Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is this enough food??

So my fiance and I were planning on doing a sit down dinner, but the caterers raised the price almost $4 per person, so plus tax and service charge is an extra $1000. So instead we are looking at just doing hors d'oerves. We are planning on around 200 people. Here is what we are thinking:

Spinach and Artichoke Dip for 200 people
Veggie Tray with assorted dips for 200 people
Cold cut tray with Rolls, assortment of meats and condiments for 200 people

Hors D'oerves
400 pieces of mini beef wellington
800 pieces of sausage stuffed mushrooms
200 pieces of crab cakes
600 pieces of crispy chicken tenders

The means that each person would have 10 pieces of Hors d'oerves plus spinach dip, veggies, and cold cut tray. Is this enough for a 4 hour reception?

Re: Is this enough food??

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2012
    The average for a cocktail reception is 5-8 pieces per person.

To make it a meal 15-17 pieces per person is suggested. 

It's also suggested to have 8-10 different choices if it's during meal time.  You have 7.  Not bad, but I would suggest another non-meat based hors d'oeuvers.  As of right now any vegetarians get to eat some dip and a few carrots.

Are sausage stuffed mushrooms a big hit with your crowd?  800 seems like a lot.  I would make it more like 600 and add another 200 crabcakes.

I would also up the cold cuts to 1.5-2 per person.  So between 300 and 400. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think you have some good ideas, but I would add a few more non-meat apps.  Perahps something like a cheese platter, or fruit tray, or twice baked potatoes
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_is-this-enough-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:29a73139-6903-4818-ac6f-113160bad840Post:ee8558d9-d3fe-4eaa-8991-10a3bc64c877">Re: Is this enough food??</a>:
    [QUOTE]The average for a cocktail reception is 5-8 pieces per person. To make it a meal 15-17 pieces per person is suggested.  It's also suggested to have 8-10 different choices if it's during meal time.  You have 7.  Not bad, but I would suggest another non-meat based hors d'oeuvers.  As of right now any vegetarians get to eat some dip and a few carrots. Are sausage stuffed mushrooms a big hit with your crowd?  800 seems like a lot.  I would make it more like 600 and add another 200 crabcakes. I would also up the cold cuts to 1.5-2 per person.  So between 300 and 400. 
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

The caterer doesn't do the cold cuts, veggie tray, spinach dip by the piece its by the person so that is alreay portioned out. I agree with you about too much meat; I will try and find some more vegetarian friendly choices.
  • How big are the rolls?  If they mini-rolls (2-4 inches) I would get 2 orders of cold cuts. 

If they are larger rolls (around 6 inches) then you might be okay with just one order.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think that's too many sausage stuffed mushrooms.  I'd cut that down to like 200 and then do 600 of something else (or 300/300 of two "something's else") 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_is-this-enough-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:29a73139-6903-4818-ac6f-113160bad840Post:6cb78857-b279-4fc4-af80-36438bc2e4c9">Is this enough food??</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my fiance and I were planning on doing a sit down dinner, but the caterers raised the price almost $4 per person, so plus tax and service charge is an extra $1000. So instead we are looking at just doing hors d'oerves. We are planning on around 200 people. Here is what we are thinking: Spinach and Artichoke Dip for 200 people Veggie Tray with assorted dips for 200 people Cold cut tray with Rolls, assortment of meats and condiments for 200 people Hors D'oerves 400 pieces of mini beef wellington 800 pieces of sausage stuffed mushrooms 200 pieces of crab cakes 600 pieces of crispy chicken tenders The means that each person would have 10 pieces of Hors d'oerves plus spinach dip, veggies, and cold cut tray. Is this enough for a 4 hour reception?
    Posted by jtpelton[/QUOTE]

I understand having to cut the menu due to cost , my only recommendation is to make sure the guests are aware that a full dinner is not being served.  I have been to several weddings and although they had tons of hors d'oeurves with a few hundred people they didn't last nearly as long as the hosts thought they would as most people show up to receptions hungry.    Also if you are having an open bar or alcohol at the reception I would re-think it - only because hungry people who haven't had enough to eat and alcohol don't mix. 

Are you locked in with the caterer? If you are the price should have been locked in too... otherwise shop for a new catered if you have time...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It looks fine but sometimes people tend to eat more when they snack.  You just want to make sure you have filling appts so that once they eat a few, they will be full.

Sucks about your caterer though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards