Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Catering Your Own Reception

Is anyone planning to cater their own reception?  What are your thoughts?

Re: Catering Your Own Reception

• Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is extremely ambitious of you, but I do not understand how you could realistically pull it off. Are you going to be in the kitchen in your wedding gown? 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems so logistically difficult that I don't really know where to begin. 

If the idea is to cut costs, there has got to be an easier way than trying to simultaneously be the host, guest of honor, and caterer at the same time.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a bad, bad idea unless you're super organized and don't want to be mentally present at your reception and have people you can delegate to (meaning they definitely won't be kicking back and enjoying your reception). Have you cooked/served for large groups before?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family and my Fiance's family is helping in making the food. We are doing heavy appts. So its working out pretty good. Ive been to plenty where it was not hired in catering and the food is always better lol
  • Options
    ashynichashynich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom wanted to do this. I told her she was crazy. 
  • Options
    SharayahShaySharayahShay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is what we're doing for our wedding as well. Two of my FMIL's cousins make it their tradition when family gets married to be the cooks for the wedding--they consider it their gift to the bride and groom.

The cousins will be set up in the kitchen at the reception area and will be assisted by other family members with setting everything up (we're having a taco bar!). So no, I won't be in the kitchen helping in my dress (I'm sure food would still show up on my black gown), but this saved us sooo much money, and since it's worked before, I'm sure it'll be great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KaitlinRichKaitlinRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are not having a fully blown meal at our reception, just some decorated tables with dessert and snackish foods (breads... long story). But I am making my cake. Yes, my mom has told me this will be extremely stressful but I am a perfectionist and doubt anyone could make it to my liking. (I have made several wedding cakes before) But my best advise would be to PLAN EVERYTHING before you start! For me it has helped to draw detailed sketches of the food, presentation, and tables to get an idea and help me better explain it to my family who will help with the set-up.

• Options
    Nutmeg112Nutmeg112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister did this and it worked out great! It was a huge money saver as well. We had her wedding at my parent's house and myself, my mother, and some other guests were in chrage of the food. We cooked and set it all up and I don't remember it being a distraction for us at all because we each had one small duty assigned to us. She had a main course pig roast, which made up for the fact that the rest of the dishes were more potluck-ish. I am planning my wedding in June and plan do our catering much the same way.
  • Options
    doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Family will be cooking mine. I will be busy with the wedding. I think it might be too much if YOU were planning to do it all, unless there are a small number of people coming and you cooked it all before the day of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will be doing our own food also.  One of my FSIL will be in charge and will help me plan the menu, but I will not be doing any of the serving.  She volunteered to do it, and I gladly accepted. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    orangecrush32orangecrush32 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister was going to do this, but my parents sat her down and convinced her that it was a bad idea. She was basically going to be asking me, our sister, mom, two aunts, two cousins to be her slaves for the day. She ended up using a site with a catering service and while the food wasn't spectacular, everyone was able to relax and have a good time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    AbbyAlexAbbyAlex member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents are catering mine. They used to own a catering company and offered the day after I got engaged. I told them money was not an issue and we could afford it but my mom feels like it's part of her motherly duties which I am so okay with. Both my parents are amazing cooks. I know that the food will be ten times better than any caterer. My mom is making all the side dishes and my dad and my fiance's dad are making the main course ( fried chicken ). The meal part of the reception is only the first hour and a half. After that they can enjoy the reception with the rest of the guests.

If you want to it can certainly be done. Just plan well and you'll be just fine.
    In a time when nothing is more certain than change, the commitment of two people to one another has become difficult and rare. Yet, by its scarcity, the beauty and value of this exchange have only been enhanced. ~Robert Sexton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FMIL offered to cater our reception for up to 100 guests. She has about 60-70 family members over multiple times during the year for holidays, so she is more than prepared.

Lucky for her, we're only having 35 guests. At this point, we are planning on doing tea sandwiches with homemade fruit/veggie/cheese platters, potato salad, chips & dip. Our ceremony is at 11am, and 35 people do not require a lot of food (compared to 100+ guests, of course). All of our choices can be made the day before (fruit will be cut up that morning).
    Always Daddy's Little Girl
    kimdad-2

Mr. vs Mrs. Food Blog
    (Updated 6/12/11, please vote for the next dish!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards