Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

My Eats...should I add anything?

We are on a very, super, low budget(and I refuse to do sub sandwhiches lol), and I got this idea from offline somewhere. And added the Romanain Salad myself. What do you think?
I could add punch, but I don't like it myself, and I don't think it really fits with the informal food anyways.

Reception Food and Drink:

Main Foods: Pasta Salad, Potato Salad, Romanian Salad(which is mixed veggies with lemon juice dressing), Fruit Salad,

Table Food: Kisses  

Drinks:
Lemonade with lemons
Limeade with limes
Water
Coffee

Re: My Eats...should I add anything?

• znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I forgot to add, of course we are having cake. \
  • What time of day is the reception? That's a lot of salads! 
  • I think it would be alright for a non-meal reception, but if the reception is over a meal time, you need more food.  People would be looking for an entree.  What's wrong with sandwiches?  Could you get a nice grocery store in your area to prepare platters of sandwiches, so it's not "just subs."

I don't think you need the punch, with the lemonade and limeade, but if your crowd drinks soda, you might see if you can add a couple of sodas (at least one diet/one regular, although I think ideally it would be diet coke/coke/sprite, or somethign like that).
  • What time is your wedding?  I'm not quite understanding serving nothing but salads.
  • cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    For a 2pm wedding that would be great, but at mealtime people are going to expect something heartier.
  • I don't understand.  Aren't those all sides?  I can't see anyone eating just potato salad.  Or pasta salad.  Or Romanian salad.  Just feels like something is missing.
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    It looks like something is missing, if your wedding is in the middle of the afternoon, cut the salads entirely.  There is nothing wrong with cake and punch.  If it's over a meal time, the salads are fine, but you need something as a main dish.  
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    As PPs have said, I don't get it.  If you are having a 2P wedding with a cake and lemonade reception and want to add a little more substantial food, then I would substitute a cheese and cracker platter along with a veggie/dip platter for those salads.  The salads don't make sense.

If you are having your wedding at any other time of day, then you need to serve a meal.
  • Are you trying to avoid warm things altogether because of the logistics of keeping it heated?  In that case, I do understand why you'd offer sides like this--they are, after all, filling and cheap.   But you might be able to try other filling "snacky" things like hummus, cheese platters, crackers, to accompany the romanian salad and pasta salad at non-meal time to make it more like an hors d'oeuvres style wedding?

If you're hell bent on the current menu and it's a meal time, I'd also add some pulled BBQ pork shoulder (you can cook a ton of it in a slow cooker) and rolls so folks can make sandwiches. 
  • znd13znd13 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I am having a 1 o'clock wedding, so the reception will be around 2ish. It's just that I wanted more of a formal affair, but we just don't have the money.
    Looks like I will just have to do cake and punch. But know that I think about it more, I am actually starting to like the idea of a smaller repection....a lot less stress and my friends won't have to worry about making anything or getting anything ready.
    Thanks all, you have helped alot ! :-D
  • Either add an entree or just do cake and punch. Potato and pasta salad are sides and as a guest I would be expecting some type of meat or sandwich with this type of sides. Fresh fruit, cake, desserts and punch seems like it would work nicely for you since your reception is not at a meal period.
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    If you just want a cake and punch reception, move your ceremony to 2P or 230P.  1PM is still lunchtime, and people need to get ready, drive to your location, find parking, and arrive 15-20 minutes before the ceremony, so they don't have time to eat lunch.  I would expect lunch at a 1PM ceremony.
  • Peavy - I'm the same way, but I've never attended a wedding without a meal regardless of the time of day.    But I know that is  not always the case.

OP - if you want to class it up a little add a cheese and veggie tray.  Maybe some dips like hummus, spinach with some pita bread.  You can get those for cheap at places like Sam's.

Also you can make subs look really good.  It's all about the display.   Get some baskets to put the rolls in.  Get some cheap platters and small bowls for condiments from the dollar store.  Take some boxes and put them under a tablecloth to create different heights.  A plate stand can hold plates of tomatoes, lettuce, etc.    Cake stands can give you height also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Cortney1982Cortney1982 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    All of those salads seem odd.  I would be looking for where the main dish was.  Even at a 1pm ceremony, I would expect lunch.  Push it to 2pm.  Just have the cake and punch.  Maybe even include a veggie tray, fruit tray, and cheese and cracker tray.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards