August 2012 Weddings
Options

Kids but not babies?

Is it considered rude to invite children, but not babies (say, under 2 or 3) to the wedding? Specifically, would it be rude to invite my cousins' kids that are older, and not invite my cousins' kids that are just infants?  My mom brought this possibility up for a variety of reasons. Part of me agrees with my mom on this, but the other part of me feels bad limiting this. I would appreciate some honest etiquette advice!

Re: Kids but not babies?

• Options
    Also, just to clarify, we wouldn't be splitting up any families.  There are no families that have both kids and babies.
  • Options
    Also, just to clarify, we wouldn't be splitting up any families.  There are no families that have both kids and babies.
  • Options
    IMO I would think it was rude to invite 4 year olds but not 3 year olds and younger, especially if they are all relatives. I think it would be better to set the limit at 10-12 year olds because by that point kids are generally more well behaved. That being said, we are planning to only invite children of wedding party members.
  • Options
    I agree in that I wouldn't choose a cutoff around age 3.  I'd invite them based on how close they are to you.  We're only allowing children for immediate family members (like his sisters & my first cousin)  Otherwise anyone invited as a friend will not be invited with their children.  We are trying to limit it to 100 people, so we have to make these types of cuts.  I would think you should go all or none (depending on their closeness to you too)
  • Options
    We are having a similar rule.  Our cut off was 13 (only because my FI has one cousin who was 13 that is DYING to come to a wedding).  Our invite says "adult reception" but that again is because we don't want children there...and really...who is going to come up to you complaining they couldn't bring their kid on your wedding day!! :)  Do what you want...it is YOUR day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!  After talking it over, we decided that we did want to include all kids, rather than have hurt feelings because someone was left out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards