Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Tastings

Besides discussing the flavors, tiers, shape and design are there any other questions I should ask or be prepared for when we go to our cake tastings??
TIA
My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
Our Wedding Teasers
imageWedding Countdown Ticker
243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cake Tastings

• anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *Fees for delivery & set-up,

*whether they have a cake stand you can use & the cost,

*whether they have your date available
  • aubreyaliseaubreyalise member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    as mentioned above, the cake stand one is important. my cake lady will rent me a cake stand for $50/day but i'm responsible for returning it to her the following day by noon. i'm pretty sure that's the last thing i want to be thinking about the morning after the wedding, so we're just going to buy our own. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

What your options are for changing the design and guest count after you've booked.  For example, you may find your guest list going from 250 to 165..  Will they redo the quote for you for the final count or are you stuck with the original price... 

When are the deadlines for changes and what their payment schedule is. 

Delivery/setup... 

Rentals...

Remember that it's a negotiation process, you may get a super expensive quote back for your overly elaborate first design, but work with them to pull off the key elements of the design that would fit within your budget.

Remember, you aren't going to go to a restaurant and get a $1.50 slice of delish cake (which btw: even Walmart is more expensive than that!), be realistic with your budgeting process  

Discuss portion sizes...  If you're discussing the same cake design with two bakers with the same price per slice and one has a 1x1x4 portion size and another has a 1x2x4-5 portion size, that's a big difference in the amount you AND YOUR GUESTS are getting for the money. 

• edited December 2011

Wow these are GREAT - thank you ALL.

My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also ask for additional fees for filling and icing tint!  Our baker charges $9 per tier for filing (otherwise its traditional icing between layers)  And some of the cakes are tinted ivory, blue, pink, etc.  Make sure to see if they charge anything extra!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 99 Invited!
    image 45 Are Psyched!
    image 5 Are L0$3RZ
    image 49 Are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    have you asked your cater if they have a cake stand, a lot of the time they do - or the site where you are getting married.
  • edited December 2011
    When I talk to my brides about getting married I ask them:
    Where the Reception is, what time I like to deliver, if it works for them, what they have in mind for design, what i was thinking for size depending on projected guest count, what color they want the board the cake is sitting on, ribbon around it, if they are keeping the top tier(and how to wrap it if they are).  Once they decide to book or not I have them pay half up front and the other half is not due until 3 weeks before the wedding.  this allows them to make any changes they need to in the time period.  I ask about flowers and toppers, flavors, fillings - keep in mind YOU are the Client and without you we don't have a job!  If you have a funky request say it and stick to it, it is your day and you should get what you want!

Good luck and if you have any quesiton you can email me! jen@mycakeworld.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards