Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Is this menu nice enough?

So, we picked the menu for our March wedding months ago, but I keep thinking it isn't nice enough for a wedding. I need opinions. Tell me what you honestly think please. It fits our budget right now as is, but I want my guests to have a great experience. 

For background information my wedding is in a historic Rhode Island building that was built around the 30's It's not a black tie wedding, but it's formal. The ceremony is in the afternoon and the reception is in the evening so this would be dinner. 

At the cocktail hour there will be a fresh sliced fruit, vegetable crudites display with assorted cheese (cheddar, swiss and munster) with a medley of crackers. (This is by the person so it's a display large enough for 100 people)

For dinner the stations are

Pasta Station: Penne with Chicken and Pesto Alfredo, Cracked Lemon Pepper Linguine Primavera and Home style Fedelini Bolognaise.

Carving Station: Roast Top Round of Beef Au Jus and honey glazed roast breast of Turkey.

Potato Bar: Serving Mashed, backed and oven roasted potatoes with sour cream, chive and olive toppings.

Salad Bar: A romaine and Spring Mix Blend served with cucumbers, red onions, cherry tomatoes and black olives.

There will also be wedding cake and a coffee bar. Later in the evening as a night snack there will also be a popcorn bar with 4 different kinds of popcorn. 

I already think some things on this menu need to be changed, but I want to know what you all think first. 

Thank you for your input girls.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is this menu nice enough?

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think the food sounds delicious and comforting, but if you're going for formal, I'm not sure it necessarily fits the bill. The mashed potato bar speaks way more of a comfortable and casual feel to me, as does the turkey (but that may be because I only ever have it Thaksgiving and Christmas). What are you feeling needs to be changed?

I think part of the challenge may be the stations - if I had a 4 course plated meal of salad, pasta, main and dessert, I think all those choices would be fine. But the getting up and moving around also speaks to a more laid back wedding to me. But, that's just my opinion! You can take it or leave it!

• Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It definately sounds delicious!!! I agree with pp about mashed potatoes. Everyone will like them though, they just aren't "formal"! I think everything sounds good though!!!
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buffets tend to be less formal than served/plated meals.  The food does sound comforting and nice, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The food sounds delicious.  I wish we could offer options like that at ours. 

If you want it to feel more formal, you could do it as a plated dinner, and maybe make the turkey option a roulade instead of carved and have prime rib instead of roast, although it's way more expensive.

Personally, I like the idea of stations.  It gets people out of their chairs and talking to each other.
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I disagree on the mashed potatoes...maybe it seems more like a comfort food since it's a station...but around here, mashed potatoes are the norm for one of the entree sides at plated reception dinners.
  • Options
    LindaN21LindaN21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds yummy :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Only thing I would change is adding more options to the salad bar.  Otherwise, I'd eat everything offered.
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the menu sounds fantastic! And I always like buffets because you get get what you want and leave what you don't.
  • Options
    MrsH8611MrsH8611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    menu sounds awesome! I am hungry now lol thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards