August 2012 Weddings
Options

BM Dress Question

I am having 4 BM stand up of all different shapes and sizes and I am really worried about finding a dress that they will be comfortable in. My FI is very insistent that the girls wear the same dress. I want a short, lightweight dress at a low price. I found one that meets most of my requirements, and my bridesmaids and mothers are fighting me on something. I have one girl who is really short and feels dresses at or below knee make her look shorter, so she would like to go a little above the knee, while the other 3 want it at or just below the knee. Also, one of my girls needs thick straps (because of a body condition) while the other will go strapless or thick strap, whichever.

I thought I would pick the dress but let them choose what they want (length and straps) and are most comfortable. My mom says it will look stupid if one is shorter than the others and some have straps and some don't. I will probably end up going all straps, but I'm really worried about the length thing. Do you think that anyone will care or even notice if there is a slight difference in length? I really just want all of my girls to be comfortable and confident. I've been the BM in a dress that fit terribly and looked awful and it was no fun at all. So, what do you think?

For reference, I am looking at Alfred Angelo 7017S (in black with pink) 
(click here for pic)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
image230 Invited
image180Accepted
image50 Declined
image0 Undecided
RSVP Date: July 25, 2012

Re: BM Dress Question

• Options
    AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Love the dress. Since your BMs are all different heights, I doubt anyone will even notice that their dresses aren't all the same lengths unless the difference is dramatic, like long v. short.

Edited to add: I would just be very specific with the BM who wants it above her knee so she doesn't alter it to be too short, i.e. you could tell all the others to get it altered right at the knee and tell her to go 1 in. above.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Options
    I would tell them all that it just needs to be knee length and let the one who wants it shorter to get it taken up about an in or two.
  • Options
    I'd let the shorter BM get hers shortened a few inches and let anyone who wants to add straps. My BMs are all wearing different dresses, but one of them ordered a dress that comes with optional straps that can be added. It was more important for me that the BMs were comfortable in their dresses rather than them looking the same.
  • Options
    If you make one girl's dress shorter by one or two inches, I doubt it'll be that noticeable. It will probably just look like it vaires because of each girl's height and the way the dress fits naturally. And if you are worried about having one girl with straps looking odd, you could ask if one of the other girls is willing to have straps on her dress, that way you have two with straps and two without, and then it will look intentional. Is the BM with the straps your MOH? You could always use that as the explanation for the difference. 
  • Options
    I am a short person (barely over 5 feet tall), and when I wore a knee-length dress I did have it come to just barely above my knees (a half an inch maybe), and that was comfortable.  My only complaint was the skirt kinda poofed when I sat down (or knelt to grab something out of my bag), so I felt a little exposed when that happened at the reception. 

I agree with PPs, if the BM is your MOH that could account for her wearing straps, and if not maybe one other girl would be willing to wear straps too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your help, Ladies! You all made me feel a lot better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image230 Invited
    image180Accepted
    image50 Declined
    image0 Undecided
    RSVP Date: July 25, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards