Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Alcohol

So in PA, where I'm getting married, I can't have an off-site cash bar, as it is illegal. I am getting married in my inlaws' backyard. I would like to have alcohol at my wedding, but I'm not crazy about the open bar idea as they tend to be expensive and have the potential to create problems. I was wondering if there was a way to buy it myself and find a way to serve it without a bartender. Any ideas on how to serve alcohol at the wedding without it seeming trashy or BYOB? Thanks!

Re: Alcohol

• edited December 2011
    Do signature cocktails or just wine and beer. They can drastically cut costs, and you're still providing drinks for your guests. Or have an alcoholic punch or even just a champagne toast. HTH. 
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Put a couple of bottles of wine (or more, if you all drink more) on each table.  Have a large chest full of ice and beers by the other drinks.  There are wines for sale that are as little as $2-4/bottle.
  • edited December 2011
    I second the wine and beer option, thats our plan. Sangria also tends to be a inexpensive crowd pleaser, you can make a whole bunch of it yourself. People are there for you, not the booze, while its nice to host a bar, booze is beside the point in the grand scheme of things, nice as it is to have.

• edited December 2011
    Beer, Wine, and signature drink.   Go to Costco, BJs, or Sams for the beer.  I think some Costcos sell wine (not here in NYC though).  Do a very simple signature drink.  Maybe cranberry and vodka?  
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yep, beer, wine and a signature drink is what I'm doing as well.  We're doing flavored margaritas as our signature drink.  You can provide alcohol for your guests and not break the bank.
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beer, wine & a signature drink is the way to go.  To make it look more weddingy & less cook-outy use metal tubs for the beer bottles - no beer cans.  Buy the cheap, yet tasty wine & decant it.  Go with glass beverage dispensers for the signature drink.  HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions! I really appreciate it and now I have a few ideas I didn't have before!
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fully support the signature punch idea, as well as wine at each table.  It's legal, cost effective, and still very generous to the guests. 
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    Is there a trader joes store near you? they have really cheap wine, I have never tried it but my Mom says it doesnt taste bad/cheap for the price...I believe they are as low as $3 per bottle...I don't think it is necessary to have alcohol besides wine and beer thats what I am doing
  • edited December 2011
    Trader Joe's sells a wine called "three buck chuck." It's not the best wine in the world but it is not a bad table wine.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards