Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What flavor of cake would you pick?

If you were at a wedding and they were serving carrot cake with cream cheese filling, chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling, or champagne with raspberry filling...which would you pick?

I'm trying to figure out the order of my tiers.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What flavor of cake would you pick?

• jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    all of them :p

i think i would eat thev chocolate first.
  • edited December 2011
    Those flavors don't appeal to me personally, it is of course your favorites that you should choose.

I will say that we've done a ton of cake testing this weekend for ours, and chocolate chocolate was VERY rich so I don't think it'd need a huge tier, at least for my wedding party. Carrot cake is also pretty rich, and i'm not familiar with the latter.

Over the weekend we had out family all test out the flavors and their consensus was generally

1-lemon/french vanilla, 2-raspberry/french vanilla 3-bavarian/french vanilla.
    and
    1chocolate bavarian 2-red velvet 3-chocolate/chocolate

That said, I think they preferred the more unique flavors to the plain regulars.

Just ask around in your wedding party/invitees what they'd think - they'll be eating it afterall. That's what I did at least and I got a pretty informed answer haha.
  • edited December 2011
    Champagne is like a white cake, only better. We tried 12 different cakes this weekend and 8 different fillings and those are the three my fiance and our parents chose, so at least I know 6 people will like it haha.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah we did the same. Our cake lady gave us 8 HUGE samples, so we turned it into a party yesterday and got all the aunts, grandmas, to try it so if anyone else doesn't like it oh well too bad.

Just do what you guys like!
  • edited December 2011
    I would probably go for the chocolate first, and then the carrot cake if there were extra... if there were still extra, I'd eat the champange too :)

I LOVE cake!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a toss up between the chocolate and the champagne. I would probably pick one and have FI pick the other so we could have both :)

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go for the chocolate out of pure blind loyalty to the flavor, even though I love carrot cake.  But I would probably take at least a sliver of champagne, too, out of curiosity to see what it tastes like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • acwmacwm member
    edited December 2011
    I can take or leave chocolate, so I'd probably pick the champagne flavor first. They all sound great, though! I think they're fairly universally appreciated flavors-- you'll like at least one of those options.
    Photobucket
  • TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carrot cake, followed by champagne cake, I guess...I've never tried champagne cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

The best wedding cake I ever tasted was champagne so that is what I picked.  I was very disappointed my cake vendor didn't offer it.  Chocolate would be a close second.

• jazzybaccjazzybacc member
    edited December 2011
    Tough choice.  Depends on what time of the year I guess.  I'm an autumn bride, so I chose carrot cake.  I've never had champagne but it sounds delicious.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the champagne by process of elimination. I love carrot cake but HATE anything with cream cheese in it. I'm also not a fan of chocolate, so I wouldn't pick that either.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The champagne cake sounds delicious, but you lost me at raspberry filling. I am always so disappointed when cakes have fruit fillings, I have to pick around it and I can't stand carrot cake either. But the chocolate with fudge filling sounds delicious!
  • edited December 2011
    I think the champagne with raspberry filling would be best since it's the closest to plain white cake which is universally liked, plus it sounds delicious :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Its a tie between chocolate and caroot cake.
  • valigrl21valigrl21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They all sound great!
    BFP #3 9/24/12, Missed m/c at 9w1d (baby measured 8w5d)
    BFP #2 9/23/10, healthy baby girl born natural 6/6/11
    BFP #1 5/21/10, Missed m/c at 10w4d (baby measured 8wks), D&C 6/29/10
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Life is like a camera. Just focus on what?s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don?t work out, just take another shot."
  • edited December 2011
    Chocolate all the way. I hate fruit fillings. 
    She's always wanted to be a princess and he's always wanted to be a hero; as fate would now have it, she is his princess and he is her hero *Semper Fi* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't go with carrot cake, it just seems odd for wedding cake, IMO.  I would choose the champagne or chocolate, but with the fudge part it might be a little too rich.  We are having 3 tiers, one chocolate swirl with raspberry cream filling (not too much chocolate), one champagne with bavarian filling, and the top red velvet with cream cheese filling.  I'm so excited to try it!!!
  • Secretgurl9Secretgurl9 member
    edited December 2011
    I chose chocolate, but I'm a chocoholic. The carrot cake is a close second. I don't think I've ever had champagne cake.....but I don't like rasberries. 
  • edited December 2011

I would love ALL of them! The wedding I was at last night had a vanilla mint cake! OMG was it good!! Who cares about the order, just make sure whichever is the favorite is the BIGGEST TIER!!! YUMMM!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beccax13beccax13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at your poll! It's already in the perfect tierred shape! :)
  • AmynutritionAmynutrition member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They all sound good but LOOOOOOVE cake. I go for carrot cake whenever it is on the menu because it is more 'rare' than chocolate. But champagne cake sounds amazing too, this is hard!!

You won't make everyone happy so get what you and your husband like!
    June 2012 Brides

Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    They all sound FAB!!!!!!!!!!!! GODD LUCK!!
  • nontradduonontradduo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_flavor-of-cake-would-pick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:64450536-67e9-4a29-aca0-0dff0eaa3baaPost:b1260c63-4d6b-4c18-8a1a-2ce785d54898">Re: What flavor of cake would you pick?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the champagne with raspberry filling would be best since it's the closest to plain white cake which is universally liked, plus it sounds delicious :)
    Posted by ajroark[/QUOTE]

Plain white cake is <strong>not</strong> <strong><em>universally</em></strong> liked.  There are any number of people out there who dislike white cake, including the champagne version.  My sister is a pastry chef, she makes wedding cakes all the time and believe me she finds plenty of people who aren't interested in it.  I really don't like either; I think the only cake I like less is yellow cake.

But I digress...
    Like most things, cake flavor preference is wide and varied.
    My advice to any bride struggling to make up her mind is to choose what those closest to her, including herself and the groom, like best.   Guests don't have to eat it if they don't like the flavor(s) available. It's nice to try to please everyone, but that's pretty near impossible.
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • mbrischouxmbrischoux member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I decided to go with carrot cake, since both of us love it and the majority of our guests love it, too.  It's also unusual, which is nice for our guests.  I'm used to it out of the good ole Betty Crocker box, but if you check out some different bakeries, you'll find one that works best for you.

Good luck!
  • sallyanne7sallyanne7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Champagne cake sounds delicious, but I think it tastes kind of bland. That's just me though! FI and I are doing pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling; that's why I voted for carrot. It also depends on the season. We're having a fall wedding, whereas the fruitier raspberry filling suits summer better, I think. Chocolate is a universal favorite and is good all year round.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A lot of carrot cake has walnuts in it. Check to see if any of your guests have an allergy if you go with this. I'm not saying "don't chose this if they do!", just be aware of the issue so you might be able to arrange something for them and/or warn them before they take a bite. Some carrot cakes look more like spice cake until you take a bite (finer chopped carrots, walnuts hidden inside, etc).

Tha safest seems to be chocolate since a lot of people know it already and like it. Champagne with raspberry would be interesting, I think!
  • edited December 2011
    very tough decision! i picked chocolate in the vote but it would really be a toss between that and the carrot cake...mmmm

btw never actually thought of carrot for a wedding cake flavor - very creative!
  • edited December 2011
    also just as a side note if anyone wants to steal an idea, my FI and i are doing the smallest tier a sugar-free cake, since we have a significant amount of diabetic guests. my mom is going to make us our anniversary cake :)
  • edited December 2011
    My baker warned me that chocolate is among the most moist cakes so if there is too much weight on top it will collapse. She absolutely refuses to put chocolate cake as the bottom teir because she's had it happen so many times.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards