Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do people really do this with cake?

I've been seeing a lot about cake bags or little cake boxes that you can send your guests home with. I wasn't planning on going with a big cake, and only have invted 100 guests, but thought if I ordered a bigger cake maybe sending them with a slice would double as a wedding favor? Has anyone ever seen this done. Also, who would actually put the cake in the boxes or bags for me? It seems like a tedious job and I don't really want to pay someone to do that unless absolutely necessary. Maybe that's a courtesy service?
Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Re: Do people really do this with cake?

• edited December 2011
    I have seen this done and it was very nice. The couple ordered double the amount of cake they actually needed so that they could give the guests cake to take home. They had a total of 75 people there so it wasn't too expensive to do it. The cake was already packaged before the cutting of the actual cake and placed on each guests seat after the actual cake cutting. I guess they had another cake made for this reason because I didn't see anyone boxing up left over cake. But if you don't do a seperate cake, you can have the left over cake moved into the back and then boxed up. If you have a caterer you can ask if they can do this for you and if it will the cost of their services go up. That way it gets done and no one sees what's going on with the left over cake; it can be a nice suprise for them. With the caterer doing it, no one at the reception has to miss out on anything because they are boxing up cake. I hope this helps you.
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding years ago that did this. We had a different desert then took cake on the way out. It was a bit dry the next day.
  • edited December 2011
    I read somewhere that this hearkens back to a (southern?) tradition of having the bridal cake at the reception and sending slices of the grooms cake home to those that couldn't make it. FWIW, I would do it if I was having an over the top wedding. If your thinking of doing it, I would consider having cupcakes that you (or the baker) put in little bags.
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No. I've been to countless cake receptions and have yet to see boxes or bags used in real life. I have heard many horror stories from people who have used bags because there is nothing at all to keep them from getting smashed and making a huge mess all over everything. Also, if people don't eat cake at the reception, they won't eat a slice that is taken home. I'd just save your money and put it toward something else. The only time I have seen cake taken home was in large chunks that is transported either in the bakery box it came in or tupperware containers, both of which are alot easier to deal with than individual slices.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Btw, a family member or other guest is usually stuck with that job, which is not something I would ask anyone to do for the fact that it is tedious.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aphrodite, that cake tradition actually stems from Victorian England, not the South, where groom's cake was fruitcake covered in fondant so it would last forever and was unlikely to get smashed near as easy as American cake recipes. It also wasn't intended to be eaten at all if it was placed under a single girl's pillow.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm probably doing something similar, but with individual wedding cakes as favors, already boxed up by my baker before the reception. Then we'll just have a 6 inch cake for the cake "ceremony".
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Never ever seen it done IRL.
  • hatchjdhatchjd member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is popular in the UK where the cake is often served later  in the evening (around10pm) with coffee instead of as a dessert.The cut cake is put out on plates and it is common to have boxes or bags adjacent for those that want to take cake home for themselves or family members ie: children not attending the wedding.  It is also common practice to give cake to those who were unable to attend. In the past this would have been fruit cake but there has been a move to flavoured cakes like the USA. As a child in the UK we would received small boxes of cake by mail from distant family weddings. Personally I think it is a lovely idea and no left over cake to throw away. Janice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards