Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

cake or dessert?

Im trying to decide to have cake or desserts.
The cake would be a 7 tier cake with several different yummy flavors.
OR
Have a smaller cake, with a dessert buffet filled with cheesecakes, cake/mousse solitairs, fruit tarts, flourless tortes, canolis, eclairs....

if you were going to a wedding...which would you prefer???

Re: cake or dessert?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love wedding cake.  So I would probably prefer that... but either choice would be perfectly fine.  As long as you have a sweet treat after dinner for your guests, then you're A-OK. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm the person whose favorite part of the wedding reception is the cake.  I'm always severely disappointed when the B&G opt for a desert bar instead.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow - 7 tiers?! How many guests are you having?

I prefer cake, but that's just me.  We are having cupcakes though to save money from having to pay $1.50 pp for a "cake serving fee" from our caterer.
  • Options
    amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am the type of guest who drinks her dessert, so my slice of cake gets thrown away.  So I think whichever you want is fine.  We did cupcakes at our reception at our DW and then dessert trays at the 3 AHRs afterwards.

• Options
    jenajjthrjenajjthr member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Wedding cake is just cake in my opinion.  If you do a dessert bar with some cake as an option I say go for it.  I prefer the option that a dessert bar offers. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im a cake decorater, so 7 tiers cuz its awesome! and i would have cake as an option on the dessert buffet!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I LOVE cake but I don't eat many other desserts so I'd choose the cake!

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd choose the cake!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    One of the wonderful things in our marriage is that my DH doesn't care for cake.  What does that mean for me?  I get to eat his piece of wedding cake too!

Anyone who knows me, knows that a GOOD cake is my favorite food group.  In the end though, if you provide a nice dessert offering at your wedding that was chosen with your guests in mind (and it's not cake) you have been a gracious host/hostess.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could do a smaller cake in addition to a dessert buffet.  That's what we're doing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow thats alot of cake...
    We are haveing a cake and a dessert table with fresh fruit tarts and assorted chocolates....I love sweet stuff
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PastryChef10PastryChef10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Why not opt for a smaller cake and do the dessert bar surrounding the cake..

That way you get different flavours and everyone is happy!

Or I'd hate to give you this option but what about doing the 7 tier cake but have some faux layers-- That way you get your 7 tier cake but also the other desserts too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards