Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Southern BBQ Menu--ok?

Ok so our VR is over Fourth of July weekend at my dad's house, so we're doing BBQ style food. It's just 30 people and they're all our family/close friends so no real food complainers! We're cutting a small cake that my friend's mom is making us, then freezing another small cake (and when I say small, I mean a 6-inch round cake!), and we wanted pies anyway because neither of us our real big cake eaters.

I'm debating between doing traditional potato salad (cold) or a rosemary/garlic potato and green bean salad (warm). I'm also debating on doing macaroni salad (cold) or baked macaroni (warm).

Here's the menu so far, let me know if anything is unneccesary or need something else:

Beverages:

• Sweet tea
  • Lemonade
  • Water
  • Yuengling draft

Sides:

• Potato salad
  • Macaroni salad
  • Corn bread muffins
  • Buttermilk biscuits
  • Grean beans & carrots (warm)
  • Baked beans (warm)
  • Deviled eggs
  • Creamed corn casserole (warm)

Entrees:

• Chicken on the spit
  • Roast pig

Dessert:

• Apple pie
  • Pumpkin pie
  • Blueberry pie
  • Pecan pie
  • Cherry pie

Re: Southern BBQ Menu--ok?

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds like a wonderful meal. I love the choices and I would love to try them all too!
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in! What time? I love the choices!
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds wonderful!  I'd need two plates.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'll take some to-go please!

On that note, I think it's more customary to have warm salads in the south. At least that's what i've found.

Growing up in Idaho all of our salads were cold, and moving here with FI family all they make are casseroles and warm salads!

I'm assuming cream corn casserole is like sweet corn casserole - to-die-for.
  • edited December 2011
    Ooo - it is not customary to have warm salads in Georgia - that's for sure.  BUT...be careful with COLD salads in the Summer! Keep them iced or indoors/iced!
  • edited December 2011
    It's a small reception with 30-40 people in the backyard, so when everyone's done, we can just throw all the food back inside!
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I vote cold salad..

And, your menu looks delicious!! Can I come?? ;)

Have a great time!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds very yummy!
    From someone who is serving BBQ, and southern sides as well (home made sweet potatoes, and friend green tomatoes)... I would go with the traditional potato salad, and baked macoroni.
  • Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks amazing - excellent choices. Being from the north, I don't know about the warm potato dish, so I'd pick the cold potato salad but the warm macaroni dish.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards