Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert Served and Then Cake?

Hi all,

We are having our reception at a restaurant.  The dinner option that we have chosen includes dessert, and we will also be having a cake.  I am wondering if anyone thinks that dessert served by the restaurant and then cake is overkill?  Will the cake get wasted?  I have thought of two possible solutions and would like some input.  I could either ask the restaurant to cut out the dessert portion and perhaps reduce the cost and serve only cake as dessert.  Or, have the dessert but only get a small cake (not enough to feed everybody) since most people will not want cake after dessert.  The cake would then mainly just be for the cake-cutting.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!

Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?

• edited December 2011
    We had a three course meal which normally came with dessert, but asked if they could simply add another course (soup) rather than doing dessert, since we had a full cake. Another option would be to get individual boxes and let people take a slice of cake home in lieu of a favor.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • tiggy5555tiggy5555 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just went to a wedding where they served dessert then cake and most people didn't eat the cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image139 Were invited to paradise!
    image 39 Are ready to party!
    image 100 Are stuck on the mainland!
    image 0 Need to check their mail!
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually dessert is served right after the meal and then cake would be served a couple hours later. But if your timeline has them crammed together it would be overkill.
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:f916bd69-c013-4ce1-90fd-b26277afd5a6">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Usually dessert is served right after the meal and then cake would be served a couple hours later. But if your timeline has them crammed together it would be overkill.
    Posted by cmp1986[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. <div>
    </div><div>My venue has a dessert buffet and I am planning on bringing in cake. Thankfully, my venue said I could swap out the dessert buffet for appetizers; would something like this be an option for you?</div>

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    I am biased because I don't have a very big sweet tooth, but I would much rather see the dessert be swapped out for appetizers, soup, a salad, or some other savory course.  And then I'd eat your cake. =) 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:3c7af0dc-a0b5-44a0-9473-90655cff4a05">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am biased because I don't have a very big sweet tooth, but I would much rather see the dessert be swapped out for appetizers, soup, a salad, or some other savory course.  And then I'd eat your cake. =) 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

This, exactly!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:b5c7b016-a914-4ede-9e9c-f95b118d7440">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a three course meal which normally came with dessert, but asked if they could simply add another course (soup) rather than doing dessert, since we had a full cake. Another option would be to get individual boxes and let people take a slice of cake home in lieu of a favor.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:f916bd69-c013-4ce1-90fd-b26277afd5a6">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Usually dessert is served right after the meal and then cake would be served a couple hours later. But if your timeline has them crammed together it would be overkill.
    Posted by cmp1986[/QUOTE]

This is how I have always seen it done as well.

We are having dessert with the meal and then later in the evening we are having more food and a dessert buffet with our cake as well. Maybe everyone I know just likes to eat a lot.
  • maureen521maureen521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our reception offers ice cream as a dessert option, so we're serving that with the cake, at the same time.  Do they let you choose your dessert at your venue?  We could have chosen other things, like cheesecake, but we figured that would be a waste since we're already giving them cake.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP right above me - our dinner option included a dessert as well but our coordinator at the venue (who is FABULOUS) said that in lieu of the regular plated dessert options she would just do ice cream with our cake which is PERFECT since ice cream is like a food group for me. That would be a great way to still get your money's worth of dinner options without filling people up with extra desserts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We had the same question... we are putting a cake on every table, so guests will have access to cake the whole time... no need for extra deserts really.  So the reception site said that if I don't want the deserts it would equal out to $3 per person that we could put towards anything else.  We thought about using it to have an appetizer table, but ended up going with a chocolate fountain!  (I know... still dessert, but SOO much better!)  Now instead of an extra $5 a person for the fountain, it's only $2.  :)

I bet if you ask your caterer they would be happy to switch it with something else.  :)
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our meal included dessert too, and since we didn't have a dance, the wedding cake would have been served within 30  minutes of the end of the meal.  So..... instead of a wedding cake we had cupcakes which we boxed up for our guests to take home with them and eat later when they wanted. Some did eat them then and there, but most just took them home.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • edited December 2011
    Our package comes with the meal and then dessert and a late night snack...We're offering cake and cheesecake when dessert is served.  The guests will have the option of one or the other.  Later in the evening, we'll be having the left over cake and cheesecake out with the late night snack.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:dc0cf06c-dcc7-49be-9532-c2d79720bd37">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just went to a wedding where they served dessert then cake and most people didn't eat the cake.
    Posted by tiggy85[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  I'd either skip dessert & try and get a discount for it like you said, or just have a small cake for cutting purposes.

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have a huge sweet tooth, so I always end up having dessert AND cake at weddings, but that's me.

That said, just a thought on ice cream:  lactose intolerance is no fun...  Cake, you can take meds and be okay but ice cream is way too touchy even medicating...

My first choice venue provides the catering as well and our preferred package has a buffet but the dessert is brownies, fruit and little squares, so my plan is to ask for those to be moved to the cocktail hour (it's a 'tea hour' for our theme) and just serve our cupcakes instead, or reduce the number of sweets for something else in exchange.
  • m&eguntonm&egunton member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And if the venue won't change out the dessert you could have the dessert be pie or cheescake and allow your guests to choose what they might prefer, this ought to also cut down on the size of cake you would need as not everyone likes cake.  Hopefully it will save you money as well!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dessert-served-then-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:81283c6b-00c2-46c5-af07-81df9c1743caPost:10da4d4e-3c18-4d06-a1d4-6b9f86a25d96">Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dessert Served and Then Cake? : This is how I have always seen it done as well. We are having dessert with the meal and then later in the evening we are having more food and a dessert buffet with our cake as well. Maybe everyone I know just likes to eat a lot.
    Posted by blush64[/QUOTE]

<div>oooh, can I come? Sounds delicious! lol</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Our venue charges a  cake cutting fee if we just serve our wedding cake, but said they'd waive that if we also serve one of their desserts as the menu calls for. So, what we did was arrange to serve a half portion of their (TO-DIE-FOR) creme brulee with a half slice of our wedding cake. We're serving them on the same plate as well (the ramekin next to the slice of cake). I've never been to a wedding that served both before, so we'll see how it goes in a couple of months.
  • NegazillaNegazilla member
    edited December 2011
    The real question is, which do you like better?  The dessert they will serve, or cake?  Because if you like cake and they'll discount the package, that's your answer right there.  I'd say for most people (not me) two desserts would be overkill.
  • edited December 2011
    We had mini desserts served around 9:30, and then cake served later in the evening at around 11pm with coffee.
  • cshulercshuler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it is really an issue, have your dessert served after your meal and give out the cake as a wedding favor for those that want cake.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards