Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Four Stations - WWYD?

Please let me know your thoughts on our menu!  Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

We have four dinner stations at our wedding, 8 passed appetizers, and a stationary appetizer bar.

I want them to be cohesive yet distinct.  I want it to be a well rounded meal, with lots of options, without being too weird.  I want people who have an adventurous palette to be happy while people who are more "meat and potatoes" are able to find plenty to eat and enjoy.  I want vegetarians & carnivores alike to be raving about the food.

Do I want too much???

We were thinking an international theme, with Mid-East, Europe, Asia, and Latin-America being the different tables.  I know that doesn't lend itself to a cohesive menu, but it might be really fun!

We were thinking:

Passed Appetizers:

Ahi Tuna Taco
Scallop ceviche shooters
Shrimp lollipop with cilantro pesto
BBQ Duck & Wild Mushroom Quesadilla
Foie Gras BLT
Emily’s Pizza (gorgonzola, sauteed onions, pear)
Goat cheese popovers with honey and apricot jam
Stuffed mushroom caps

Stationary Appetizers:

Mediterranean "Grazing Table" - marinated olive medley, vine ripened tomato bruchetta laced with fresh roasted garlic, sundried tomato tapenade with goat cheese, hummus, baba ganouj, marinated peppers, and grilled artichoke hearts.  Accompanied by pita crisps and crostini.

Dinner Stations:

Europe – Risotto Milanese “Martini” Station (served to order in martini glasses with a wide variety of toppings including crab meat, chives, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, shaved beef tenderloin, gruyere cheese, and more)

Mid-East – Rock the Casbah (petite lamb loin, rubbed with Moroccan spices and grilled on site and served with our tasty cucumber/yogurt sauce, cous cous tossed with fresh and dried apricots, fresh figs and mint along with curry spiked pumpkin puree)

Asia – Petite grilled salmon filets, brushed with sweet and spicy teriyaki glaze and garnished with black and white sesame seeds and candied orange peel (served cold).  Shrimp lo-mein served in little take-out boxes with optional chopsticks.

Latin America – Marinated carne asada steak with grilled vegetables and red onion marmalade, grilled chicken skewers in a chipotle seasoning, grilled sea bass with fresh mango salsa.

Anniversary

Re: Four Stations - WWYD?

• Options
    DH is a strict vegetarian.  I am an adventurous omnivore.   We would both be happy with your options. 
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_four-stations-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8600aa0c-0959-46db-a85e-9aab75f812a2Post:0064648d-e9f4-452d-856a-575855caf7e0">Re: Four Stations - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH is a strict vegetarian.  I am an adventurous omnivore.   We would both be happy with your options. 
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  The two classifications I'd be worried about are gluten intolerance and veganism, but I feel like there's so few vegans and I should have enough gluten-free items with the meats/seafoods/etc.  And I guess the 'grazing table' and risotto bar and various vegetables could suit vegans, yes?

I know, I'm literally trying to please everyone, and I do know that's impossible.  But I want to think I'm coming pretty close?

Anniversary

• Options
    <div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_four-stations-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8600aa0c-0959-46db-a85e-9aab75f812a2Post:ded81002-9efe-4dba-9d3c-d566b268f611">Re: Four Stations - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Four Stations - WWYD? : Thanks!  The two classifications I'd be worried about are gluten intolerance and veganism, but I feel like there's so few vegans and I should have enough gluten-free items with the meats/seafoods/etc.  <strong>And I guess the 'grazing table' and risotto bar and various vegetables could suit vegans, yes?</strong> I know, I'm literally trying to please everyone, and I do know that's impossible.  But I want to think I'm coming pretty close?
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>Make sure the risotto is vegetarian/vegan.  I think it will often have at least cheese (not vegan), and sometimes chicken stock (not vegetarian).  It's hard for me to tell if the grazing table has things that don't have cheese.  None of your passed apps are vegan, unless the stuffed mushrooms are (you don't say what they're stuffed with).  If you wanted to add more vegan options, what about mujdarrah (lentils and rice with friend onions) on the Middle Eastern table and some veggie fried rice (maybe with pineapple or something) on the Asian table.</div></div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_four-stations-wwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:8600aa0c-0959-46db-a85e-9aab75f812a2Post:e6224663-2ded-41cf-b420-10aff38abace">Re: Four Stations - WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Four Stations - WWYD? : Make sure the risotto is vegetarian/vegan.  I think it will often have at least cheese (not vegan), and sometimes chicken stock (not vegetarian).  It's hard for me to tell if the grazing table has things that don't have cheese.  None of your passed apps are vegan, unless the stuffed mushrooms are (you don't say what they're stuffed with).  If you wanted to add more vegan options, what about mujdarrah (lentils and rice with friend onions) on the Middle Eastern table and some veggie fried rice (maybe with pineapple or something) on the Asian table.
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Ooooh good call!  I'll make sure they make the risotto with vegetable stock, not chicken stock.  All the toppings are optional, so people can choose to add scallions, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, olives, bacon, meat, cheese, etc.

Anniversary

• Options
    That sounds awesome. I'd love to come. I'd add a leafy green salad to round it out, but otherwise very nice job!
  • Options
    I can PM you my address for an invitation.  ;)

Seriously, it all sounds so good.  I think most everyone would be happy with that.
  • Options
    YUM!! To be honest, if any of your guests are picky or not adventurous, then they will probably be making some strange faces at most items, but in the end would find something they like. I wish my menu had looked like this, but my dad would've b*tched about it lol
  • Options
    In addition to chicken stock, butter is a vegan no-no, so make sure the caterer remembers this. And from experience, vegan cheese does not melt, so it would make a poor risotto, so just give up on that one being vegan. If you have a lot of vegans coming, maybe switch it to a mashed potato or pasta bar? Also, have you thought about doing a vegan shortcake? My FMIL makes one with almond milk that is really delicious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards