Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Plated vs Buffet

2»

Re: Plated vs Buffet

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_plated-vs-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53d15acd-bbea-4c01-bfe5-f42dde2eef24Post:1f50247a-8c2a-401b-89cd-6b32ca4201e4">Re: Plated vs Buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, I'm a little confused about the 'more choices' thing.  I've never seen more than three entree options at a buffet, and I've never seen less than three plated options.  There's usually at least one main dish on a buffet that I don't want.  Maybe that's just my (somewhat limited) experience.  Are you guys saying that you would prefer to have a little bit of all three rather than be restricted to one meal, or that you usually see more variety (as in, more than three entrees) on a buffet?  I'm not trying to pick a fight, but it's been mentioned multiple times in the past and it's never made sense to me. When you throw in appetizers at cocktail hour, sides, and dessert, I just don't get the 'not enough options' part.  Even if the entree options were terrible, I usually eat enough at cocktail hour to constitute a full meal.  But I'm a pig like that I guess.
    Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

I also... don't make a habit of going out to dinner at buffets and neither do my friends. So I'm really confused as to why people LOVE buffets at weddings. You have 2-3 options of plated meals. It's kind of like a restaurant. I LIKE going to restaurants where they serve me a plate of food.

I also don't get the whole "small servings" argument. They'll give you enough to make a meal. It's not like you're going off to combat, you're at a wedding. You're there for 4-6 hours. Four ounces of meat, a side vegetable, maybe some potatoes? You'll be fine.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH wanted buffet also.  He felt a plated dinner was too formal and "stuffy."  I think he pictured people mingling, getting drinks when they wanted, chatting, etc.  Which is what happened.  In his mind, with a plated dinner everyone would be tied to their tables, they wouldn't feel free to move around, etc.

If it hadn't been more money, I might have tried to argue.  But in the end, I'm glad I couldn't because it was one of the few things he envisioned for his wedding and it turned out just fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stephie, that's why my FI wants a buffet, too (and I'm in favor of it in part for this factor, especially since we're having a daytime reception).  He also wanted unassigned tables to encourage mingling, which we have already decided not to do, so I think the buffet is a good compromise in terms of getting people out of their seats, but still having some structure.  Glad to hear you were happy with how it worked out for you!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_plated-vs-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:53d15acd-bbea-4c01-bfe5-f42dde2eef24Post:3bb6cd77-ad5a-480b-a0fa-677b5168b284">Re: Plated vs Buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stephie, that's why my FI wants a buffet, too (and I'm in favor of it in part for this factor, especially since we're having a daytime reception).  He also wanted unassigned tables to encourage mingling, which we have already decided not to do, so I think the buffet is a good compromise in terms of getting people out of their seats, but still having some structure.  Glad to hear you were happy with how it worked out for you!
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did assigned tables also--so I still got some formality and he got his buffet.  :)  Honestly it worked fine and we had no complaints.
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I just want to point out that if anyone was unhappy with the buffet arrangement (or with anything), they most likely wouldn't complain to the bride and groom.... so I think it's a little funny when brides say, "we had no complaints."

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_plated-vs-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:53d15acd-bbea-4c01-bfe5-f42dde2eef24Post:4f6e5256-219c-4eff-890e-ea42c0ada15d">Re: Plated vs Buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plated vs Buffet : I also... don't make a habit of going out to dinner at buffets and neither do my friends. So I'm really confused as to why people LOVE buffets at weddings. You have 2-3 options of plated meals. It's kind of like a restaurant. I LIKE going to restaurants where they serve me a plate of food. I also don't get the whole "small servings" argument. They'll give you enough to make a meal. It's not like you're going off to combat, you're at a wedding. You're there for 4-6 hours. Four ounces of meat, a side vegetable, maybe some potatoes? You'll be fine.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel.  I mean, people have buffets at weddings and I won't turn my nose up at it, but I don't get the LOVE for buffets.  And I agree with SimplyFated about the 'no complaints' logic - that is what I think every time I see someone write stuff like that.  Like, "My wedding was outside in 100-degree heat and we didn't have complaints."  Wellllll o-kay then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    dees14dees14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wonder what his reasons were for wanting a buffet. It's usually cheaper than a plated meal, so that makes the plated meal a much better deal. However, keep in mind that this is the one thing you let him decide and you are critiquing it. It's almost like you're not really letting him have his one thing to decide. I hope that doesn't sound rude, but I just wanted to point that out as well; how important is buffet vs. plated to you? If it's really important, maybe you shouldn't have let that be his choice? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    dees--the OP already answered this question in this thread.  And we've talked about how plated versus buffet affects the feeling of the reception, so it's not an isolated decision.  But I agree with you on choosing your battles when you have conflicting opinions throughout wedding planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards