Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Calling all cake experts! Found my cake, but is it DIY-able?

Sorry to post twice in a row on the board, but I just found this cake and had to ask! My FMIL wants to make my wedding cake, and although I trust that she'll do a good job (she's done all of her children's wedding cakes), I'm wondering if this is too complicated to ask of her:

Thinking the edible flowers can just be replaced with real roses... As it looks like they've just done buttercream frosting (which I prefer) with a bit of piping texture on the sides and used ribbon around the bottom of the layers, it doesn't look too complicated, but I have no personal experience in making cakes. Would this be too big of a request? 

Also, where do you get those black tier separator thingys?
"He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at."

Re: Calling all cake experts! Found my cake, but is it DIY-able?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea--I just wanted to say I love the cake!  Very elegant yet modern looking too.  If she has done cakes, your FMIL may know how to separate the tiers.  And nothing else about it looks too complicated.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Does she have experience making wedding cakes other than her children's? How complicated were theirs? I would maybe just show her the picture and ask her if she has ever made one like it and if she would be able to make it for you. She would know better than anyone if she is capable of doing it. It is a beautiful cake. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The most complicated part will be the stacking of the cakes. That form of cake requires some engineering and experience with tiering. Her experience will dictate whether or not it is doable, I would recommend a trial run to make sure that it is something she is comfortable with. Here is a site I use on a regular basis for my cake making supplies: www.sugarcraft.com. They may have the center stackings or something similar, the site is hard to search at times.
  • Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As stated previously, I would definitely show her the photo and see if she is comfortable with doing such a design.  The decorating part itself is not complicated, it's the styro disc separators that make this construction a bit more complicated.  If she is pretty well talented, she should be able to pull this off- but if she needs some advice here is a great cake decorators' site to check out: CakeCentral.com
  • Options
    neongreenboxneongreenbox member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard that square tiers are actually tougher - frosting the corners can be very tricky to look nice. Talk to her and see if it something she would be comfortable with
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH is making my cake.  It will be hexagonal in shape, and she will be doing a "practice" cake (or two, LOL) to make sure she is comfortable making it.  She told me if I do not like it, she will not feel bad if I end up going to someone else to make it. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    agranvoldagranvold member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If she's fairly new my advice is:

-Circle cakes are much easier than squares since there's no corners to worry about.

-Watch the height becauce getting it to be tough enought to stay that way for a long time can be hard. Maybe even taking out the empty spaces to just layering them on each other?

-Molding chocolate instead of fondunt can be nice to use since any dents, scatches, holes, etc. can disappear by rubbing.

-PRACTICE!!!!! Make a cake or two before the actual one. Try different shapes, sizes, shapes, materials, etc. It will all be worth it!

GOOD LUCK!
    Miss Andrea-Thomas-To-Be!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards