Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Worth the $6pp upgrade or not?

I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth it to pay an extra $6 per person to upgrade to a FULL plated meal instead of having 2 out of 6 courses served as "French style" (where the waiter plates your food at your table). I'm not really sure why the venue just doesn't do it for these 2 courses, but I'm wondering if it'll look odd that 60% is plated, 40% is French. 

Here's our menu: (P=PLATED, F= FRENCH SERVICE)
(1) various bite sized appetizers (P)
(2) French Onion Soup (P)
(3) Salmon with rice and a bowl of salad per table (F)
(4) Lemon Intermezzo (P)
(5) ribeye steak with potatoes and veggies (F)
(6) Wedding cake (P)

So basically only #3 and #5 are not plated. 

We have around 260 adults, 11 teens, and 30 kids on our guest list, so that's a total of around 300 people. If we were to pay $6pp, it would have to also include the tax and gratuity, so it would be more like $7.60pp multiplied by around 300 people = $2280ish.

I think that's kind of a lot to spend on plating 2 courses, but as I said, I'm a bit worried that it might look odd and was thinking that if that's a possibility then I could try negotiating with the venue. On the other hand, I'm thinking that I'm likely overthinking this and it might not be that big of a deal.

Thoughts? What would you feel like/thing of it as a bride and/or guest?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Worth the $6pp upgrade or not?

• Table side service is another way to describe the "French" service.  It's fun and interactive; not weird at all.  I'd never spend an extra $6 a person to have the exact same food plated in the kitchen rather than served table side.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_worth-the-6pp-upgrade-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:191e3c13-b14c-4645-8242-69891b460ce5Post:13e9a103-add8-4b6a-9140-63838af53691">Re: Worth the $6pp upgrade or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Table side service is another way to describe the "French" service.  It's fun and interactive; not weird at all.  I'd never spend an extra $6 a person to have the exact same food plated in the kitchen rather than served table side.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh ok! I don't think I've ever been to a wedding with French/Table-side service, so I wasn't sure how it would be and if others thought it was OK or a no-no. If it were a major no-no then I would likely try to negotiate the $6pp down, but from what you said, it's a non-issue :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I really don't want to spend that much either (and the total is mind-blowing!), especially when I could upgrade to something that might really help or just save that money.</div>
  • I wouldn't even bat an eyelash that only a couple of courses are not plated but table service instead. Save the money for something else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely don't spend the money on that.  I actually think that the variety could be nice, anyway.
  • Definitely not worth the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards