Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No baker in town?!?!

I swear it is impossible to get married in this town!!  I want to rip my hair out when it even comes to the thought of the cake.  There is no...get this...no baker in this town.  Not unless you include the grocery stores...
I need some help here.  The BM is a wonderful baker but has no fondant exp.  Is it too much to ask him(he has offered and hinted several times he would love to make our cake) to make the cake?  He will have plenty on his plate being the Best Man and all, wouldn't it be just a bit much to do the cake as well?  Maybe I am over thinking this.
Should I throw out the traditional(really the only traditional thing we are doing), cake idea?  What to do in place of the cake?

A couple of tid-bits that may help.  This is a budget wedding, and there will be at the most 150 people attending.

Thanks in advance!
Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!

Re: No baker in town?!?!

• I'd say if the best man has offered, give him a chance to prove himself with a "sample" one layer cake. You don't have to have fondant, It's possible to do a smooth frosting layer with butter cream.

A cake can be made a day or two in advance and refrigerated. That should not put any pressure on him if he offers and you like you his talents.

If he can do a one or 2 layer cake, it's possible to get sheet cakes from stores like Sam's Club or Costco (if you have one near you). Even if they are a couple of hours away they don't go bad in that amount of time as long as you have a refrigerator to hold them.

Sorry, that's all I have. Also, if there any "gourmet type stores" in the area (probably not) they also do wedding cakes. We got our cake from one

Good luck.
  • I applaud you on having a wedding in a place that's important to you, rather than easy or expected.

I don't like fondant, so please let this friend do a buttercream cake, if he's really offered.
  • Have him to a cake and then some cupcakes...cupcakes are low stress
  • Thank you all ladies!  The help is very much appreciated!

I didn't even think about a smooth buttercream frosting.  That should be very do-able and tastey as well.  Looks like a phone call to the BM is needed.  Thanks!!
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
  • Okay, so I know that I'm not in Wyoming, I'm in Fort collins Colorado. But depending on what part of Wyoming your getting married in I could deliver. Here is my website, check me out, my prices are very comptetitive. www.ashleyscreations.org
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards