Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

TOTAL DIY Catering...anyone trying it?

I'm considering hiring a chef and team for my wedding - not a caterer.  Essentially we will pay their day rates and fees but will supply EVERYTHING.  (equipment, ingredients, alcohol, etc.)  

Basically I've realised that caterers (like any company wanting to make a profit) put a mark up on everything.  I'm wanting to act with suppliers direct, to effectively cut out the middle man and save some money in the end.  

I don't mind the headache of having to piece it all together, all I need is someone with the know-how of quantities of things I need, and some menu ideas.  

I know the first reaction is that I've lost my mind, but I do have all the pieces in place and am confident I can pull it off.  All of the quotes I have received from caterers are £7k+ and I'm estimating (after much research) that I can do it for £4.3k.  

Has/is anyone planning this approach? My main problem is finding someone who will do this.  Can't find ayone online.  Any recommendations for sites/people to find? (UK, London based) 

xx

Re: TOTAL DIY Catering...anyone trying it?

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    Honestly, no we didn't even consider it.  My DH is a professional chef and does events for up to 2000 people.  However, he was like "Hell to the no" on doing his own catering.  He wanted to enjoy the day and not worry about anything.  Plus it's just not the day off. You sometimes have days of prep to do.  Then you have store it properly, transport it.  It's not as easy as you think.

Sounds like if you have a hired chef you will not have as much headache.  Don't forget to add in their costs.  I know my DH is not cheap. Good luck.   The last thing I wanted to do a few days before my wedding is shopping and prep for food for 145 people.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_total-diy-cateringanyone-trying-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:a403cc2c-62ee-40ba-8798-9c55823a4f4dPost:7770d280-c714-484f-b738-a6e3bfd3095b">TOTAL DIY Catering...anyone trying it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm considering hiring a chef and team for my wedding - not a caterer.  Essentially we will pay their day rates and fees but will supply EVERYTHING.  (equipment, ingredients, alcohol, etc.)   Basically I've realised that caterers (like any company wanting to make a profit) put a mark up on everything.  I'm wanting to act with suppliers direct, to effectively cut out the middle man and save some money in the end.   I don't mind the headache of having to piece it all together, all I need is someone with the know-how of quantities of things I need, and some menu ideas.   I know the first reaction is that I've lost my mind, but I do have all the pieces in place and am confident I can pull it off.  All of the quotes I have received from caterers are £7k+ and I'm estimating (after much research) that I can do it for £4.3k.   Has/is anyone planning this approach? My main problem is finding someone who will do this.  Can't find ayone online.  Any recommendations for sites/people to find? (UK, London based)  xx
    Posted by Favouritecake[/QUOTE]

Who is going to supply the china, silverware, glassware and linens?  Who will be doing the serving, the set up and the breakdown?  You have to hire people to do this because you cannot ask guests to work your wedding and in all honesty, you and your FI are not going to want to do all of this on your wedding day.  Caterers get paid what they do for a reason.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Something to consider: will your venue even allow you to do this? Most venues require the caterer to be licensed/bonded. Even if they will allow it, you should purchase an insurance policy to cover the event-if someone gets food poisoning, you want to be covered. 

• I think it's a great idea.  I'm assuming you've come to the conclusion it's less expensive after adding in the costs of ingredients and supplying rentals for equipment and china, crystal, silver, tables, and wait staff to set it up and take it down, and that your venue has no problem with this.  If this is the case, I say go for it if you can find a chef you trust and like.  You're likely to get a far more interesting and personalized range of food than you would from a caterer, for less money.  The only drawback is it's a bit more worry, but you seem prepared for that.  I too am looking into alternative ways to feed my guests than a standard, very expensive caterer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards