August 2012 Weddings

RD at our house....am I crazy??

We are trying to figure out how was are going to do the RD and were thinking of having it at our house we just bought and have it catered to try to save as much money as we can.  Are we crazy for thinking about doing it there?
The other issue is how family would get to our house if they don't have a rental car since it is about 45 min from the hotel.
Our rehearsal would end around 4:30 so it wouldn't last too long since we all would have a busy day the next morning.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Anniversary
imageimage

TTC since 8/2012
BFP#1 ? 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD ? MTX 11/30/12
BFP#2 ?
?PAL/PGAL Welcome?

Re: RD at our house....am I crazy??

• Just because it seems like your house is a bit far for everyone to be driving I'm going to suggest an alternative. Many restaurants offer their private rooms for free, as long as you are ordering the food and beverages from them. This is what we are doing. We are having it at a restaurant called Beef O' Brady's... it's a chain. They have a downstairs private party room, and their entrees are very affordable (all under $12) Just something else to consider to save some drive time for your guests. But I totally understand $$ beign a factor... we are trying to be as budget savvy as we can...
    196 Invited image
    104 Ready to Rock! image
    92 Party Poopers image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are thinking of doing the exact same thing...we will have about 25 people and it would be next to impossible (and expensive) to get a restaurant for that many people on a Friday night (restaurants where we live don't accept reservations on weekends because it's a college town). Our house is 30 minutes from the hotel and ceremony/reception venue so that is our only problem...there will be some drinking and we don't want everyone to have to drive back so we are stuck. Our other thought is to reserve a space at one of the parks and have the dinner there...or go to a pizza place and keep it low key.
  • We're doing it at the house, too, but our place is about 10 minutes from the church.

Thinking a bit outside of the box a bit - does the church have a rec room/sunday school area where you could have a caterer drop off some big trays of food? If so, and it's available, just set up shop at the church!
    Anniversary
  • Thanks girls,

We are leaning more torwards doing it at our house and having a BBQ place cater for us.  We are only going to have about 25 people so driving I don't think will be too much of a hassle.  Our venue does have a room, but you have to rent it and buy their food, no outside food/beverage allowed.
    Thanks for all the feed back.  I think we might go for it and hopefully it doesn't become an issue.  We just want something laid back so we all can relax before the big day :)

Anniversary
    imageimage

TTC since 8/2012
    BFP#2 ?
    ?PAL/PGAL Welcome?

• We are doing it at our house. We are having it catered with mexican food....it is just the perfect spot that is not too far from our venue.
  • We are just doing a fun relaxed RD at our house with pizza wings and beer.... even though our house is 30 mins from the ceremony site.  But the up side to the travel time is that my girls will be staying there at my house for a pajama party before the big day....  And my FI and my boys will be traveling to his bestman's house to spend the night there.  Do what ever makes you happy...
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • m tullim tulli member
    100 Comments
    we're doing it at our house too.  Just a casual BBQ, doing all the food ourselves.  FI parents are paying and I wanted to keep it as cheep as possible for them.  Also they are staying at our place the night before the wedding along with the best man.  It just seemed like the easiest answer.  Might be a little crazy to take on the night before but i'm not worried.  
    85image 71image 14image
  • As I think about it more, I don't think it will be as big of a deal and I thought it will be.  Meli.Mel we were going to do mexican since we are in TX but a lot of people also haven't had good BBQ so we will probably go with that.  Either one you can't go wrong down here :)

Haven't that decided is exciting, not time to think about invite deisgn :)

Anniversary
    imageimage

TTC since 8/2012
    BFP#2 ?
    ?PAL/PGAL Welcome?

• colstj1colstj1 member
    2500 Comments Combo Breaker
    We might also be doing it at our house also and having it catered in. It seems a little crazy but it also seems to make the most since to us convenience and price wise.
  • FI's parents are hosting at their home.  We're just putting tables up in the garage and catering in wings!  It's our kind of evening with all our favorite people!
  • I think as long as you have the food catered in, it won't be too stressful.  Sounds like a good time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards