Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

fake cake?!?!?

Has anyone had one of these? How much money will it really save you? Does anyone know of a good fake cake company in MA or NH???

Re: fake cake?!?!?

• edited December 2011
    First of all, a dummy cake really does not save you that much money-in some cases, it will actually cost you double! The styro dummies cost the same as the ingredients to make a real cake, plus it takes the same amount of work to decorate a fake cake as it does a real one. Many shops actually price the dummy cakes the same as a real cake! So in essence, you would be paying for a decorated tier cake that looks like it feeds 100 plus the kitchen cakes to feed 100 which equals paying DOUBLE the price! there are good reasons for doing dummy cakes, however: outdoor reception in the summer, for example. I did an absolutely HUGE (6.5 feet tall) dummy cake for a client that simply wanted to have it as a centerpiece throughout the entire reception. They served the 320 guests kitchen cakes. (FYI: a 'kitchen cake' is a 2-layer sheet cake, or round cakes..as opposed to a single-layer 'sheet' cake.) If you really want to go the fake cake route, simply ask your local bakeries if they do that-many shops will. You don't have to go out and buy the dummies yourself!
  • edited December 2011
    I have no idea, but I had a friend that wanted a 4-tier cake and she didn't had lots of guests so the biggest tier (4th one) was fake, covered like the other tiers....
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What Jbn said!!!!There was a company that specialized in doing this and once priced out it tied up $1200 without having one bite of cake.. Plus the cost of the real cake, and that's easily going to get you one of the most expensive bakers in your area with money leftover to spare.  The only situation where a fake cake MIGHT save you money is if... um...  if you... well...  Nope, not going to save you a dime compared to just ordering a cake that is within your budget from a baker in your area.  Work WITH your baker to design a cake that is within your budget and how you want it to look.  Your baker will have more tricks up their chef coat sleeve than you think for pulling off most designs on a budget (within reason of course, you aren't going to get a Sylvia Weinstock cake for Walmart prices)... 
  • edited December 2011
    there is a lady local to me (portland, or) who does fake cakes, and they are cheaper than a real cake.  She quoted me for both a fake cake with sheets and a real cake and the prices were very similar, but we are having a small cake.  She said it would be more worth our money if the the cake were larger/for a larger party.  We are only having 50 guests.  I believe it depends on the baker as far as costs go.  The faux cake lady I contacted is doing reusable cake (changing the colors/designs for each wedding) to save costs on the fake cakes.
  • edited December 2011
    That is true. if you get a fake cake, you generally rent it.  Thats how they are cheaper.
  • edited December 2011
    I am making our Fake Cake!!  I bought the cake form from a Knottie on Trash to Treasure Board for 20 bucks. Supplies around 30 bucks and we getting sheet cake for the guests in the back.  I am so excited!!!  Savings? = $$$$$$$
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister teaches a fondant class a few times a year, and is making the cake for my daugther's reception.  Because she lives in DC, and we live in Atlanta, she'll be doing a fake cake (just adding the fondant and decorations when she gets here) and we'll be doing slices to serve.  One tier will be a real cake for the cake cutting.  She has done a lot of fake cakes over the past couple of years--you can do a lot of it ahead, (don't have to spend the 3 days before baking, etc.) so that's where you have some of the savings. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards