Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Breakfast for Dinner

Has anyone ever served/thought of serving a breakfast buffet for dinner at their wedding reception??? My fiance and I love the idea, as we love breakfast, but we aren't totally convinced as some people seem to not think it's such a great idea. We seem to be getting mixed reviews. We know it's our wedding and we can do what we want but we also want our guests to be pleased.

We're not talking about a simple, bacon, eggs, and toast plated meal but a huge buffet with omelettes, waffles, pancakes, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage, everything!

Thoughts?!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Breakfast for Dinner

• moozumumoozumu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sounds delicious. esp with a mimosa or bloody mary.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our house, we call this "Brupper".  LOL  For my second daughter that is soon-to-be-engaged, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she decides to do this. Brupper is her fav!!  =)

Go for it!
  • pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea... maybe just spread through word of mouth that it will be a breakfast supper instead of an actual supper supper. I love the idea though... it might be neat to add in a couple stations as well, like a create your own omlette or top your own waffles station if you have the money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    I think is a super idea and unique. Some quests may not like it, but you can't always please everyone...I'm sure all your guests will remember it!
  • padburcdpadburcd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it! It sounds delicious and totally unique! You could also try to include some more brunch-y foods, that could also be served for dinner (ham/salad) so that some could avoid the breakfast food all together if they wanted to miss out!
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just might steal this idea!
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • mabrianimabriani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel much better! Our wedding coordinator looked at us like we were crazy and said that in all of her years no one has ever asked for that. For us that's even more of a reason to do it!!!

We're dealing w/ two opposite ends of the spectrum here. People either really, really, really love it and are excited or they think it's a bad idea. I just want to be remembered!

Make-your-own waffles take so long but I love the idea of just a waffle/pancake topping station. I think we have to do it. People are expecting "creative" from us and I think we owe it to them!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do it once a week or so at our house.  It's "Dinfest," here. :)  I think it's a great, and unique, idea for a reception.  I'd love an omelette station to be a choice at a reception I was attending!
    10-10-10
  • UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This has been discussed a few times on this board...look further down on this page or maybe on page 2 for a post called "brinner."  It's very polarizing--people either love it or hate it.  Personally, I hate breakfast foods of any kind.  I would be quite at a loss for what to eat.  I think it's definitely something to forewarn people about if you do go that route.  And I'd consider your crowd--is this something that your family and friends do at their houses?  If not, it may turn them off.  If it is, they'll probably love it.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i love breakfast food, i love breakfast food for dinner.  but i hate breakfast buffets because the eggs get rubbery and the pancakes get soggy.  if you're having a huge reception, i don't think the food would turn out as well as you'd hope, but maybe that's just me....
  • munkeybutz04munkeybutz04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i LOVE this idea too...  i love breakfast for dinner!  for those that dont as much...mabye you can do like a breakfast burrito/fajita section??  or something like that, that can be eaten for breakfast but is still more of a lunch or dinner food?   i wish i would have thought of that!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a breakfast person at all either - the thought of having it for dinner doesn't work for me at all. I think the girls have hit it on the nail. It's going to be a polarizing issue amongst your guests. Some of them WILL hate it, and some of them will think it's the best idea they've ever heard. As long as you're comfortable with the criticism, then go for it.
  • edited December 2011
    I love having breakfast for dinner personally; anytime is a good time for eggs and bacon in my world, but for a wedding, I wouldn't be for it at all; eggs don't always take kindly to buffets and it might not be as substantial as some people might like
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • orangejuliusorangejulius member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think if you decide to do this, it has to be done right. Like someone mentioned, a buffet of rubbery, cold scrambled eggs doesn't quite hit the spot. Also, what kind of drink options do you plan to have? I can't really stomach throwing back a beer while eating a syrupy waffle or even worse...eggs. But maybe that's just me.

It's a very cool idea, I just think it needs to be executed the right way. And I wouldn't be too worried about people who hate the idea because most every wedding will have someone who just doesn't like the food...no matter what is served.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • skelle12skelle12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love this idea!  I would love breakfast for my reception dinner but i don't think it would fly with my family.  I'm sure most ppl would like it, too, but there are probably some that wouldn't.  We were thinking about having a breakfast type thing at the end of the reception--around 12 AM or 1 AM, probably just pancakes, eggs, and ham or something like that though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards