Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How many lbs of meat for buffet?++

I'm also going to post this in DIY, since we're mostly DIYing our food!

Websites online suggested 30lbs of meat per 100 people, and DF got a quote from a local BBQ place (very popular) that would provide the food (but not actually cater) and they suggested 20lbs for 80 people (we'd have about 70-75 ppl). Does this sound right to you? And would that be 20lbs PER meat (say, turkey and beef) or 20lbs total (so 10lb each?)

Re: How many lbs of meat for buffet?++

• Well 20 lbs of meat for 80 people is a quarter pound per person. That sounds like it's in the right ball park. But to be on the safe side I'd probably do a bit more than that. There are big eaters out there that I'm sure could easily eat over a quarter pound of meat. I'd rather have a bit too much than not enough food. But it also depends on what else you are serving. If you have several sides, apps, desserts, etc. than I'm sure 20 lbs is enough.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_many-of-meat-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:2e1c2231-2d0f-4465-94ef-f178e1dcd346Post:250803f2-3e59-4655-b362-831bceec0338">Re: How many lbs of meat for buffet?++</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well 20 lbs of meat for 80 people is a quarter pound per person. That sounds like it's in the right ball park. But to be on the safe side I'd probably do a bit more than that. There are big eaters out there that I'm sure could easily eat over a quarter pound of meat. I'd rather have a bit too much than not enough food. But it also depends on what else you are serving. If you have several sides, apps, desserts, etc. than I'm sure 20 lbs is enough.
    Posted by MelissaC315[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you think it's enough cushion to order enough for 80 people (by the restaurant's suggestion) if I know that, at-most we'd have 70 people attending (probably less)</div>
  • 1/4 pound per person sounds right for boneless meats.  For meats with bones in (like ribs) generally you would double it. 
  • This website is very helpful in figuring quantities for a crowd:

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards