Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dry cocktail hour

We are planning a dry reception. We don't object to alcohol consumption, but we can't justify something cost-wise that neither of us will enjoy.  Is there an alternative to the cocktail hour?

Re: Dry cocktail hour

• You can have appetizers or hors d'oeurves for an hour before dinner.  I think it can be nice to give your guests some time to chat with others before more formal stuff starts, and you can take pictures during that time if you need to.  You can have some nice non-alcoholic drinks, like an Italian soda bar with different flavors of syrups.  If you're not serving alcohol, I would call it a social hour or just appetizers--cocktail hour means real cocktails, IMO.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:4fa44d22-8b55-4d87-8024-7a71aad0c401Post:eb743930-badf-4edd-8a76-50c1d5bc41a3">Dry cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning a dry reception. We don't object to alcohol consumption, but<strong> we can't justify something cost-wise that neither of us will enjoy</strong>.  Is there an alternative to the cocktail hour?
    Posted by stephanienjer[/QUOTE]

But your guests would probably enjoy it.  And you are hosting your guests.  I wouldn't eliminate alcohol solely because you and your FI don't enjoy it. 

Now, if it's just not in the budget, then that's fine.  You don't have to have a cocktail hour.  As the previous poster said, call it a social hour before the reception and serve non-alcoholic drinks and some apps.
  • It's not really cocktail hour if you aren't serving cocktails now is it? ... Agree with JoanE, you're hosting your guests and they would probably enjoy a drink.  While you two can enjoy your sodas.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dry-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:4fa44d22-8b55-4d87-8024-7a71aad0c401Post:d18cedf2-c9e6-4b31-909a-cf651fd72a9d">Re: Dry cocktail hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dry cocktail hour : But your guests would probably enjoy it.  And you are hosting your guests.  I wouldn't eliminate alcohol solely because you and your FI don't enjoy it.  Now, if it's just not in the budget, then that's fine.  You don't have to have a cocktail hour.  As the previous poster said, call it a social hour before the reception and serve non-alcoholic drinks and some apps.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

Ditto this... we didn't enjoy any of the alcoholic beverages at our wedding either. We may have had a sip or two of the champagne toast and the server kept brining us drinks but they got left on our sweetheart table since we were so busy. We knew this going into the wedding, but we still provided open bar for our guests as the reception is about our guests.

If it's not in the budget for an open bar, look into other alternatives such as beer and wine with a signature drink or just beer and wine for your guests. I know DH and I'd be pretty disappointed if we attended a wedding that was dry simply because the bride and groom didn't want to serve it since they couldn't enjoy it. What we look forward to the most at weddings is good food, good drinks, and dancing.

You could always have a keg or two of beer and then have a few bottles of white and red wines on each of the tables. It doesn't have to be expensive, as there are many ways of making sure the guests are well taken care of.
  • It is one thing if this is a budget issue, but if you are choosing not to serve alcohol because the two of you don't enjoy it, I'd encourage you to rethink that.  You are hosting your guests for the cocktail hour and reception so you plan according to what THEY will enjoy, not what your personal tastes are.  Like I said, a budget issue is one thing, but are you making this decision solely based on what  you and FI enjoy?
  • We aren't having a cocktail house... we are just opening the buffet straight after the ceremony (same location). The open bar will be open at that time as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards