Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Gluten Free Nightmare

Why is it so hard to find a caterer that will do a gauranteed gluten free menue? Is it REALLY that hard for them to prepare my entire menue selection in a seperate area free from it? Esepcially when I'll be paying up to $40 a plate? WHYYY? I really don't want to make my own food. I want to be able to enjoy the day... without puking. I can go to McDonalds and have my wishes accomedated and yet I can't get a caterer to completely agree. Frustrating. Any advice?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Gluten Free Nightmare

• Options
    redheadtmkredheadtmk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having the entire reception gluten free because you are gluten intolerant? I dont understand what the problem is. There are a million gluten free meals and appetizers that can easily be made. Just dont have any pasta or bread etc. There is no need for it to prepared in a seperate area if they clean/sterilize all cooking/prep areas. If you plan on having a gluten free reception and substituting rice or tapioca flour pasta and breads etc keep in mind that not everyone likes those things. I have several gluten intolerant friends and I find the rice noodles disgusting and the bread is not gross but not tasty either. Your reception is a thank you to your guests so the food should be for them with the caterer making special plates for those with issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Duds is right, how many people have to have gluten free? I know my cousin just had her engagement party and her FSIL has to have gluten free. They had the buffet catered and what they did was have one of the main dishes gluten free (it was chicken francaise) and then of course there was the typical tossed salad that she could eat and a few other side dishes (like the veggie platters) that she could eat. It was plenty of a spread for her and the rest of us enjoyed the meal as well.
    I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked for a gluten free caterer?

Gluttons are hidden in a lot of foods. Not all chefs have the knowledge to know what does and does not.  Not only that a lot of caterers specialize in certain foods.  They might not know how or want to risk cooking outside their comfort zone by providing a gluten free menu.  If they are not use to cooking without gluten they would have to do some trial and error cooking and that might wipe away any profit they would get from your event.

The only thing you can do it keep looking for a gluten free caterer.   Maybe try and come up with menu ideas yourself and find a caterer who will cook your recipes?

My DH is a chef for a major hotel chain and would not have a problem creating a gluten free menu.  He does not like to say 'no' to guests and does a lot of research to accommodate them.  He is the exception to the rule not the norm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Renew2Renew2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a small reception (less than 30) so I didn't think it would be entirely unreasonable to do a complete gluten free menue and have it prepared seperatly from other food. My main issue is with cross contamination (I'm having a major flare up currently because of that). I felt that if we kept the menue "clean" that it wouldn't be an issue. Like lamb with a salad, veggie platter, rice etc. I guess I expected to have issues with the cake but not with a caterer.

Perhaps it's the chefs not knowing that is causing this issue? Should I make an outline of what I want and how to prepare it sans gluten? I really don't mind paying extra to not have a flare up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Duds, you need to find the right caterer. 

If I am a regular caterer there is no way in hell I am guaranteeing a gluten free menu because if even one guest gets slightly sick I would be exposed to legal liability.  At the very most, I'd agree to prepare a menu chosen by the bride that happens to be gluten-free and say that I make no guarantees that the entire menu is free from exposure to gluten.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:76e6b8c3-fb14-48ea-886c-378389a1ebbcPost:04d6f815-cad1-4c73-9964-2156672aa203">Re: Gluten Free Nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Duds, you need to find the right caterer.  If I am a regular caterer there is no way in hell I am guaranteeing a gluten free menu because if even one guest gets slightly sick I would be exposed to legal liability.  At the very most, I'd agree to prepare a menu chosen by the bride that happens to be gluten-free and say that I make no guarantees that the entire menu is free from exposure to gluten.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed 100%</div>
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    edited December 2011
    It seems to me a gluten menu is not the issue. It's the 'clean' kitchen.  I completely understand your concern, I also understand why it's harder to find.    Some companies just not want to put in the time needed  or the risk  for a 30 person wedding. 

As I said earlier my husband has not an issue creating a gluten menu.   Guaranteeing it's cooked in a gluten free zone would not be possible.   You are talking about new pots, pans, cutting boards, utensils in a kitchen that more than likely is preparing foods for other events at the same time.    Most kitchens are not large enough to have such zones.

That is why you need to really find a gluten free caterer. Like a Kosher kitchen you would not have to worry about cross contamination.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Renew2Renew2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I just don't understand why my food can't be prepared seperatly from some other event's food. I think I may just have to find a caterer who is willing to use the kitchen at the location.

Duds, I was only recently diagnosed so it's taken some adjusting. So many things have gluten in them but a lot of things do not as well. I'm not so much worried about the food itself because only minor tweeks would have to be made to recipes. But I see your point about trial and error and it costing a lot for that to happen.

In such a small area it's not really possible to find a completely "gluten free" caterer. Gotta work with what I've got. Hopefully I will find one soon that already has gluten free items and will agree to prepare them seperatly. If not, looks like I'm the chef.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:76e6b8c3-fb14-48ea-886c-378389a1ebbcPost:1e38bd26-3d51-4283-aecb-aa6bb275505d">Re: Gluten Free Nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the replies. <strong>I guess I just don't understand why my food can't be prepared seperatly from some other event's food.</strong> I think I may just have to find a caterer who is willing to use the kitchen at the location. Duds, I was only recently diagnosed so it's taken some adjusting. So many things have gluten in them but a lot of things do not as well. I'm not so much worried about the food itself because only minor tweeks would have to be made to recipes. But I see your point about trial and error and it costing a lot for that to happen. In such a small area it's not really possible to find a completely "gluten free" caterer. Gotta work with what I've got. Hopefully I will find one soon that already has gluten free items and will agree to prepare them seperatly. If not, looks like I'm the chef.
    Posted by Renew2[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you been in an industrial kitchen before?   Some are huge with different areas.  Some are very small.  </div><div>
    </div><div> Some places are prepping and cooking for more than one event at a time.  Sometimes it's because they have another event that same day.  Other times it's because the food needs time to set/marinade/slow-cook, etc.  So they need to prep  a day or so ahead and the same time cooking food for the current day's events.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.  How do you go out to dinner?  Or do you not?  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>

• Options
    Renew2Renew2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:76e6b8c3-fb14-48ea-886c-378389a1ebbcPost:0a5f35a4-0b7e-4380-bfb4-4bd19c239da4">Re: Gluten Free Nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gluten Free Nightmare : Have you been in an industrial kitchen before?   Some are huge with different areas.  Some are very small.    Some places are prepping and cooking for more than one event at a time.  Sometimes it's because they have another event that same day.  Other times it's because the food needs time to set/marinade/slow-cook, etc.  So they need to prep  a day or so ahead and the same time cooking food for the current day's events. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.  How do you go out to dinner?  Or do you not?  
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can understand that :(

We normally don't go out. There's a Thai place we go to regularly who knows my situation and she's careful  not to cross contaminate. I'd love to have her cater because she caters but not everyone likes Thai food.. in fact I know a few of my guests hate it. The only other times we've gone out it has been to resturants a few hours from here who have gluten free menues.
  • Options
    Renew2Renew2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:76e6b8c3-fb14-48ea-886c-378389a1ebbcPost:c2afbd8b-a093-4251-8969-5ee88c271464">Re: Gluten Free Nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]Keep in mind that one of the issues might be pots and pans.  Some of us with celiac need food to be cooked on a completely different pan that has never been used for a food with gluten and completely different utensils. (I'm thankfully not that severe) Maybe you could ask the caterer exactly what it is you need (i.e. a clean surface area, but not clean pans).  Have you visited <a href="http://www.celiac.org?" rel="nofollow">www.celiac.org?</a> They have message boards that are very helpful especially when you're first learning how to cope/manage it.  There also might be people from your area who know of gf caterers.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I will check that site out. I'm not so severe I need new pans, just clean ones/ surface in a seperate preparing area (could even be just a different counter).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I see you're also in NorCal - a litigation-happy part of the country. If you insist on a completely gluten-free kitchen, the way the OP worded things, only a kitchen that's never had any gluten could really meet that. If all you need is food prepared in a clean kitchen without gluten ingredients, come up with a menu that doesn't include gluten, and then ask if they can do that, then mention your intolerance.

My mother isn't gluten-intolerant; she has a wheat allergy (and onions and celery and chocolate and rye and oats...). We want roast or broiled chicken, potatoes/rice, and asparagus - an easy enough meal to make in-budget without adding grain ingredients. We might insist on a contract provision along the lines of "No wheat, rye, oat, onion, celery, or chocolate ingredients will be used. All food will be prepared in a kitchen that meets the usual standards of cleanliness for commercial kitchens." If instead we wanted something like breaded tilapia, and had to teach a caterer about wheat-free options, we'd expect a much trickier caterer search.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you might have answered your own question: rather than a catering company, try looking for a restaurant that offers a GF menu and caters. I just went through the same thing because my sister has CD and I'm getting tested for it, and I had to find several restaurants at which she could eat during my DW. You should have an easier time with that given the size of your guest list. Good luck!!
  • Options
    annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unsure of what's around you, I know several restaurant chains are coming out with GF menus.  Outback Steakhouse is one of them, the rest are completely slipping my mind.

I wish you luck in your search!  I know how hard it is for my CD/GF friend who has it so severe she has her own set of pots/pan/plates, etc.  But she manages it and I know you will too once you are able to adjust!  Best wishes :)
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why dont you go with meat and vegetables? Or fish and vegetables? Both gluten free as long as theyre not breaded.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And just an addition, be happy that your not allergic to protein like me lol! Try that one on for size!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Renew2Renew2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_gluten-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:76e6b8c3-fb14-48ea-886c-378389a1ebbcPost:4c7a630e-8731-473d-9eec-d11616c527f7">Re: Gluten Free Nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why dont you go with meat and vegetables? Or fish and vegetables? Both gluten free as long as theyre not breaded.
    Posted by Mae0606[/QUOTE]

The food itself is not the issue. It's the preperation and cross contamination. Many people put gluten in their food and don't know it. Like malt flavoring. Or, for example, one caterer suggested sausage stuffed mushrooms but the sausage she normally uses has gluten in it.

Luckily I did find a caterer who said she was willing to work with me! Took several phone calls, and some false leads but we'll be finalizing the menu this week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards