Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Which is the better cake flavor?

Hello,

Our cake is alternating tiers of:
A) chocolate cake with a Baileys filling

And one of the following:

1) Red Velvet with The traditional Cheese filling.
Or
2) Vanilla Cake with the same cheese filling and the filling stuffed with fresh strawberries

Which do you think is a better choice: 1 or 2?

Also- how do I put a photo in this post?! (Using an ipad)
"Always be kinder than you think is necessary, for you never know what personal battles people are fighting."

Re: Which is the better cake flavor?

• Options

I would do vanilla cake.  But I don't like red velvet cake so I'm might be bias.

I also think vanilla cake balances out a little better.   If chocolate was not a must have I would have had vanilla as the must have and I woud have said either chocolate or red velvet would be fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_which-is-the-better-cake-flavor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:863f8365-8c83-4958-8534-a33f70e3e4c3Post:aa4b4aac-de05-40f0-95bb-6775f2f80e5c">Re: Which is the better cake flavor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do vanilla cake.  But I don't like red velvet cake so I'm might be bias.   I also think vanilla cake balances out a little better.   If chocolate was not a must have I would have had vanilla as the must have and I woud have said either chocolate or red velvet would be fine.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I did not know if it was boring to have vanilla. Neither FI nor I are fans of vanilla, but we wondered if some people may prefer a traditional vanilla cake over chocolate or red velvet.

Of note- today was my first posting (despite lurking for the past 7 months) and you are the first person ever to respond!!!! Haha, I may be disproportionately excited........
    "Always be kinder than you think is necessary, for you never know what personal battles people are fighting."
  • Options
    I would go with the vanilla. I'm not a huge fan of all red velvet. There are a few places I love how they make it, but they are few and far between. Vanilla is more universally liked, IMO.

• Options
    I'm with PPs. Vanilla. I'm biased though because I LOVE vanilla. But vanilla is pretty universal and most people enjoy it. 

Not sure about on an ipad, but there's a little picture of a tree at the bottom of the post box. Click on it and choose your picture. :)
  • Options
    I actually hate vanilla- I never eat it at a wedding because it's usually dry and sweet.  I'd go with chocolate or red velvet- love red velvet, but I've had some super bad red velvet cakes.  I'd be happiest with chocolate. 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love both choc and red velvet but I know two of my family members would be upset not to have vanilla. Don't know where that came from, btw. No tree on an iPad. I can paste a URL, but no picture. I can paste a picture to my profile, but when I link to my siggy, I only get the URL. Guess that's why we have windows at work.
  • Options
    Vanilla with strawberry filling!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_which-is-the-better-cake-flavor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:863f8365-8c83-4958-8534-a33f70e3e4c3Post:4cdf5a6c-0d7a-45d3-832b-67f6477d5bf3">Re: Which is the better cake flavor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is these cheese? I say no to cheese when it comes with cake. Vanilla with the strawberries, sounds good. 
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

Its not actual cheese or cream cheese. Its a mix of butter cream and cream cheese I think. My baker has a limited smount of fillings she can use for outdoor weddings due to the humidity. Haha, that's all I know about it. Then it would have sliced strawberries in the filling.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. FI and I talked and we are choosing the vanilla. Thank you so much. I feel more at ease about the decision now!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_which-is-the-better-cake-flavor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:863f8365-8c83-4958-8534-a33f70e3e4c3Post:f8cc5f53-bba0-4e23-a3b6-e4444352decf">Re: Which is the better cake flavor?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually hate vanilla- I never eat it at a wedding because it's usually dry and sweet.  I'd go with chocolate or red velvet- love red velvet, but I've had some super bad red velvet cakes.  I'd be happiest with chocolate. 
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

Haha. I agree. It will be alternating tiers of: a) chocolate with baileys filling. And. B) vanilla with vanilla/cheese + strawberry filling!
  • Options
    They all sound delicious, and now I am really craving that Baileys one!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Definitely the vanilla with the strawberry filling. 

As previous poster mentioned, it will balance the cake alongside the chocolate and Bailey's beautifully. Besides red velvet is supposedly a form of chocolate cake with red food coloring added to the batter (I think?) so you'd essentially end up with two styles of chocolate cake.

FWIW, I also hate red velvet. It never tastes right, always weird. I'd rather have straight chocolate. I also think the vanilla with the strawberry filling sounds delicious.

If you and your groom aren't die hard red velvet fans then I'd say skip that fad and go with the traditional chocolate and vanilla flavors, they've been crowd pleasers for many years! 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards