Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

We Don't Like Cake!! Do We Have To Have One?

My husband and I are looking to renew our vows soon, and when we got married the first time there were SO many issues about the cakes. Neither of us really like cake, but both our families pressured us to have a bridal cake and groom's cake. We ended up doing a plain sheet cake for his groom's cake, and he didn't even eat a bite of it, he just agreed to have one to make his mom happy. The bride's cake was a 6 tiered key lime and coconut cake with whipped topping and coconut icing. It was very pretty but unfortunately the cake was so soft that it wasn't pretty for very long. It collapsed. The guests still ate it and everyone said it was delicious, but it looked awful in the pictures. I have been to a lot of weddings and eaten a lot of cakes, and I have to say that I have thought all of them were revolting. I don't like fondant, I don't like royal or buttercream icing, and neither does my husband. We don't like cupcakes either. We do like red velvet cake with cream cheese icing, cheesecakes, and tiramisu. We also thought that the key lime and coconut cake was good, until it fell. Chocolate is not an option because my husband hates chocolate. So that's the problem. We want our guests to be happy but we don't want to pay a lot of money for a cake when neither of us like cake, since the last time our families pressured us and it was a disaster. One thought I had was to do 200 mini cheesecake tartlets for 100 guests. That way everyone gets two, but somehow I think that might be more expensive than having a big cake. Are there any other creative options out there?

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: We Don't Like Cake!! Do We Have To Have One?

• edited December 2011
    We are having two tiers of our cake red velvet. Who says you cant do that?!
  • edited December 2011
    I am in the Cincinnati area and my baker has over 20 cake flavors and fillings and they were all very good, except I don't like coconut or pistachio. She does red velvet with cream cheese filling, too. Just because you don't like cake it doesn't mean you all your guests don;t. They are guests and most will expect cake, just do a lot of tastings, and get a good one. It also doesn't have to be too expensive, just do a lot of looking around before you decide. Also, you are not expected to eat the whole thing! Most people do like cake and you can have every tier a different flavor. Even chocolate, your new DH can have some of another flavor. Just cause it's there it doesn't mean he has to eat it. If you truelly don't want a cake, or cannot afford one, people will deal with it, but not liking cake is not a reason not to get one for the wedding. My baker can also stack and decorate cheese cakes to look like a wedding cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards