Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Are sheet cakes passe??

Hey everyone, my wedding is in 18 days and I decided to call and cancel my 3 tiered cake. I'm really praying that I made the smart move. 

Hubby and I are trying really hard to keep costs at a minimum right now and that cake was going to be just over $400! Personally, I think that's a lot of money to spend on a cake when our wedding will only be about 50 people! The servings will be too much and while I do want to have a cake, I can't imagine paying $300 for one and not eating it all. We're also having a fruit tray and a TON of traditionally Arab sweets, so half the people won't even touch the cake!

Here's my plan: Cancel the tiered cake (continue to have the Groom's cake which is shaped like the car that Hubby rebuilt when he was 22) and order a sheet cake from The Nugget grocery store. I've had them at engagement parties previously and was blown away by how great it tasted to the point where I  had an entire conversation with that bride about where she got it! I called and found out that for a sheet cake, decorated HOWEVER I want, that serve 80 people (far more than we need but whatever, people can take it home), the cost is only $59.99!!

Someone tell me I made the smart choice. I was super excited about a tiered cake but wasn't impressed with my baker after I had them make an engagement party cake (mind you, this is after I already gave them a deposit). Opinions ladies!! What do we think??!

Re: Are sheet cakes passe??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a great choice! It works for you, your budget, and was delicious. Couldn't be a bad thing :-)
  • Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like a great choice to me! With the groom's cake and other treats you will have more than enough.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Wonderful and smart choice!

We had a small tiered wedding cake and sheet cakes b/c that's what worked with our budget.  Sheet cakes taste the same as wedding cakes! No worries!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Down here one trend is to get a "faux" cake where only the top tier is edible. After you and the groom cut the cake, the venue will take it to the kitchen to "slice it," but really they are just slicing up sheet cake and then they bring out the slices and serve it. 

It saved me 200 dollars on my cake (fake cake and sheet cakes all ended up being 200, would have been 400 if every tier of the cake was real).

Since you've already put down the deposit, this might be a good idea if your baker is willing to go faux.  And you'll still get your pretty cake for the pictures!
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Definitely a good choice.  Most tiered wedding cakes come with sheet cakes anyways depending on the size of your wedding.  We had our 4-tier cake, and then a huge sheet cake. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FutureDondadaFutureDondada member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely a great idea. I have 175 guests and will have a small tiered cake for show and a Wegmans sheet cake for the majority of people.
    May 2011-December Siggy My favorite registry item.
    (I managed to shatter the glass in our coffee table so we have none!)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not at all.  If they're part of a gorgeous spread of other sweets, and they taste amazing, sounds like you made a smart choice :)
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." -Lester Banks, Almost Famous
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards