Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake piece sizes

We're planning on using our cake as dessert - meaning that we want to offer bigger pieces of cake than the traditional wedding size.  I'm just not exactly sure how big to make them.  I'm going to be making my own cake so I can't really ask a baker about sizing.  Anyone have an idea about what size would work for a dessert size slice of cake that will end up being about 3.5" in height?

Re: Cake piece sizes

• Options
    bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Standard size is 1"x2"x4"

If you've ever noticed, a lot of venues cut more of a 1/2" slice! grrr...  a 1" piece is sufficient for a dessert, but if you want to be really generous, consider a 11/2" slice.  Just remember that the larger piece means needing more cake!  Is your venue cutting the cake? If so, make sure they know to slice larger pieces or you will have a ton of cake left over!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also bake a "show" dessert and have a big sheet cake to serve your guest. That may be budget friendly and you can give out big chunks!!!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Talk with your baker.  When he/she drops off the cake, he/she will instruct the reception venue staff how to cut the cake specifically to your request (larger pieces, etc.).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The standard size wedding cake slice is 1" wide x 2" deep and 4" high.  You can find all the info you need here:
    http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

and here:
    http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know the standard size is 1"x2"x"4, but I do want larger pieces since it's all there will be for dessert.  Our cake will be closer to 3" high (rather than 4), so I was thinking that 2"x2" might be a better choice.  I'm making the cake myself, so there's not a significant difference in cost.

Thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards