Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reception Dinner Menu

I'm thinking about doing a combination platter of filet and crabcake for the entree at my reception. I was wondering is anyone else just doing a combination platter and not giving the guests a choice?

Re: Reception Dinner Menu

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_reception-dinner-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:a5508b3c-b90e-4c8d-8dfc-1a8a47dd7039Post:2e95d8c9-ebd4-4e9c-830d-180f33d0f9e5">Reception Dinner Menu</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm thinking about doing a combination platter of filet and crabcake for the entree at my reception. I was wondering is anyone else just doing a combination platter and not giving the guests a choice?
    Posted by nicoleeichelberger[/QUOTE]

Nice idea but I would stay away from shellfish.  If a person is allergic, they cannot eat anything on the plate.  If my mom were just sitting at the table she'd have to go to the ER because her reaction to shellfish is so sensitive.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love duets. It's a great way to give an option to pickier people and give a little something extra for people who like both.  I would probably put something about the shellfish on the reply card so that guests who are allergic can respond and you can head off that problem with either double portions of the other option or a vegetarian item.

That all said, do you have a vegetarian option?  I would love beef/seafood, but if I were vegetarian that doesn't leave me anything to work with.  

If you've got the vegetarian base covered I think you're good. =) 

ETA: by "something about the shellfish" you could put "Duet of Beef Tenderloin and Crab Cake" followed by the number of people attending space.  If someone has a deadly allergy they can contact you.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We had the exact same duet (South Jersey wedding). People loved them.

We had 2 known shellfish allergies so they got 2 filets.  We had 1 non-beef eater and they got 2 crabcakes.    We did not have any other food restrictions.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We served a duet of filet and lobster tail. We also had a chicken and vegetarian option. For the meat eaters, the overwhelming majority of people chose the duet and some non-vegetarians chose the vegetarian option! We probably could've done without the additional chicken option and just had duet and vegetable wellington. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards