  As a so sorry I passed on my addiction :)  My MOH will get one and a little something else.
    83image 6image 0 image
  • I tipped at my hair trial. I wanted to let her know I was extremely happy with her services and by giving her a good tip, I am sure she realized how happy I was. To me, it's like going to a restaurant. If the service if good then you tip good. That's my personal take though. I will also be tipping her again on day of.
  • I tipped for my trial but it was because I took my bridal portraits right after and I LOVED what she did.  If you are just doing a trial i'd wait until the day of to tip. 

Basically what you got your girls is what I got mine!  Its enough! I thought the same thing but my FMIL pointed out that I was buying for 5 girls not just one.  Plus you are the bride, anything you get them will be enough because you are just saying thank you for all their help. What you have sounds great!

image213 Invited
    image150 Wouldn't Miss it for the World image39 Will Celebrate From Afar
    RSVP Date: July 20, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would tip at the hair trial. I did even though I paid for my trial, mainly because I wanted her to care enough to do a good job on my wedding day. (i was also a waitress for years and I am notorious for overtipping.

In regards to the bridesmaids gifts, I only have 3 BM and 2 jr's so I kept catching myself buying them things. I got my bridesmaids a necklace and earring set, Vera Bradley wallets and wedge beaded flip flops for the receptions. I also made them a satin  ribbon and colored pearl braclet that matched the fabric flowers I made for their hairpieces.

For my Jr's I did the same thing except the wallets. I'm sure your girls will be thankful for any gift you give them. Just make sure you include a personalized note to each girl thanking them for being involved in your wedding and celebrating with you.
    Anniversary
  • jennc82512jennc82512 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Yes, i would tip for your trial, she is doing you a service and i believe that would be the proper thing. It doesnt have to be much, just something. I gave my girl $10 for her time.
    As far as BM gifts, i def. went overboard only because alot of our parties are family so i wanted to go above and beyond as they have for me.  I got them each a bracelet for the day of, a little tote bag and inside i got them each a wristlet or wallet from coach(we have an outlet here so the prices are awesome) and then got them each an individualized gift that fit each girls personality.  I also plan to write a small note expressing my thanks for all they have done.  I think what you got them is enough just write a heartfelt note and they will appreciate that the most!
    202 Invitedimage 137 Ready to Party!!!image 65 don't know how to have fun! image RSVP Date August 4th Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got my BMs antique silver spoon bracelets with their names engraved on them ( the bracelets date back to 1897-1908)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Not sure about the hair trial, my "stylist" is my sister so I'm not paying her lol.

As far as the BM gifts, I am doing like the exact same thing!!
    Tote bags including:
    Jewelry
    Kleenex (those individual packs)
    Lotion
    Chapstick
    Bandaids
    Nail files
    Personalized thank you note

For my sister/MOH and SIL/BM who went above and beyond I am giving them each an additional gift card (in private not in front of my other BM) because they went way above and beyond what I expected considering they have helped more from out of state than my BM who is in state!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards