Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cutting the Cake

I was wondering what the whole importance was with having a cake and cutting it? We are having a destination wedding and have few guests. We thought why do we need to have a cake? We were going to serve minni cheesecakes and various cookes. Has this been done before? Not having the cutting of the cake?

Re: Cutting the Cake

• One of my friends had a cookie display instead of a cake.  The couple both absolutely love chocolate chip cookies so they had a ton of yummy cookies displayed on a cupcake stand...they also served cute glasses of milk as well.  Instead of cutting the cake they just fed each other a cookie.  It was really cute and who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies!?!

• We had a dessert table with blueberry cobbler, ice cream, sorbet, chocolate chip cookies w/milk shooters, chocolate cake, lemon cake, and chocolate fondue.  

As long as you provide some kind of dessert, you're fine.  I would suggest not doing only cheesecakes (it sounds like you're already on that track with the cookies)--I think it's fairly common to dislike cheesecake.
  • The cake-cutting traditionally signals the beginning of the end of the reception. It can be the it's-polite-to-leave-now event. My worry with skipping it entirely is people won't have that signal.

But I also feel the dynamics are different with destination weddings.
  • As long as you have SOME sort of dessert, you should be fine. People will be happy to have any sweets. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cutting-the-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0a6ebe4b-ad68-437c-bb59-e7eb81094400Post:97e2315c-7906-47ab-84ca-abcc0a72bb1c">Re: Cutting the Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]The cake-cutting traditionally <strong>signals the beginning of the end of the reception</strong>. It can be the it's-polite-to-leave-now event. My worry with skipping it entirely is people won't have that signal. But I also feel the dynamics are different with destination weddings.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. 

So many people cut the cake early on in the reception now.  We did ours before the entree was served. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards