Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Mexican Food?

I love Mexican food. It is by far my favorite type of food.

However, my family is against the idea of doing Mexican food at a wedding. They say it's too specific of a taste for some people and that it's cheap looking.

I know a great local place that can cater it for under $1000. I have had events caters with them before and have always loved it. I could do either a "make your own taco" bar, with all the fixins and rice and beans on the side, or get a variety of premade things. I would prefer a "make your own taco" bar, but I know that can take up time on a buffet line... Though if I have 2 buffet lines (100 guests) it probably should go pretty quickly.

The fact that it is cheap is the reason why I want to do it. My family would rather I cater from a pizza/pasta place and get mostacholi, baked chicken, Italian beef, etc.

I do not like that idea at all. It seems too "graduation party" for me.

Re: Mexican Food?

• Personally, I'd WAY rather have Mexican than the Italian.  I don't think either one looks cheap, but I think the Italian is somewhat generic.  Mexican is more fun.
  • I think it's a great idea!!  It's so unique and definitely delicous!  I would suggest making sure there are some Mexican vegetarian options, if that's a concern with your guests.

Do what you and your fiancee want  - and enjoy!!
  • I don't know anyone who doesn't like mexican food, although I think build a taco could come off as casual and I wouldn't want to eat with my hands while wearing formal wear.  If your overall feel is laid back I think it's perfectly fine to do tacos, if you want more formal than I'd go with knife and fork requiring dishes.  
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would like the Mexican food idea, as long as there were vegetarian options.  Can you make sure that the restaurant also provides unseasoned rice, chicken, and veggies on the buffet for people that don't like Mexican food?  I think people will be willing to eat it, as long as they don't think it's spicy.  
  • I think this is a case of your need to know your guests.   

I actually know a lot of people who do not like Mexican food.    Actually, I think you would consider me one of them.  I eat chicken soft tacos without peppers, beans or pico de gallo.  But that is about it.  If there is a hint of spice forget it.

My stomach is also sensitive to Mexican food.  A lot of type Mexican places requires a bathroom run not long after I eat.  Sorry for the TMI, just being honest.  Some older people might have some issues also.  Just something to think of, especially if your family is like mine and never grew up eating mexican.

All that said, I'm not against your ideal completely. Let's think outside the box a little.   How about having a mix of stuff?   A Mexican, Italian and maybe one other type of inexpensive station.  They don't have to be live stations with chefs.  Just buffet stations.  I say 3 different ones because I feel only 2 options is kind of random and looks like you can't choose. .  A 3rd options makes it look like you want options.  I always like giving people options. 

GL

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am inclined to agree with Lynda.  I personally love Mexican food, but I know lots of people who don't.  It IS a very specific flavor profile.   I think that as a general rule anytime you want to offer something outside-the-box ("the box" being a typical dinner of meat, starch, veggie) you really ought to do it in a context where guests have options. 
  • I would be all over that taco bar but I agree with PPs. So long as you have other options for vegetarians and people not too keen on Mexican food I think it will work well.
  • Ditto Lynda - when you choose the food for your wedding you have to consider your guests likes and dislikes more than yours.  Not because yours aren't important, but you need to choose food that 100 people will like.  If you really know this crowd and know they like Mexican, then go for it.

I like Mex food but I am the biggest spice sissy you will meet.  I don't like spicy/hot Mex food.  Probably doesn't make a lot of sense,  but I don't most days.
  • I agree with PPs. I like Mexican but it is not for everyone and is very specific to people's tastes. I think the taco bar is fun but would be best for a more laid-back, casual wedding since it will be messy and involve people eating with their hands. Could you perhaps do tacos as well as some of the Italian stuff and just have a variety of food? I would enjoy that as a guest.

Also, who is paying for the food? I gathered that you are from the way you worded the OP, but if your parents/family are paying for it, they do get a say in what food is offered.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We are doing Mexican food for our wedding, but we tried to make sure we had plenty of options.    We had traditional mexican wedding food (pork chile verde, chicken mole, rice, beans, tortillas), but we also added a few vegetarian items (cheese and squash quesadillas and a veggie stir fry type dish).   We are also doing taquitos that are not spicy. 

our guest list is around 100 people... and I know them all very well. They are either family or close friends. 

We are also doing a pretty decent size spread of basic cold appetizers that are not mexican food.  Cheese/crackers, fruit, and assorted other items) and a dessert bar in addition to cake that will have some hearty muffins and scones.   So, if someone really hates mexican food, there will be other things to snack on.  Do I want to make a full meal out of cheese and crackers and muffins?  probably not, but at least I know no one will starve.

With that said, I have also been spreading the word that the reception will be mexican food and also put it on the "reception" portion of the wedding website.
  • Thanks for the thoughts! I am going to go with the Mexican food, but make some adjustments to be sure that there is something for everyone. I'll have: Lightly seasoned white rice (just with a bit of lime and cilantro) Chicken fajitas- normally they cook the chicken with onions and peppers, but I am going to request that the chicken is cooked separately, to keep the chicken a bit more bland to accommodate tastes, and to have the onions and peppers as a vegetarian option, and so people can mix the chicken and peppers on their own if they want. Vegetarian refried beans Mexican corn casserole... Again I am going to keep the flavor mild on this one. Normally they add a lot of chili powder but I am going to forgo that. I'll also have a big mixed salad with a few different dressing options. For appetizers I'll have chips, salsa, and guacomole
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards