Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Size of tiers on cake

How wide are each of the tiers on your wedding cake? I just got a quote from a baker for a two-tiered cake. The bottom layer would be 10 inches and the top layer would be 6 inches. That seems really small to me, but I'm wondering if it won't seem as small when they are stacked high.
11-13-10
Planning + Married

Re: Size of tiers on cake

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My 4 tier was 15, 12, 9, and 6.   So if you want to look at my cake in my bio, the top 2 tiers were 6 and 9.  The top tier was my topper--which was not counted in the amount the cake would serve since we were keeping it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My cake is the same size as your Alka - 10 in & 6 in (each layer is 4 inches high).  It's a fair size cake.  We opted for something smaller because we only have 36 guests.  If you are worried about size you could always add a fake bottom layer.
  • Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    6" Round - Dark Chocolate Cake - 10 servings
    10" Round - Almond Cake - 36 servings
    14" Round - Chocolate Cake - 72 servings 
    Originally the cake was only supposed to be for 75 people, but it will actually serve twice that to get the desired look I want which requires a minimum of two inches difference between the tiers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey girl,

A 6,8,10" Round will give you the heighth you are looking for and will feed aprox. 76 people...a 6,9,12" Round will feed 102 people....

if you are going square than you can do 6,8,10 and that will feed 100 people.  All of these will give you the two inch different wich is standard for wedding cakes!  If you have any other questions or concerns email me at: jen@mycakeworld.com!

Good Luck hun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards