Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do I need hors 'd oeuvres?

I am having a my ceremony and reception at the same place on a Friday night starting at 6:30. I am not wanting to have hors 'd oeuvre, instead after the ceremony have the salad plated and then about 20-30 mins later open the buffet. My parents want hors d' oeuvres while I take pictures so my guests won't have to wait for food. I believe it will be late enough after my ceremony that they shouldn't have to wait and the majority of pictures will already be taken. I believe I will be there by the time the buffet opens. What do you think about this plan?

Re: Do I need hors 'd oeuvres?

• So you want to have guests go to the reception and eat their salads before you get there?  They're not waiting for food then.  I think that is a little strange.  If it is in your budget and you have a space to have hors d'oeuvres and beverages for your guests while you are taking photos, that would be nice.  

Also, have you talked to your photographer about how much time to allot for photos after the ceremony?  You don't want to feel rushed or have your guests waiting for you to enter the reception if your photos are taking longer than expected.
  • I am trying to picture this in my mind.

- Ceremony at 6:30, lasting about 30 minutes?
    - Guests go to the dining area afterward while you are taking pictures?
    - Salads are on the tables for them to start eating if they want?
    - Dinner about 30 minutes after they are seated and have eaten their salad?

This timing might be fine, but I think you may be underestimating the amount of time for photographs unless the pics are being taken right at the same place as the ceremony and reception, and you are only taking less than 100 posed pics.

Are your parents paying? If mine were, and they wanted and can afford appetizers, I'd probably do that because honestly picture taking is generally not done in 30 minutes.

If you are paying, or appetizers cost too much, I guess your plan is ok. However, I think you need to think over all the timing..........do you want a "grand entrance" of you as a married couple with the bridal party? That generally happens before everyone has their dinner or is in the buffet line. And that has to wait until your pictures are taken.

Our ceremony and reception were in the same historic village. Have you considered a "first look" with your fiance, having pictures taken before the ceremony? We did this and it was nice, because other than a couple of pictures in the chapel after the ceremony, we were able to join our guests within 15 minutes of the ceremony ending. They had their drinks, we had the "grand entrance", and the buffet was opened.
  • I would have them.  People don't generally go from the ceremony directly to their seat.  They like to mingle around, talk to people etc.   Hors d'oeuvres is a good way for them to nibble on something while they do that and while you are doing pictures.   You do not need to got all out.  Cheese/crackes and a veggie tray is good.

FWIW - most of my pictures were done ahead of time and we stil have 45 minutes of pictures done after the ceremony.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would do appetizers, if it's in your budget, especially if people will be drinking during that time.
    Anniversary
  • I'd probably still have them!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • smartlyprettysmartlypretty member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I think your guests would feel strange starting to eat before the bride and groom arrived- I sure would. A cocktail hour really is the best thing- it's something for your guests to do while you take pictures. You can just do a plate of cheese and crackers and some veggies. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards