Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cake on a budget

Hey all,  I am getting married in 5 months and am beginning the process of picking out my cake. I am attempting to stick to a pretty tight budget for my wedding, and I am cannot believe how much cakes cost. Anyone have a recommendation of a good inexpensive bakery in the Orlando area? Thanks!

Re: cake on a budget

• LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get a fancy round for the photos and then cut up sheet cakes to feed the masses.  Costco does very good cakes for very little money.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    No recommendations for Orlando area but a cheap alternative to cake is anything else basically! We used mini tarts for our July wedding and it cost us about $250 for dessert for 175 people! We had a variety of mini tart flavors- all fresh fruit with cream cheese or jam fillings- guests loved them and it saved us so much money!
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I would try looking at independant people, rather than the large bakeries.  I found a person on my local Craigslist board who started her business out of her house a few years ago.  She is great to work with and very willing to do any special design styles we have come up with.  She came to our house for the taste testing and brought 4 6" cakes plus a gift of 2 fancy caramel apples.  Her prices were great ($2.25 a slice including buttercream topped with fondant icing) and they tasted moist and delicious and her buttercream was not overly sweet or gritty and she does a special fondant that doesn't have the same taste or the exact consistency that people don't generally like.  The only concern I have is a backup if something were to happen to her that week.  I figure it is worth the small risk.  We are having a 5 tier square cake that serves 232 people for $550.  Make sure the initial deposit isn't too large, and that you don't have to pay the balance until the day of.  I wouldn't be comfortable paying the balance on a cake the week before as we have to for some many other things.  I want that cake at the reception before I pay for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards