August 2012 Weddings

Name change

So, the other night my fiance was helping me change my e-mail address because my current one uses my current last name and I'm changing my name.  For some reason, just looking at my new name made me burst into tears (much to the bewilderment of my fiance!)  

Is anyone else feeling a little sad about changing their name?  I'm 100% confident about doing it, and I'm keeping my current last name as my middle name, but apparently I'm more emotional about my name than I thought!

Re: Name change

• I am too! I almost feel like I"m losing a part of myself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image230 Invited
    image180Accepted
    image50 Declined
    image0 Undecided
    RSVP Date: July 25, 2012
  • unicorntreesunicorntrees member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm a little sad. I'm going to have to learn how to sign my name all over again, haha. I am keeping my maiden name on some things, but officially my name will be changed, and I will still go by my new name in general.

I think it makes sense to feel this way about it, though. It's only been your name for your entire life!
  • I"m actually planning to drop my middle name and use my current last name as my new middle, then new last name as last name. Kinda weird, but I felt like I couldn't drop my last name all together..
    196 Invited image
    104 Ready to Rock! image
    92 Party Poopers image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to keep my name and add his (I'm legally allowed to do this without a hypen!" so I don't feel sad, just excited. I get to keep my current middle name too!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am changing my name, but I get to keep my initials since FI's last name also starts with C, so I feel like I got a free compromise. I don't have to change any of my monograms!
  • My mother did what you did DeClue82 and she is 82 years old. I am keeping my middle name, because most people know me by, and adding my current last name as a part of my middle name. Therefore, I still get to keep all of my names and still have his last name. I am very excited about it.
    Anniversary
  • Huh, I like his name and have always known I would take it so I don't feel to emotional about it. I actually get butterflies when I write out my new name (have had to write it out in the marriage license application- which I've filled out online THREE times because the application keeps expiring before we get to the office!) I dunno, maybe because I have six brothers and a sister with the last name still,  I feel like our family name is still well-represented. Might be different if it was just me and my parents, I think.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kap617kap617 member
    First Comment
    I feel a little of both.

I definitely feel like I'll be losing a part of myself, and it almost feels a little fraudish to be introducing myself with the new last name--like I'm a whole different person.  I don't know, it's hard to describe.

But I'm also really excited!  I can't wait to share the same last name as my FI!

I would move my maiden name to take the place of the middle name... but I don't actually like my last name very much, and it doesn't sound very pretty, so I'm just going to replace it.  This is the same reason why I'm not just keeping my maiden name--my married name will be much better!

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • edited July 2012
    I have mix feelings. I have been known by my maiden name for so long, I am having a difficult time wanting to give it up. I'm not sure what to do. Still undecided. Frown It's not that I don't like his last name or anything, I guess I have always thought I would keep my maiden name no matter what. I understand it will be difficult and confusing when we have kids, but I just don't want to give up my name. 
  • I'll be changing my name and am a little nervous about the name being lost with this generation.  My dad was the only boy in his family and my older brother is the only one in ours.  At this point, I don't imagine he'll ever have kids, so I'll be one of the last in my family with our last name.  I'm still excited about taking his last name, although I'm sure it will be tough to get used to!
  • I have known since before we got engaged that I would take his name.  I think it will be weird once I switch everything over.  I have to write my name a lot for work, so hopefully I will remember to use the correct name.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • I'm not changing my name or hyphenating. We talked about it a bit and my name is a part of who I am and I like it.

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I decided that I will take his last name.  But I love my last name and I don't really like his that much, so it will take some getting used to.
  • I LOVE my FI's last name and I'm excited to take his! (dropping mine all together) I've already started using it for my personal portfolio and photography because I was so certain about it from the beginning. My daughter currently has my maiden name and FI will be adopting her after the wedding (her biological father abandoned her when she was 6 months old - she's almost 7 now). We asked her if she wanted to keep her last name or take on his like I'm doing and she wants to change hers too. I may offer her the choice of adding his instead of replacing hers all together (because she shares her last name with her grandpa and she is very close to him and said that she'll always be a (current last name) )  but I can't wait for my new last name :D
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In my case I still have my wasband's last name (yes I said wasband) so I can't wait to drop it. We were married 18 years. It will be a little weird dropping it because my children have the same last name and all of my degrees, work history etc has been with his name. HOWEVER I am looking forward to closing that final piece of my old married life and starting my new life with my new husband. I have already filled out all of my paperwork DMV, Passport, Voting reg etc. Just waiting to submit it.
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:cdf781b9-56bd-45ab-8744-0178109dff40Post:7ae25ae7-b7b8-4c53-8904-cc13ebf2b20a">Re: Name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my case I still have my wasband's last name (yes I said wasband) so I can't wait to drop it. We were married 18 years. It will be a little weird dropping it because my children have the same last name and all of my degrees, work history etc has been with his name. HOWEVER I am looking forward to closing that final piece of my old married life and starting my new life with my new husband. I have already filled out all of my paperwork DMV, Passport, Voting reg etc. Just waiting to submit it.
    Posted by 20pearls16[/QUOTE]

I completely understand how you feel about getting rid of the "wasband" (love it) last name.  After my divorce was final I couldn't wait to get rid of it and went back to my maiden name.  Now I will change it again to FI's name and begin a new chapter in my life with the man I was ment to be with from the begining. 
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards